Wiki Posts
Search

security or not on connection?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hobbes01
Thanks. Yes, an INT -> INT connection. If only there was a way of knowing in Flight Connections what the lines/wait times are like at connections/landside before having to make the decision. Assuming conformance is not an issue, will flip a coin to decide!
as immigration and connections are next to each other you should easily get a sense of how busy either route is on the day to compare.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
True, but there's no way of knowing how busy landside security is. Immigration could be empty and the Fast Track line being held at the bottom of the escalators, only for landside security to be twice as busy. I'll work on the same premise that I do when picking any other queue - no matter which one I pick, the other one will move faster so best to not fret about it!
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
On a T5 DUB - INT connection, or I guess INT - INT, if you chose to go via Flight Connections is there a separate security area, or do you get funnelled up to North / South security?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
A question if it's ok, I have a 1:45 T5-T5 INTL-INTL connection next month, I've always gone landside before, but never with so little time.

With not being able to use the egates anymore, and sub 2 hours am I best following the airside connections route? I'm kind of hoping my incoming flight comes into B then I can use B security.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

With 1hr 45min you have plenty of time as the minimum connection time is 1hr

No need for passport control just a security check ( an arrival at b gates would be ideal)

I would go flight connections ( what passport do you hold?

regards
Tbs
S_W_S likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

With 1hr 45min you have plenty of time as the minimum connection time is 1hr

No need for passport control just a security check ( an arrival at b gates would be ideal)

I would go flight connections ( what passport do you hold?

regards
Tbs
Thanks TBS, British passport, but as detailed earlier on the egates thread, I now get rejected every time and have to have a chat with border force.
If it still worked I would probably go landside without a second thought (I always have done before).
Rejection, then a queue to chat to border force, then explaining to them what I'm doing before being allowed into the UK, and back upstairs to the F wing all eats into a relatively short connection.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by krispy84
On a T5 DUB - INT connection, or I guess INT - INT, if you chose to go via Flight Connections is there a separate security area, or do you get funnelled up to North / South security?
Separate lane within the south side security set up if memory serves me right.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you get funnelled up to north & south security. usually fast track goes up to north, normal track to south. once up there, the people coming from connections tend to be kept in separate lanes from those coming from landside.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is no requirement to re-do security on a purely UK trip, so NCL to anywhere at T5 means no security. NCL to anywhere at T3 does mean security due to the mixing with other passengers. There is always a security check after arriving outside the UK, that includes Dublin, so you are best to go landside at T5 from DUB and then go through main security there from landside.
Before T5 opened I never connected in LHR (anything starting inthe UK regions I used KLM). I did many point to point domestics from T1 on BA and BD but I can't recall seeing signs for flight connections. So back in the T1 days was there a flight connections route from domestic - T1 international that skipped security or is that another benefit T5 provided us?

When Virgin ran Little Red (UK domestics) they used to put a bus on taking passengers arriving from UK destinations direct to T3 skipping security (Little Red had to use T2 as T3 can't handle domestic flights).
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by layz
Before T5 opened I never connected in LHR (anything starting inthe UK regions I used KLM). I did many point to point domestics from T1 on BA and BD but I can't recall seeing signs for flight connections. So back in the T1 days was there a flight connections route from domestic - T1 international that skipped security or is that another benefit T5 provided us?
IIRC, by the time BA moved out of T1 there was indeed such a flight connections route from domestic. Just before you reached domestic baggage claim, you could go up a flight of stairs that led to a corridor that went over the duty free shop and decanted you into the departures area somewhere near the entrance to the BA lounges. I don't know whether this existed in T1's earlier days, and I have a suspicion that it was added during the last big T1 rebuild.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

When I connected dom to intl at t1 I do not recall going through security again at lhr so there must have been a way.

I do recall a long overhead passage way over the departures lounge enroute to the bus to t4 ( in those days) with security at t4

regards
Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.