Wiki Posts
Search

3 flights cancelled weekend of 7/8 May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Globalist
Thanks Karfa,

I am a bit rusty not having flown for 2+ years. What is BWC and how do I work this from Singapore? If calling is required that would become expensive 😀

in the end I paid 521 euro for 2, plus avios worth 170 euro. (691 euro)
the new flight I can book is 525. (BA319/432)

Seems worth it to cancel and rebook?

Globalist
Cancel and get the train - far less hassle than CDG and LHR
Globalist and vantage03 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
book with confidence. You would have to call to do the change under that. Basically no change fees atm under bwc.
i will try call when the singapore number opens at 8.30 Monday.

Globalist
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Ive had two flights to Paris cancelled just now for 7th May and one to Copenhagen on 8th May. Weekend plans total ruined by BA as new suggested timings dont work and to rebook 2 weeks before is 100s of pounds more. Im really upset by this.
At least plenty of time to book elsewhere...Easyjet or Air France
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Cancel and get the train - far less hassle than CDG and LHR
It seems he needs 4 BA flights, no doubt to get/keep EC status. If all the flights are cancelled can one ring up and say "well, I tried, give me my status"?
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It seems he needs 4 BA flights, no doubt to get/keep EC status. If all the flights are cancelled can one ring up and say "well, I tried, give me my status"?
DYKWIA has a point, but yes while in Europe we are trying to rack up some ba flights.

In this case there are options available later in the day so cancelling might lead to a firm “no” if I ask for the flights to count.
We will take the 4pm flight and enjoy a morning in Paris and changing plans for a late arrival at Ams.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Globalist
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

And just to add if the new option you want to choose is cheaper you can call and do the change via BWC which should generate a refund for the difference.
I called this morning and it turned into a mess, my mistake...
1. The agent did categorically state that any rebooking even to a cheaper flight would not generate a refund of the difference.
2. I triggered the cancellation, and this is where I went wrong, there far I saw of EUR 525 was not the total fare but the fare per person and I should only have cancelled once I had the new booking in place.
3. I still had the agent on the call but she was unable to reinstate the booking as she already processed the cancellation. On the website in MMB it shows:"We are currently processing a cancellation and refund for this booking. Please contact us if you wish to discuss this booking"

It looks like this is now a costly mistake...

Globalist
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I called this morning and it turned into a mess, my mistake...
1. The agent did categorically state that any rebooking even to a cheaper flight would not generate a refund of the difference.
2. I triggered the cancellation, and this is where I went wrong, there far I saw of EUR 525 was not the total fare but the fare per person and I should only have cancelled once I had the new booking in place.
3. I still had the agent on the call but she was unable to reinstate the booking as she already processed the cancellation. On the website in MMB it shows:"We are currently processing a cancellation and refund for this booking. Please contact us if you wish to discuss this booking"

It looks like this is now a costly mistake...

Globalist
I wish I had said nothing now.

1. Yes for an involuntary rebook you do not get charged if the new flights are more, and get no refund if the new flights are less. But I suggested you go down the BWC route if the new flights are less which is effectively turning the booking in to a FTV and applying the value to the new flights. In that scenario you would pay any fare difference - so don't do it if the new flights are more, but you would get a refund if the new flights are less. I have actually had instances where switched on agents have pro-actively checked whether the new flights are less and done the change via BWC precisely because I then got a small refund, instead of doing it as an involuntary change.

2& 3. Ah, well, unfortunately I am not sure I can offer you any solution to that problem. As it turns out it sounds like going down the BWC wouldn't have worked anyway since the new flights were actually more costly.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I wish I had said nothing now.

1. Yes for an involuntary rebook you do not get charged if the new flights are more, and get no refund if the new flights are less. But I suggested you go down the BWC route if the new flights are less which is effectively turning the booking in to a FTV and applying the value to the new flights. In that scenario you would pay any fare difference - so don't do it if the new flights are more, but you would get a refund if the new flights are less. I have actually had instances where switched on agents have pro-actively checked whether the new flights are less and done the change via BWC precisely because I then got a small refund, instead of doing it as an involuntary change.

2& 3. Ah, well, unfortunately I am not sure I can offer you any solution to that problem. As it turns out it sounds like going down the BWC wouldn't have worked anyway since the new flights were actually more costly.
My rookie mistake for cancelling before I had the other flight secured.

The callcenter categorically stated that if the fare was lower the difference would not be refunded.
Your support is always appreciated.

I will occasionally check fir reward availability to become available.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Apr 25, 2022 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:42 am

The callcenter categorically stated that if the fare was lower the difference would not be refunded.
Well let me put it this way to try and illustrate the point better, if you had requested a FTV and then called to use that for a new booking you would get a refund.

There is no refund if doing an involuntary change, there is if you go via BWC.
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Your support is always appreciated.
I may have said something fairly similar in post 12. The point is that the FTV and eVouchers are a way of preserving the value of your tickets in an uncertain situation, that's the point of Buy with Confidence. Whereas just moving flights and doing a fare difference will never result in a refund. Hopefully you find another cost effective solution.
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Good morning from Singapore!

Can someone check my (in)sanity here? @corporate-wage-slave @KARFA

Flight booked from CDG-LHR-AMS for 8 May EUR 1049 for 2 pax. One ticket, nice and protected. 2 hour transit at LHR.

Now the crazy idea...
We have 3 IB flight sectors (MAD-BIO, BIO-MAD, MAD-ORY) so if they all qualify we only need 1 BA flight to get to 4.

I can book CDG-LHR for Euro 376 and trigger a gold priority reward for LHR-AMS? (how many avios is that, 20k per passenger?)
We would then take the 2pm flight our of CDG, giving us 3 hours at LHR to cover delays, immigration, baggage collection, first wing check in.

Theoretical savings 673 euro (minus some tax etc).

Of course this comes with more risk, separate bookings etc...

Am I nuts?

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Apr 27, 2022 at 7:45 am
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:35 am

Good morning from Singapore!

Can someone check my (in)sanity here? @corporate-wage-slave @KARFA

Flight booked from CDG-LHR-AMS for 8 May EUR 1049 for 2 pax. One ticket, nice and protected. 2 hour transit at LHR.

Now the crazy idea...
We have 3 IB flight sectors (MAD-BIO, BIO-MAD, MAD-ORY) so if they all qualify we only need 1 BA flight to get to 4.

I can book CDG-LHR for Euro 376 and trigger a gold priority reward for LHR-AMS? (how many avios is that, 20k per passenger?)
We would then take the 2pm flight our of CDG, giving us 3 hours at LHR to cover delays, immigration, baggage collection, first wing check in.

Theoretical savings 673 euro (minus some tax etc).

Of course this comes with more risk, separate bookings etc...

Am I nuts?

Globalist
Well I am not sure I quite follow what you are trying to do, but I would say if I had to get from Paris to Amsterdam, and BA wanted EUR1049, I would be looking at alternatives.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Well I am not sure I quite follow what you are trying to do, but I would say if I had to get from Paris to Amsterdam, and BA wanted EUR1049, I would be looking at alternatives.
If you're willing to pay that much, why not consider e.g. Blacklane who are quoting EUR1067 for an E-Class Merc to drive you from central Paris to central Amsterdam...
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:30 am

I believe the poster needs one BA segment to protect his EC status (4 minimum).
Globalist likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks all, i stuck with the expensive booking in the end. (the quoted price was for 2 pax).

We have 4 bags, 2 pax and 2 carry on bags.
Trains were fully booked, a car would have been a challenge with the bags.

The gold reward on LHR AMS was no longer available anyway.all ams flights after 10am on the 8th of May are no longer available to book. It would have saved a lot of money but looking at the issues with BA it is preferred to have the flights in one booking.

Globalist
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.