Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting in and out of Heathrow at T5 - but can I use a lounge in T3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Flying into and out of T5 Heathrow and have a long layover time.

I want to use the Cathay Pacific lounge in T3 as I have Oneworld status.

Is this possible?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cris Forman
Is this possible?
As T5 guessing some BA / OW flights
Are T5 lounges if flying OW and have OW Emerald / OW sapphire / access by class of travel
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LHR

BA forum-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
2022 Fastest transfer LHR T5 to T3
2017 Getting from T5 to T3 at LHR

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 25, 2022 at 3:33 am
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT.

You should have posted your Q in the BA forum for much faster and accurate response.

Moderator please move to BA forum.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Cris Forman

Is this possible?
No because you need to pass security. You should be able to use the BA Galleries Club or First lounge at T5 depending on your status.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
This topic comes up quite frequently. The general concensus is Yes You can if you are in transit

provided you do not go into the departures area at T5 but instead hop on a transfer bus to T3. You can get into T3 with a T5 boarding pass but it may take a little persauding. Its not true the other way around, no T5 access with a T3 boarding pass.

Security in T3 may decline at first but with some investigation, talking to a supervisor, they will find out you can. I suspect this is mostly down to new staff not so familiar with the rules

But, you are looking at around potentially 30 to 40 minutes transfer time each way, and 2 security checks instead of one, so this falls into the "is it worth it" camp. For some people it will be, for others it will not be.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
After clearing security at T3 one would be in the departures area. Is getting from T3 departures back down to the T5 transfer bus a seamless experience? i.e. follow the purple connections signs for T5. I’ve never tried this but may give it a go with an upcoming 5 hour layover T5/T5.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by houstr8male
After clearing security at T3 one would be in the departures area. Is getting from T3 departures back down to the T5 transfer bus a seamless experience? i.e. follow the purple connections signs for T5. I’ve never tried this but may give it a go with an upcoming 5 hour layover T5/T5.
as long as you know where you are going it is relatively straight forward. there are some diagrams in this post in the T5 connection guide A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
scottishpoet likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Thanks for the link KARFA. I was concerned getting from the T3 departures area back to flight connections would be difficult or invoke asking staff to let me pass. I’ll need to spend more time reviewing your guide so I know the door, hallway, or escalator to look for.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I am getting different answers here. I will be departing T5 but if I get to the airport 6 hours before my scheduled departure, could I use the airside transit to T3 and use the lounges there. ( I have extensively read the post but some members say yes, others are adamant you need to stay in T5)
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am getting different answers here. I will be departing T5 but if I get to the airport 6 hours before my scheduled departure, could I use the airside transit to T3 and use the lounges there. ( I have extensively read the post but some members say yes, others are adamant you need to stay in T5)
If you are just departing and not connecting at LHR then it’s just about possible but really not recommend at all.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
If you are just departing and not connecting at LHR then it’s just about possible but really not recommend at all.
but why not recommended? I arrive by bus at heathrow at 9am in the morning. My flight is 17.30. Whilst I like the first wing lounge, the T3 lounges are calmer IMO as is shopping in T3
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
but why not recommended? I arrive by bus at heathrow at 9am in the morning. My flight is 17.30. Whilst I like the first wing lounge, the T3 lounges are calmer IMO as is shopping in T3
hi

if leaving from t5 there is a lot of faff.

After clearing t5 security you will need to get into the arrivals stream
Best way to do this is transit to c gates the stay on the transit
Once back at the a gates take the flight connections bus to t3 clear security there
After t3 take the flight connections bus back to t5
there at the boarding pass check issues ( potentially even affecting seat choice iirc) will arise as you will have been marked as entering the terminal already and will take time to resolve ( not sure of the exact process)

Regards

Tbs
RichieMc and stevebintley like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 27, 2022 at 4:02 am
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
hi

if leaving from t5 there is a lot of faff.

After clearing t5 security you will need to get into the arrivals stream
Best way to do this is transit to c gates the stay on the transit
Once back at the a gates take the flight connections bus to t3 clear security there
After t3 take the flight connections bus back to t5
there at the boarding pass check issues will arise as you will have been marked as entering the terminal already and will take time to resolve ( not sure of the exact process)

Regards

Tbs
thanks
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC
This gets a little more complicated. I assume you mean you are arriving at LHR by car or bus or whatever rather than on a plane and transiting. On a connecting flight it is easily doable if you use the excellent above mentioned guide. If you are not connecting, you CANNOT go directly through security at T3 with a T5 boarding pass. You'd need to go through T5 security first. Then get the train to B & C gates. Then stay on it past stop C. At that point you are mixed in with transit passengers. And you can use the airside transfer buses to get to T3. I've never personally done this but there are tales that it has been done. Don't know why it wouldn't work, other than someone kicking you off the train before it turns around. If that were to happen, you'd have to walk from T5C back to wherever your flight departs from.

I am definitely a fan of breaking up a long layover with some time in Cathay and/or Qantas lounges. But I wouldn't arrive 6 hours early for a flight just to do it. Hang out somewhere in London. Or you could just hop around the 3 BA lounges in T5.

EDIT: just seen my compatriots earlier comprehensive answer above.
The _Banking_Scot and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
This gets a little more complicated. I assume you mean you are arriving at LHR by car or bus or whatever rather than on a plane and transiting. On a connecting flight it is easily doable if you use the excellent above mentioned guide. If you are not connecting, you CANNOT go directly through security at T3 with a T5 boarding pass. You'd need to go through T5 security first. Then get the train to B & C gates. Then stay on it past stop C. At that point you are mixed in with transit passengers. And you can use the airside transfer buses to get to T3. I've never personally done this but there are tales that it has been done. Don't know why it wouldn't work, other than someone kicking you off the train before it turns around. If that were to happen, you'd have to walk from T5C back to wherever your flight departs from.

I am definitely a fan of breaking up a long layover with some time in Cathay and/or Qantas lounges. But I wouldn't arrive 6 hours early for a flight just to do it. Hang out somewhere in London. Or you could just hop around the 3 BA lounges in T5.

EDIT: just seen my compatriots earlier comprehensive answer above.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.