Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 1307 ABZ -LHR 5th May cancelled. What are my options?

Old Apr 23, 22, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M

We had an email yesterday that our BA1307 on the 5th May has been cancelled. This was the first leg of our ABZ-LHR-JNB journey booked using a 2-4-1 companion voucher in J. Before we "accept" the rebooked flight we would appreciate the wisdom and advice of the knowledgeable folk on FT so that we don't go down the wrong route. The rebooked flight being offered by BA has thrown up a few issues for us which I will outline.

Original booking. BA1307. Dep ABZ 11:40. Arr LHR 13:20. New booking. BA 1301. Dep 06:45 ABZ. Arr LHR 08:30. As this is 5 hours earlier we would have to stay at a hotel near Aberdeen airport on May 4th. We live approx 60 miles away and had booked to go up on the train on the 5th in plenty of time for our flight.
The next issue is that our flight BA55 from LHR to JNB departs at 19:05. Almost 11 hours waiting time at Heathrow, not something I would choose to do, never mind after being up very early to catch the first flight out of Aberdeen. I suffer from severe migraines and sleep deprivation is my main trigger so I try and do everything I can to avoid situations like this. I know this has nothing to do with BA but just wanted to give a wee bit of background.

If we accept the rebooking are we able to claim "compensation" as it is 5 hours earlier? I'm not sure if I was understanding the rules correctly in the compensation thread. Could we ask to fly from Edinburgh instead, there is a flight at 11:25, not sure if there is availability though? Would we have to phone up if we decided to fly from Edinburgh? Would we still be entitled to compensation ( due to the much earlier rebooking ) if we flew from Edinburgh? We would always prefer to be early for departure but almost 11 hours is even too early for us two risk averse old codgers. lol.

Thanks for any help
Old Apr 23, 22, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Looks like there's a 1405 ABZ-LHR flight with plenty of availability .. get them to book you on that surely the obvious answer - still more than loads of time for your connection .. not sure why they put you on the 0645 flight, that seems crazy I definitely wouldn't accept that .. just call them up they should swap you onto the 1405 BA1323 flight if you ask I'd say
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:22 am

If you go to the desktop and manage the booking that way you will see all alternatives that day or on adjoining days (tabs at the top of the screen show you other days).

Regarding the compensation question, if you accept their new flight/ you pick another one this is you accepting a new itinerary, so no compensation. We had exactly this experience a couple of years ago when they moved the flight by over 12 hours!
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shackyshackleton View Post
Regarding the compensation question, if you accept their new flight/ you pick another one this is you accepting a new itinerary, so no compensation. We had exactly this experience a couple of years ago when they moved the flight by over 12 hours!
I am not sure if it is just how you have worded this, but to be clear accepting an alternative flight does not get BA out of paying compensation for the cancelled flight where it has been notified within 2 weeks of the travel date. Depending on the timing of the new flight it's possible the compensation may be reduced or not even due, but the new flight would have to be pretty close to the timing of the old for that to apply - different limits apply depending on when you were notified and details are in the EC261 guide thread.

Now if the flight number remains the same but is merely retimed - well that's a different kettle of fish unfortunately.
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi Redrose59,
An alternative idea, is fly the night before and stay in a Heathrow hotel. We live outside Aberdeen and went to MIA in March. For the first time ever we flew the night before and stayed in the Sofitel in terminal 5. We really enjoyed it, great room and the breakfast was brilliant. We didn't have an evening meal as we arrived after 10pm. We both said that when doing long haul out of LHR we will always stay at the Sofitel. The normal check out time in noon, not sure if they do late check outs. Cheers, Ian .
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK View Post
Looks like there's a 1405 ABZ-LHR flight with plenty of availability .. get them to book you on that surely the obvious answer - still more than loads of time for your connection .. not sure why they put you on the 0645 flight, that seems crazy I definitely wouldn't accept that .. just call them up they should swap you onto the 1405 BA1323 flight if you ask I'd say
Yes, when the OP goes in to the booking they are likely to see the disruption page, and hopefully there should be a button to search for alternative flights at the bottom. Hopefully clicking on that should allow the OP to pick the 1405 instead and confirm that, but if not they would have to call to do it.

Also yes changing to EDI/GLA/INV/NCL should all be fine if any of those are better for the OP, but you would have to call to do that.
Old Apr 23, 22, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Thanks everyone, we have managed to rebook onto the 14:05. I assume as this is only 2 hours 25 minutes difference that compensation would not be applicable? But if it is when would we make a claim?

I'll now be able to get a good nights sleep in my own bed the night before. Happy redrose!

Last edited by redrose59; Apr 23, 22 at 4:42 am Reason: to add information
Old Apr 23, 22, 4:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by redrose59 View Post
Thanks everyone, we have managed to rebook onto the 14:05. I assume as this is only 2 hours 25 minutes difference that compensation would not be applicable? But if it is when would we make a claim?

I'll now be able to get a good nights sleep in my own bed the night before. Happy redrose!
No compensation as you'll still be arriving at the same time into JNB.
redrose59 and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by redrose59 View Post

I don't think it would be applicable here as it's not that big a change and perhaps more importantly it doesn't affect your arrival at your ultimate destination and in fact gives you a shorter better journey .. Enjoy!
redrose59 likes this.

Search this Thread