Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1h30 min connection in LAX. One itinerary. Should I travel with hand-baggage only?

1h30 min connection in LAX. One itinerary. Should I travel with hand-baggage only?

Old Jun 19, 22, 6:59 am
  #31  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 17,095
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind. Our original plan was to buy domestic flights to visit OGG and KOA, this cancellation would allow us to save the cash for one of those domestic flights if they get us to one of them directly… We need to ponder that vs lie flat bed to HNL! :-)

EDIT: Oh there’s a DFW-OGG morning flight with a lie flat bed too. RichieMc you’ve just made my day!!!
Like corporate-wage-slave (less clever but far prettier ) I would definitely give myself a stop in LAX - as BUD-LHR-LAX is already a long schlep. I'd go on - but around noon - I'd not get up for a 8.00am flight. Actually if they let you do it, I'd go via DFW. One thing about Maui - hotel rates are nail-bitingly dear and that is without all these Resort Fees that they are now putting on. Remember that you are changing climate bit time as well. Be gentle on yourself. Lastlym Southwest are now flying inter-island and that has had a huge impact on the fares charged by the likes of Hawaiian.
Daventry likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:03 am
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Like corporate-wage-slave (less clever but far prettier ) I would definitely give myself a stop in LAX - as BUD-LHR-LAX is already a long schlep. I'd go on - but around noon - I'd not get up for a 8.00am flight. Actually if they let you do it, I'd go via DFW. One thing about Maui - hotel rates are nail-bitingly dear and that is without all these Resort Fees that they are now putting on. Remember that you are changing climate bit time as well. Be gentle on yourself. Lastlym Southwest are now flying inter-island and that has had a huge impact on the fares charged by the likes of Hawaiian.
Thanks for the tip, I think we’re going to burn our stash of Bonvoy points in Hawaii. We were saving them for a future trip to Maldives but since we don’t know if that’s ever going to happen and this trip is now on the table, we’ll use them there.
Daventry is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:04 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, FLL
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Posts: 5,371
You should always travel with hand baggage only, when possible.
PUCCI GALORE and Daventry like this.
seanp7 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:05 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
You should always travel with hand baggage only, when possible.
We want to, but travelling through different climates makes it more challenging. Can’t see myself in shorts and flip flops at Budapest in February :-)
Daventry is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:26 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 1,042
I have done HBO to Hawaii from LHR in December, January and February. I am wearing more than necessary for Hawaii but no great problem for the transfer. HBO is much more relaxing.
Daventry likes this.
Rubecula is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:31 am
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 85
BTW if you had to choose between BA CW (not Club Suites) and AA Business, what would you choose? I think AA departs from LHR T3 so wouldn’t have to change terminals (BUD arrives at T3) and OneWorld lounges are much better. Also AA Business has guaranteed direct access to aisle, doesn’t it?
Daventry is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:54 am
  #37  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 17,095
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
We want to, but travelling through different climates makes it more challenging. Can’t see myself in shorts and flip flops at Budapest in February :-)
Sweetheart - he is right and I have done it (Stockholm to AKL) - Summer gear packs small - you do not need loads of underwear as there are laundry rooms in loads of hotels. For Budapest wear a light sweater or jumper which I wear on aircraft as I feel the cold, Remember what takes up space are shoes - I take one good pair which I wear, and one pair of light comfortable shoes and sandals.

Let me tell you something else - we were cancelled on a flight whilst we were still sitting on the aircraft having drinks before take-off (indeed we all got pinged by AA before the crew). We got off with all our luggage - no one else got their bags back, I have no idea whether they made it on to the second flight. If you have checked bags, you are compromised on what happens in case of cancellation or severe delay and you want to get another flight.I'll tell you a secret - we didn't actually get to use all our clothes that we did pack and I find that for my husband electric razors and all the dashed cables that we have to haul round the world for our devices take up an inordinate amount of room.
seanp7 and Daventry like this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:55 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
BTW if you had to choose between BA CW (not Club Suites) and AA Business, what would you choose? I think AA departs from LHR T3 so wouldn’t have to change terminals (BUD arrives at T3) and OneWorld lounges are much better. Also AA Business has guaranteed direct access to aisle, doesn’t it?
I’d prioritise whatever schedule suits better. After that, BA Club Suites are essentially the same as AA Super Diamond seat minus the door. AA seats will also be a bit older and worn. On hard product alone, I’d favour AA business over old BA Club. And finally there’s the soft product: there’s lots of variability, but AA is more likely to be on the surly side.
Daventry likes this.
RichieMc is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:01 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 2,044
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
BTW if you had to choose between BA CW (not Club Suites) and AA Business, what would you choose? I think AA departs from LHR T3 so wouldn’t have to change terminals (BUD arrives at T3) and OneWorld lounges are much better. Also AA Business has guaranteed direct access to aisle, doesn’t it?
Although I am in the minority on this forum, I love AA biz on the 773 which you get LHR to LAX and DFW. Fantastic seat, great entertainment, the mini-cabin behind first (just two rows) is great and the large restroom on the righthand side of the plane is a godsend for changing clothes. I would personally do the AA773 in a heartbeat over any BA configuration in biz but others have had issues with service or food (something I've never had a problem with on any AA transatlantic flight).
Currently AA to JFK, DFW, LAX and MIA are from T5 according to the Heathrow website. But that could change in the future. When we arrived into T5 last week from LAX, it was quite a sight to see five AA 773s lined up in a row at T5B.
Lefly, dougzz and Daventry like this.
eefor jfp is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:07 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 224
Currently AA DFW and LAX flights are leaving from T5. But over the winter, DFW is slated to move back to T3 while LAX is to stay at T5. Who the hell knows if that will actually happen…?
RichieMc is offline  
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:10 am
  #41  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 17,095
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
Currently AA DFW and LAX flights are leaving from T5. But over the winter, DFW is slated to move back to T3 while LAX is to stay at T5. Who the hell knows if that will actually happen…?
Indeed who is to say whether BUD will go back to T5 as had Sofia for the present.
RichieMc likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:10 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 85
They're letting me fly to OGG instead of HNL but refusing to reroute via DFW instead of SEA. Are these the rules or the agent doesn't know what she's doing?
Daventry is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 5:28 am
  #43  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 54,420
Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
They're letting me fly to OGG instead of HNL but refusing to reroute via DFW instead of SEA. Are these the rules or the agent doesn't know what she's doing?
If the agent knew about change of gateways I think you can assume they knew the dozens of other restrictions that may be in place. There is some wriggle room, but I can see that the agent was probably abe to offer a new routing to HNL or an old routing to a new gateway. Worry not, it's a huge time before departure, accept the best offer and wait a couple of weeks for the next change.
mikeyfly likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 5:47 am
  #44  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If the agent knew about change of gateways I think you can assume they knew the dozens of other restrictions that may be in place. There is some wriggle room, but I can see that the agent was probably abe to offer a new routing to HNL or an old routing to a new gateway. Worry not, it's a huge time before departure, accept the best offer and wait a couple of weeks for the next change.
They're giving me terrible choices: SEA to HNL with yet another stopover, start from BUD a day later...

I'll hold off for now. I guess I can wait and get a full refund next year if no appealing option comes up.
Daventry is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 6:22 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wolverhampton
Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Posts: 1,383
As others have said, 3.5 hour connections at LAX might not even be enough. Coming through TBIT has had us running for the plane pre covid. Our baggage had been at the carousel so long, it had been taken off by handlers and set aside. We ran for the plane in the end, took us 2.5 hours to get through 1pm immigration when all the other international planes land, and I'm assuming that's about the time you'd be coming in if connecting onwards. So hand luggage is probably not going to be your problem.

AA or BA CS, we flew both in April, I think the AA one was the only flight in Longhaul business where we got no pre departure drink, they just didn't mention it, didn't apologise, and then made up some excuse when I asked about it. We did see First class get theirs served though. Apart from that no real difference I'd say. AA has a more perchance of looking as if they'll cut you off you drink some more, but I've never hit that sort of quantity and amount (usually by then I'll have fallen asleep and not need any more). Whereas never got that feeling from BA cabin crew.
Smid is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread