Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
And I think the walking distance from the far D gates to get landside at AMS is pretty much the same as that from a T5B gate to get landside at LHR too - or at least google maps and measuring the distances suggests there is not much in it
stefan_nl likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
And apparently, it's really busy today at Schiphol. As far as I can see it's in about every terminal, Schengen, and Non-Schengen alike. Apparently, it's a peak day at Schiphol (there is a national holiday Thursday, but no school vacations). Also people are reporting that the priority lanes are closed to all but Privium members. It seem that security at T1 and T2 where closed and everyone was redirected to T3 somewhere around 13:30.

This does seem to be security at T3:

Old May 23, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
I was meant to be on the late afternoon AMS-LCY flight that was DULY cancelled and had us put on RTM-LCY.

I only found that out after gotten to AMS to thousands of people queuing and have noone to attend for ticketing.

As I was already moved to RTM-LCY, i tried to find my way to get there and the whole airport was, in general, empty. probably 2 hours lte into LCY so hopefully some compensation.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:08 pm

Apperently last sunday night some passengers tried to strom security.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/chao...role~b83550c6/
On Sunday evening, a scuffle broke out at the security checkpoint in Hall 1 when, despite the long queues, the security guards closed a number of security row shutters because their shift was over.

Then people who had to wait long in line for the check started running amok. The situation became so dire that threatened security personnel decided to stop working and close the entire control. Then the situation got out of hand.

'Sunday evening was a pretty tough evening at Schiphol,' the manager of security company CTSN, responsible for checking passengers and hand luggage, wrote to his staff today. 'At one point a very dangerous situation arose, in which the safety of the employees and passengers was compromised. There was also a very high risk of mass walkers'.

The latter means that large groups of passengers could have passed through to the aircraft without being checked.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:02 am

RTM alternative

Hi,
We have a BA flight in 2 weeks AMS-LCY (Monday evening). Given the ongoing situation at Schiphol, would it make sense to move the departure to Rotterdam? Flights leave around the same time but we would obviously need to allow extra time for the train to Rotterdam. Thanks
SxMan likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
We have a BA flight in 2 weeks AMS-LCY (Monday evening). Given the ongoing situation at Schiphol, would it make sense to move the departure to Rotterdam? Flights leave around the same time but we would obviously need to allow extra time for the train to Rotterdam. Thanks
always preferable to use Rotterdam in my experience.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:45 am

Thanks. Will BA cancel one of our bookings if we have AMS-LCY and RTM-LCY booked within 1h difference? (Would prefer to keep both bookings for the moment to see how the situation at Schiphol evolves).
Old May 24, 2022, 12:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks. Will BA cancel one of our bookings if we have AMS-LCY and RTM-LCY booked within 1h difference? (Would prefer to keep both bookings for the moment to see how the situation at Schiphol evolves).
No. What I would say about that is that BA would offer RTM-LCY as a fare difference change if you wanted to make that decision, which I suspect will be inexpensive. On the other hand you can more or less guess when AMS is going to be so busy as to justify going to RTM, and Monday evening would not figure on my estimation as a peak period. You would have to think about a 90 minutes plus queue at AMS to justify the trip to RTM and it's only that bad at peak periods.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/my-travel-day/today
Old May 24, 2022, 2:03 am

Thanks for the infos, cws! I have checked the link provided and on our travel date it says "Departure: peak day. We expect it to be very busy in the departure hall". I think it is school holidays in The Netherlands so it looks like AMS might be quite crowded on those dates.

We actually have Avios tickets so we have some flexibility, might change the departure to RTM as there is still award space available.

Edit: does anyone know why BA 8456 AMS-LCY was cancelled yesterday?

Last edited by Mister P.; May 24, 2022 at 2:07 am Reason: Edit: does anyone know why BA 8456 AMS-LCY was cancelled yesterday?
Old May 24, 2022, 2:53 am

Thanks for the infos, cws! I have checked the link provided and on our travel date it says "Departure: peak day. We expect it to be very busy in the departure hall". I think it is school holidays in The Netherlands so it
Technically, there is no school holiday before the 9th of July in the Netherland. There is a holiday this week (Thursday, ascension) and most schools have the Friday after off as well. But to be honest almost every day from now to the school holidays in the summer (and of course the school holidays themselves) are busy or peak days for Schiphol. There is an enormous staff shortage at security. From different experiences there is no real way to predict how busy it will actually will be when you're flying. I have seen reports from people who were airside in 30 min (without any prio) and people who waited 2+ hours for security. On all times of day, day by day its different, basically Schiphol wait times are a lottery.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Confus
Don’t Dutch kids break up for summer a few weeks before British ones? In that case AMS will be a mess. I’d be getting the train (but then I would in any case, subject to Eurostar having a sensible fare, as I like travelling by train and find it convenient to the city as well).
The Eurostar fares - especially the direct ones - are quite steep (I prefer Standard Premier) especially as I was going to fly on miles, but it sounds that it's the way to go (and come back!)
Thanks for the insight. Seems they wil be in trouble for quite a while yet.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:35 am

Then again, as I am halfway between AMS and RTM, perhaps RTM is the better option. Not flown out of there in years, but much smaller and, surely, less chance for things to go wrong?
Old May 24, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Blue Peter
Then again, as I am halfway between AMS and RTM, perhaps RTM is the better option. Not flown out of there in years, but much smaller and, surely, less chance for things to go wrong?
100000% better to go from Rotterdam. I'm tempted to change my usual LCY-AMS return to a multi city LCY-AMS and then RTM-LCY return.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Apperently last sunday night some passengers tried to strom security.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/chao...role~b83550c6/
Not any of us Brits as we love a queue.

Probably Feyenoord fans on the way to Tirana
Old May 24, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I'm in a Facebook group with a bunch of British People living in The Netherlands, so get sent pictures/reports daily too from them. Over the past few weeks, I've seen it fluctuate daily from 20mins to 3 hours.

I would definitely recommend RTM-LCY vs AMS at the moment if the distance is negligible. Even then, the travel from RTM to Amsterdam Centraal station is about 1 hour - you just have to account for the cost of that depending on how many people are travelling.

I have had flights held for delayed passengers due security (potentially because they also had bags checked in) for about 30mins max, but don't bet on that. If you have priority, try departures 2 (behind the KLM check in desks 9-16) priority entrance first which is on the right hand side, followed by the one behind the check in entrance, followed by Departures 3. This is because of how the priority entrance is segregated and makes it much easier to access.

I'm making a further trip mid June and early July to follow this on with more info. By far the worse I've seen Schiphol for the years I've lived here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.