Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Closes IAH Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
With Chicago closing alongside Houston, the only BA Lounges left in the USA would be as below;

- Baltimore
- Boston
- Newark
- New York JFK ( joint-lounge with AA )
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Washington Dulles

Here is my summary of my expectations,

From this list, I expect SFO and SEA to be shut down when their respective leases end as there are alternative OW and contract lounges in the terminal; alongside, PHL to be closed when the AA Flagship Lounge opens up at the same terminal; BA is unlikely to keep the lounge solely for a single daily flight, alongside getting some money from EI and FI passengers; QR is also likely to send their pax to AA Flagship once opens up.
  • EWR would stick due to the only non-BA Lounge in the same terminal ( Terminal B2 ) being the VS Lounge and I doubt VS would contract their own space to BA.
  • IAD would stick due to no third party contract lounges in the airport. AF, LH, VS are unlikely to open their doors to BA for a contract lounge. TK could open their doors but still the capacity wouldn't be able to handle an A380 load of passengers alongside with the current levels of passengers there.
  • BWI would stick due to no other lounge at the same terminal. There is the Club Lounge at the adjacent terminal which is a 15 minute walk from the BA gates, but that lounge could only handle 30-50 people at the same time.
  • BOS is also likely to stick since it's the second most crowded outstation of BA in the USA in terms of capacity and since there are no contract lounges in Terminal E, I doubt any other airline would open their doors to BA for their own passengers.
Old May 27, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
With Chicago closing alongside Houston, the only BA Lounges left in the USA would be as below;

- Baltimore
- Boston
- Newark
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Washington Dulles

From this list, I expect SFO and SEA to be shut down when their respective leases end as there are alternative OW and contract lounges in the terminal; alongside, PHL to be closed when the AA Flagship Lounge opens up at the same terminal; BA is unlikely to keep the lounge solely for a single daily flight, alongside getting some money from EI and FI passengers; QR is also likely to send their pax to AA Flagship once opens up.
  • EWR would stick due to the only non-BA Lounge in the same terminal ( Terminal B2 ) being the VS Lounge and I doubt VS would contract their own space to BA.
  • IAD would stick due to no third party contract lounges in the airport. AF, LH, VS are unlikely to open their doors to BA for a contract lounge. TK could open their doors but still the capacity wouldn't be able to handle an A380 load of passengers alongside with the current levels of passengers there.
  • BWI would stick due to no other lounge at the same terminal. There is the Club Lounge at the adjacent terminal which is a 15 minute walk from the BA gates, but that lounge could only handle 30-50 people at the same time.
  • BOS is also likely to stick since it's the second most crowded outstation of BA in the USA in terms of capacity and since there are no contract lounges in Terminal E, I doubt any other airline would open their doors to BA for their own passengers.
Ummm... is there a recommendation for which lounge pesos should use at IAH somewhere in there?

Regards
Old May 27, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: VS LT Gold 1MM, BA Gold, M&M Frequent, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

- Baltimore
- Boston
- Newark
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Washington Dulles

VS shut down the EWR lounge and stopped flying there some time ago
Old May 27, 2023, 8:51 am

It is a huge shame that BA have closed their IAH lounges. I was a regular on the route a few years back, however just after New Year came back with United. Given United’s London based crews, the Polaris lounge and the Polaris on-board product, and the arrivals lounge in T2, at every step of the journey, they have the better product.
camdentown likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... is there a recommendation for which lounge pesos should use at IAH somewhere in there?

Regards
I have only been to IAH once ( pre-COVID ) and used the Centurion Lounge at that time, which was decent so can't comment on what would be a good alternative for BA pax.
However, from the airports own website, it could be observed that the airport operated HAS Executive Club is the only non-airline lounge at this stage at the airport so probably BA preferred them as that was the sole option. Also it's pretty weird that Air China, EVA Air and Lufthansa contracts this lounge as well for their own passengers as I would imagine the airport offers a cheaper rate to those carriers compared to what they need to pay for United Club and Polaris Lounges per passenger.

https://www.fly2houston.com/iah/relax

Air France and KLM have their separate own lounges but I doubt they would contract their space to BA.
The Admirals Club looks like an alternative but that is far away from the BA gates as it requires an air train ride.

Originally Posted by evanspa1
VS shut down the EWR lounge and stopped flying there some time ago
This is incorrect I am afraid, it is currently open and operates as a contract lounge by the Plaza Premium Group for other carriers and eligible AMEX/Capital One cardholders. However, it's correct that VS stopped flying to EWR. The lounge even offers cash access for USD 75.00 per person.

https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...-premium-group
Old Jun 1, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver
I totally agree about the amazing Polaris Lounge at IAH it really is exceptional and I found the service to be professional and personal. The lounge also has some great apron views. I have had access several times whilst travelling with Singapore Airlines between IAH and MAN and this is an added bonus to what is already exceptional service provided by Singapore Airlines on this route.

I stopped flying BA when Singapore Airlines started this service between MAN and IAH and I have always found it to be fantastic. This year for the first time in a long time I am returning to BA on the IAH route travelling in first however given the situation with the lounge I shall be spending as little time in the terminal at IAH as possible.

If you are travelling between MAN and IAH I certainly would recommend Singapore Airlines as the service is always consistent and of a very high standard and no issues with IT contact centres etc.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScottishTX
I totally agree about the amazing Polaris Lounge at IAH it really is exceptional and I found the service to be professional and personal. The lounge also has some great apron views. I have had access several times whilst travelling with Singapore Airlines between IAH and MAN and this is an added bonus to what is already exceptional service provided by Singapore Airlines on this route.

I stopped flying BA when Singapore Airlines started this service between MAN and IAH and I have always found it to be fantastic. This year for the first time in a long time I am returning to BA on the IAH route travelling in first however given the situation with the lounge I shall be spending as little time in the terminal at IAH as possible.

If you are travelling between MAN and IAH I certainly would recommend Singapore Airlines as the service is always consistent and of a very high standard and no issues with IT contact centres etc.
Good to know re: SQ IAH-MAN. What lounge access do BA F/J passengers have now at IAH?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bomberman92
Good to know re: SQ IAH-MAN. What lounge access do BA F/J passengers have now at IAH?
I don't fly out of IAH, but according to Oneworld.com it appears to be the "HAS Executive Club" in Terminal D
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=IAH

Regards
bomberman92 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:56 am

Hi all,

Saw this thread on the first page so thought I'd take the opportunity to ask...

I'm travelling in J on BA 196 on a Sat in late October - seems to be the time when it switches to a rather late 22:35 departure.

Am I right from the oneworld lounge link above that no lounge will be open before the flight?

Thanks
Peter
Old Aug 7, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: EK, United, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by pallan12
Hi all,

I'm travelling in J on BA 196 on a Sat in late October - seems to be the time when it switches to a rather late 22:35 departure.

Am I right from the oneworld lounge link above that no lounge will be open before the flight?

Thanks
Peter
The HAS Executive lounge timings on google state they are open till 12:45 AM everyday. I am flying end of this month on the early BA fight and will check lounge timings for you.
pallan12 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: EK, United, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by pallan12
Hi all,

Thanks
Peter
Did not use the shared lounge but it was open as I had to fly 196 as well due to cancellation of 194. Sorry I forgot to take a photo of the hours of operation.
pallan12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.