Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How early can I get through security to the lounge?

Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I have a first class flight leaving LHR for JFL at 14.35, but due to BA cancellation I may now need to fly from my connecting airport to LHR the night before. Whilst I and my bags can be checked through, I will obviously have to exit the airport for the night. How early can I return to the airport the next day to make use of the airside lounge facilities? BA have advised it's 3 hours as security will not anyone through for their flight earlier - is that the experience of travellers here?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by zombiesheep
I have a first class flight leaving LHR for JFL at 14.35, but due to BA cancellation I may now need to fly from my connecting airport to LHR the night before. Whilst I and my bags can be checked through, I will obviously have to exit the airport for the night. How early can I return to the airport the next day to make use of the airside lounge facilities? BA have advised it's 3 hours as security will not anyone through for their flight earlier - is that the experience of travellers here?

hi

On a normal day it is anytime after 0500.
the three hour limit is a checkin opening time used by BA if there are major ops problems causing queues in the terminal but normally it is check in anytime on the day

regards

Tbs
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks, tbs. I called BA First for You and they were adamant it was 3 hours - perhaps they are just trying to control crowds?!
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks, tbs. I called BA First for You and they were adamant it was 3 hours - perhaps they are just trying to control crowds?!
i suspect their practical experience of going through LHR is several orders of magnitude lower than your average FT’er.i think you are best off with the advice from here.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
BA have advised it's 3 hours as security will not anyone through for their flight earlier - is that the experience of travellers here?
Went through around T-5 hr earlier this year with no issue.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
I went through today at 12.30pm for an 18.45 departure after an overnight at Heathrow. No problem at all.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To some extent I can understand this - 3 hours is the recommended check-in time which sometimes becomes a fiat - on a few rare days they don't let passengers into the building until 3 hours. So saying 3 hours makes sense, and on occasions economy baggage drop gets blocked until 3 hours (though the self drop machines are a bit tempramental about that so they often still work). But for those with lounge access in particular there isn't a restriction and you are ok to go anytime that day. And yes, there are some questions which are frankly better asked here, I am often puzzled why people call up which this forum almost always is faster and more accurate.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did a T3 lounge bash a few years ago. Flight to LUX was circa 1500 and we were in the BA F Lounge at about 9sh.

Popped via QF for a gin cocktail or three, before proceeding to the CX F Lounge for a MUCH needed meal to soak up the days frivolities.

We then remembered we actually had a flight to catch.

Hope that helps.
Fatdickie, dhuey and jokerjokerj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.