Japan: Take a Punt or Wait

Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:01 am
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Japan: Take a Punt or Wait

I’m looking at possibly going to Japan in November (if they have re-opened to tourists).

Currently I can get reward availability both ways on BA.

If I book an avios redemption is it covered by BWC?

If Japan is not re-opened to tourists would I be likely just to get the avios & taxes back. I doubt I would have many rebooking options to different destinations due possible lack of award availability.

Does it seem sensible to book for Japan now when I can get reward availability on BA or would I be best waiting till it’s confirmed if they will be re-opening for tourists?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by McG
I’m looking at possibly going to Japan in November (if they have re-opened to tourists).

Currently I can get reward availability both ways on BA.

If I book an avios redemption is it covered by BWC?

If Japan is not re-opened to tourists would I be likely just to get the avios & taxes back. I doubt I would have many rebooking options to different destinations due possible lack of award availability.

Does it seem sensible to book for Japan now when I can get reward availability on BA or would I be best waiting till it’s confirmed if they will be re-opening for tourists?
If it's November, it won't be covered by Book With Confidence as that ends 30 September 2022.

However, if you cancel an award flight, you get everything back apart from £35, don't you? That's my understanding of it anyway. Obviously if the flights are cancelled, you'll get everything back.

My view has been to make the bookings now. Once travel reopens, it's likely award availability will be taken pretty quickly. I've been booking travel as normal and well in advance, which has worked out for me, as fares increased once travel came back, but I was already booked on the much lower fares available beforehand.

You really have nothing to lose by booking now, in my opinion.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Book it. My Japanese colleagues suggest entering is getting easier and simpler by tbe month, and November is half a year away. And if you have to cancel you get the avios back.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
As mentioned it won't be covered by BWC, but it's an Avios redemption so you can cancel for £35 per person. You might as well book as the downside is very limited.

Japan is, I think, the only major tourist destination apart from mainland China that has not even spoken about a schedule or roadmap for reopening for tourism. I'd hesitate to say it's likely they'll be open as normal by November, but you don't have much to lose by booking it.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:38 pm

Given the weak yen, I was thinking about booking a few refundable nights for the autumn.

Flights, those are a horse of a different color (could get cancelled/delayed/strikes/etc.).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.