Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet another cancelled flight - part of BA Holidays - options

Yet another cancelled flight - part of BA Holidays - options

Old Apr 29, 22, 11:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 258
Yet another cancelled flight - part of BA Holidays - options

Hi all,

Alas I have befallen the BA wielded cancellation axe and an inbound flight has now been removed.

The flights were booked as part of a BA flights and hotel package, and I was wondering if there was wiggle room to get another night added on BA's dime.

The cancellation notice is for more than 2 weeks. The reason why I want an extra day is because the previous flight time meant we got to spend more of less the whole day at our desired location before heading back, but now the option is going to be check out and straight to airport.

Do you think we'll have any wiggle room on that?

Thanks!
ILikePancakes is offline  
Old Apr 30, 22, 3:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes View Post
Hi all,

Alas I have befallen the BA wielded cancellation axe and an inbound flight has now been removed.

The flights were booked as part of a BA flights and hotel package, and I was wondering if there was wiggle room to get another night added on BA's dime.

The cancellation notice is for more than 2 weeks. The reason why I want an extra day is because the previous flight time meant we got to spend more of less the whole day at our desired location before heading back, but now the option is going to be check out and straight to airport.

Do you think we'll have any wiggle room on that?

Thanks!
It certainly is better if you have some options in mind for when you contact BA holidays or they contact you. They'll notice the cancellation and do something about it; however it depends on how busy they are and how soon your holiday is. If you can get through and discuss your preferred option then you might get it especially if it doesn't cost BAH much.

If there's no reasonable BA flight alternative they will probably will book you onto a oneworld airline but if there is a BA flight that leaves later or earlier giving you the same length of stay then you might have more of a fight. Generally you'll have a cancellation and full refund opportunity but many people don't want to take this with alternative holidays generally being more money. ABTA guidelines talk about a 6 hour change being significant for a two week break.
firstlight is offline  
Old Apr 30, 22, 5:58 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 258
Thanks! Meanwhile, another flight for a different trip also got cancelled... Impressive!
ILikePancakes is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:13 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cheltenham
Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Posts: 2,172
Just coming back to this: We have a BAH to Catania booked for 8 nights departing 12th July .
The Inbound was cancelled a few days ago ; departed 1240 on the 20th . The later flight departing 2155 was still operating but we really did not want to arrive back in LGW at 0010 so opted for the 1240 on the 21st. BAH said we would have to foot the bill for the extra night in the hotel which seemed reasonable.
Now the flight on the 21st looks as though it will be canceled ; the next available being on the 22nd. Will BA pay for a hotel in this instance?
Thanks
simonsmith is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 2:28 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,468
I waited to see if simonsmith got a reply, but I'll bump this and see if we can both get some help...

BAH booking EDI-LHR-DOH-HKT-DOH-EDI has had cancellations on the HKT-DOH leg as QR rearrange their timetable - oddly for QR the new timing of the flight from Thailand now misses the early hour flight bank. So I had intended to ask about my options, but now my wife has a new job to start meaning she won't be available for this trip [bye-bye single trip Gold!] - do we have any options to move the timing of the trip wholesale due to the cancellation? I think flight bookings are something like -3/+14, but that won't get us anywhere useful unfortunately. If we're SOOL it's not the end of the world, just figured I'd ask...!
etiene is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 2:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post
Just coming back to this: We have a BAH to Catania booked for 8 nights departing 12th July .
The Inbound was cancelled a few days ago ; departed 1240 on the 20th . The later flight departing 2155 was still operating but we really did not want to arrive back in LGW at 0010 so opted for the 1240 on the 21st. BAH said we would have to foot the bill for the extra night in the hotel which seemed reasonable.
Now the flight on the 21st looks as though it will be canceled ; the next available being on the 22nd. Will BA pay for a hotel in this instance?
Thanks
They might although the previous changes might make it less likely, our latest email from BAH holidays sent a week before our trip has this text...

'If for any reason your return flight home can't operate, we'll get you on the next available flight. If this requires an overnight stay, rest assured that the cost of an extension at your current BA Holidays hotel can be claimed using this form.'
firstlight is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 2:45 am
  #7  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,198
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
I waited to see if simonsmith got a reply, but I'll bump this and see if we can both get some help...

BAH booking EDI-LHR-DOH-HKT-DOH-EDI has had cancellations on the HKT-DOH leg as QR rearrange their timetable - oddly for QR the new timing of the flight from Thailand now misses the early hour flight bank. So I had intended to ask about my options, but now my wife has a new job to start meaning she won't be available for this trip [bye-bye single trip Gold!] - do we have any options to move the timing of the trip wholesale due to the cancellation? I think flight bookings are something like -3/+14, but that won't get us anywhere useful unfortunately. If we're SOOL it's not the end of the world, just figured I'd ask...!
The usual position with BAH is that that they will offer a rebooking close to the original dates, allowing a few days either side, or offer rebooking at completely new dates but any increases to hotel costs will be presented to you (and perhaps QR fare changes). So that could be a little or a lot. Or you get a full refund.
etiene likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 2:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,460
Originally Posted by etiene View Post
I waited to see if simonsmith got a reply, but I'll bump this and see if we can both get some help...

BAH booking EDI-LHR-DOH-HKT-DOH-EDI has had cancellations on the HKT-DOH leg as QR rearrange their timetable - oddly for QR the new timing of the flight from Thailand now misses the early hour flight bank. So I had intended to ask about my options, but now my wife has a new job to start meaning she won't be available for this trip [bye-bye single trip Gold!] - do we have any options to move the timing of the trip wholesale due to the cancellation? I think flight bookings are something like -3/+14, but that won't get us anywhere useful unfortunately. If we're SOOL it's not the end of the world, just figured I'd ask...!
On a package holiday if there's been a cancellation I think you should be able to get a refund if the new arrangements change the duration of your holiday or the timing significantly (6 hours)

This far out I assume you've only paid a deposit at this stage so BAH should refund that.

i think you can try with BAH to change the dates but that might depend on the hotel and flight availability and I suspect it will be repriced. I suggest you know what you want to do before you call and have a look at availability and prices on Google flights.

Alternatively you might try negotiating with the new employer, which I've done before, saying this is prebooked holiday (honeymoon/anniversary trip/birthday/bucket list) so you maintain it and get to gold as planned.

Good luck
etiene likes this.
firstlight is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 6:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The usual position with BAH is that that they will offer a rebooking close to the original dates, allowing a few days either side, or offer rebooking at completely new dates but any increases to hotel costs will be presented to you (and perhaps QR fare changes). So that could be a little or a lot. Or you get a full refund.
It's the flight prices that worry me, hotel prices look broadly similar. Of course the flight prices are much higher - even later in the year, but the reality is that going this month before she starts would be the ideal. We can but ring up and ask...

Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Alternatively you might try negotiating with the new employer, which I've done before, saying this is prebooked holiday (honeymoon/anniversary trip/birthday/bucket list) so you maintain it and get to gold as planned.

Good luck
Indeed, this is what I would have done - unfortunately her sector works on rather different principles and is much less conducive to such suggestions.

Thanks both - much appreciated.
etiene is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 11:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
offer rebooking at completely new dates but any increases to hotel costs will be presented to you (and perhaps QR fare changes). So that could be a little or a lot. Or you get a full refund.
Just to update: we were able to ask for our choice of dates and only paid a small delta which I presume to be the result of hotel price changes or currency fluctuations. This actually caught me on the hop since I'd let the missus make the call and hadn't finessed the flights to my usual degree - nevertheless we're very happy. Costing me a year of Gold though, since I'm a September baby round here - C'est la vie.

Thanks for the pointers.
T8191 likes this.
etiene is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 11:56 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 31,209
An interesting conversation, as we had some major BAH re-setting last year. Change dates, airports, extend stay … no charge! The only personal cost was an accommodation upgrade at the end of the saga, and even then BAH paid part of the cost.

See the first part of this TR … A Caribbean Escape - at last!
T8191 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread