Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

State of Schiphol for BA (to LHR) queues etc?

Old May 2, 22, 6:07 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by CoweyB View Post
At AMS, and just checked in my bag for LCY. Massive, massive queues.

The check in agent said the queue for security was better from departure area B behind check in area 9 so we went there. She confirmed no priority boarding for BA Gold or Silver as it was shut.

Currently in queue but it is moving.
After two hours in queue for security (the final approach had seven twisting chicanes we quickly called the seven circles of Hell) - we made it to D24, speedwalking, at 13:15.

Boarding started at 13:35 gate agent announcing no time for group boarding today, please just come forward for the flight.

In the exit seat feeling very relieved and needing a G&T.

Thirty five minutes later we are still on the ground and looking forward from the exit row there are about 6 or 7 empty seats on our full flight today.

Someone came on and noted the empty seat numbers.

Four new passengers subsequently arrived and the capitan has announced a further delay of 15 mins waiting for bags to be loaded due to the shortage of ground staff.

No water offered, unfortunately.
CoweyB is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 6:43 am
  #47  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,370
Not sure if it's been mentioned on the BA forum before, but it appears that UK passports can now be used at the e-Gates at AMS. Not that that would help much at the moment...
DYKWIA is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 6:44 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned on the BA forum before, but it appears that UK passports can now be used at the e-Gates at AMS. Not that that would help much at the moment...
Maybe a temporary thing to help ease the congestion?
MaxFlyer is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 1:01 pm
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AMS/LON
Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Silver
Posts: 201
when I was there on Friday, access to fast track security was open to everyone with status - it wasn't restricted to Privium members.
happyintheair is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 4:20 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 2,779
Originally Posted by happyintheair View Post
when I was there on Friday, access to fast track security was open to everyone with status - it wasn't restricted to Privium members.
That worked once we were up the stairs. But there was a long queue around the check-in areas and in the tunnel back to the main hall before you could get there. No priority at that point.

I noticed later on that BA check-in had been moved back from desks 17 to 18 because the area around 17 was being used for more queuing (the 7 circles of hell mentioned earlier)
Radiation Station likes this.
alex67500 is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 4:23 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: Kettle Class
Posts: 654
Very helpful info here. Are you still required to line up outside the terminal if you have a boarding pass already and are traveling HBO? Trying to prepare myself for how to at least join the right line when I fly out on BA429 later this week.
progapanda is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 5:17 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold
Posts: 387
We got the late flight on Monday BA443, departing 2120.
Arrived at AMS about 3h before departure. There was one couple in front of us to check in at BA, just one check in was open at that time.
Security - there was no fast track open. Privum looked closed too. However it was very quiet, just walked straight to an open lane. No need to unpack fluids or laptops either because of the scanning technology they have.
Spent nearly 2h in the Lounge 41. Not great but comfortable enough and good view of part of the airport and runway. Enough beer, spirit and wine to keep you going.
Boarding was just a free for all and delayed take off by about 20 mins.
Landing at T5 - terminal very quiet. Baggage appearing on carousel as soon as we arrived, despite us being one of the first off the flight and straight through immigration. Seemed to have offloaded priority luggage first too!
I assume AMS is just much quieter in the evening?
danmushman is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 8:12 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: EDI
Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer View Post
Maybe a temporary thing to help ease the congestion?
No, I think it's permanent. I passed through AMS a couple of weeks ago, before all the current nonsense, and the Union flag was on the board and the e-gate worked. You just have to remember to get your passport stamped after the gate.
DYKWIA likes this.
Ardecos is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 8:24 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by danmushman View Post
We got the late flight on Monday BA443, departing 2120.
Arrived at AMS about 3h before departure. There was one couple in front of us to check in at BA, just one check in was open at that time.
Security - there was no fast track open. Privum looked closed too. However it was very quiet, just walked straight to an open lane. No need to unpack fluids or laptops either because of the scanning technology they have.
Spent nearly 2h in the Lounge 41. Not great but comfortable enough and good view of part of the airport and runway. Enough beer, spirit and wine to keep you going.
Boarding was just a free for all and delayed take off by about 20 mins.
Landing at T5 - terminal very quiet. Baggage appearing on carousel as soon as we arrived, despite us being one of the first off the flight and straight through immigration. Seemed to have offloaded priority luggage first too!
I assume AMS is just much quieter in the evening?
Yes, if you look at the official Schiphol
predictions for when the airport is busy, its pretty much a raging inferno of existential pain from around 8am to late afternoon, but otherwise fine.

On reflection, I still think its completely absurd that there is no attempt to prioritise passengers with status or premium cabin bookings in the departure hall - this wouldnt be difficult to engineer and manager if the organisation were competent. Whats the point of paying for your status/premium flight to then be made to queue for three hours with everyone else? Its not in any way a premium experience and you wont even get to use the lounge either.

I think one of the other issues is that people have heard how bad AMS is and are now coming to the airport ridiculously early for their flight, say five hours in advance. This just leads to much worse congestion.
Radiation Station is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 10:22 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Anything i can do to make it through schipol?

We are not flying until June. Flying to lhr then sea. We will be checking 1 bag and flying on US passports.

Our flights were already messed up. BA changed our flight to arrive at 15:20 and our flight to Sea departs at 15:30. So we were able to change to an early flight.

But, i am stressing about getting checked in and through security.

Is there any advise you can send my way?

Last edited by Pattys00; May 2, 22 at 10:43 pm
Pattys00 is offline  
Old May 3, 22, 3:42 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 2,779
Originally Posted by progapanda View Post
Very helpful info here. Are you still required to line up outside the terminal if you have a boarding pass already and are traveling HBO? Trying to prepare myself for how to at least join the right line when I fly out on BA429 later this week.
Yes, because the queue is for security, not for check-in. The lack of staff is on the security front apparently. If you have status or travelling business, then use the stairs to the right once you get to the e-gates where you scan your boarding pass (follow the sign which says priority). That'll save you maybe 30 minutes. But you'll still have to join the long queue around the terminal to start with.

By the way the level of queue jumping attempts was unbelievable. Be prepared for it.
progapanda likes this.
alex67500 is offline  
Old May 3, 22, 3:44 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 2,779
Originally Posted by Pattys00 View Post
We are not flying until June. Flying to lhr then sea. We will be checking 1 bag and flying on US passports.

Our flights were already messed up. BA changed our flight to arrive at 15:20 and our flight to Sea departs at 15:30. So we were able to change to an early flight.

But, i am stressing about getting checked in and through security.

Is there any advise you can send my way?
First, wait and see if it gets better. It probably will. And then turn up really early, 3 hours should do it but if you're really stressed then add some time.
alex67500 is offline  
Old May 3, 22, 4:02 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,806
If anyone is flying through AMS as part of an ex-EU positioning flight, not doing a B2B and doesnt need to go into central Amsterdam for sightseeing etc then I would suggest flying down the night before and staying over at the in airport Yotel, budget and logistics allowing of course.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
MaxFlyer is offline  
Old May 3, 22, 4:08 am
  #59  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,351
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer View Post
If anyone is flying through AMS as part of an ex-EU positioning flight, not doing a B2B and doesnt need to go into central Amsterdam for sightseeing etc then I would suggest flying down the night before and staying over at the in airport Yotel, budget and logistics allowing of course.
I had forgotten about that one. I had been looking at the Mecure which is also airside, but it doesn't seem to have reopened.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 3, 22, 4:31 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA GfL & GGL, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,806
The Yotel can be very expensive. If you dont mind roughing it then theres a quiet area opposite the lifts to the Aspire and old BA lounge which have chaise lounge style sleeping chairs with power sockets. Then you can go up to the Aspire lounge when it opens.
KARFA likes this.
MaxFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread