Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No American (AA) Saver availability with Avios

No American (AA) Saver availability with Avios

Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Angry No American (AA) Saver availability with Avios

I'm finding absolutely ZERO seats on the BA site, both yesterday and today, for a variety of routes/dates with American Airlines domestic US flights. I once read that there was a trick or so with getting the space to load. The space I'm trying to book is definitely AA Saver space, so that's not the issue.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Some clue as to when & where you're looking to travel would be helpful.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:34 pm

Same issue here. I see a number of AS and AA flights that have standard space and are available through the other's program, but are not loading on the BA site. I also see the space available on Expertflyer.

27NOV MIA-MGA
27DEC SEA-BWI
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm going to hazard a guess that something is broken. I was looking for flights LAS - ORD for July earlier in the week. There was a decent amount of availability on BA. Most days had a redeye flight, but every Tuesday had an afternoon flight. The Tuesday flight was 8.5k AA miles - but was a Web Special. The Web Special fares were the only ones that showed up on BA. Ultimately I ended up booking with AA as I had a few miles with them. However, when I look now I see the same 8.5 k mileage awards on AA but nothing is showing up on BA.

Of course it could be that there's no availability across the board but I think it's unlikely
makin'miles likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Same issue here. I see a number of AS and AA flights that have standard space and are available through the other's program, but are not loading on the BA site. I also see the space available on Expertflyer.

27NOV MIA-MGA
27DEC SEA-BWI
The only AA coach awards I see on aa.com on 27NOV MIA-MGA are web special awards, which are not supposed to be available for booking with avios; as.com also does not show any availability for this flight.
The AS SEA-BWI on 27DEC does not have the lowest level award space in coach available for booking with Avios; it is also not available for booking on aa.com.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:13 pm

Sorry I should have clarified I was looking at business awards - where I see AS showing the AA space and vice-versa. What's coach? :P
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Seeing same issues. Had a number of awards I saw on EF yesterday and verified on BA last night. Verified via EF again and transferred some AMEX MR's over to BA. Now, NOTHING is showing on BA for any date as I sat down to book them, LOL.

EF showing tons of availability, as is AA (via low level awards). Something is broken.

For reference, looking at Y and J awards for CLT-AUA/PUJ/GCM.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if related but BA avios redemption is not picking up AY flights I can see and book via AS miles.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:59 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I can't find any Avios award availability for PHX-LAX/BUR on AA for my next three trips between now and December.

This is definitely not normal as there is always availability on these routes.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
AA and AS have both almost zeroed out any saver availability for the foreseeable future. Prices of tickets have gone through the roof. Typical tickets for which I could find awards easily and where ticket prices used to be around $100 are now available only for $300 up to $700 or 30k miles or more in economy on AS and similarly on AA (How about 70k AA miles for a flight of1600 miles in economy?) . It is reducing my flexibility of last minute international award travel to nearly impossible. I have a few already issued tickets, but making new ones is going to be a pain for a long while.
So it is not surprising that almost all availability for BA Avios is gone.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
It's been ongoing issue for months now if you are trying to book aasaver with avios on American. Alaska still works though and it's handy for us as they fly routes we want.

Various threads on FT have concluded either they are being restricted or it's a glitch.

I called both ba and aa and they didn't know.

Now I just book via aa using my aa miles. I gave up trying.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Everyone!
Still having this problem myself too. Seeing many flights available on many days on AA.com (AA metal) for WAS-SYD for 90K (not a saver or web special). BA shows no availability on ANY days from Dec 2022 - Feb 2023. Even though they show a few flights in Mar 2023, they still don't include any from AA. On BA, I did try looking for the whole journey WAS-SYD as well as individual legs that were available on AA (DCA-LAX, LAX-SYD) and still no availability.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I have had this issue with connecting flights. Looking at a DCA-JAX-AUS (unconventional but only way with availability) routing next year.
  • On AA.com, DCA-JAX-AUS comes back with "U" availability for 2 seats
  • If I search ExpertFlyer (which I know is unreliable for AA connections in general), it again shows 2 seats in U
  • However, if I search ExpertFlyer one leg at a time, it shows 0 seats DCA-JAX, and 7 JAX-AUS
  • The BA site matches what ExpertFlyer returns on a segment-by-segment basis (nothing DCA-JAX, nothing DCA-JAX-AUS, but will show availability JAX-AUS only)
AA availability is very, very, very sparse nowadays.. the best option is to use AA miles (if you have any), book one of the undesirable connecting flights it will typically offer on miles, then hope for a schedule change to get what you really want.
PGHflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Still having this problem myself too. Seeing many flights available on many days on AA.com (AA metal) for WAS-SYD for 90K (not a saver or web special). BA shows no availability on ANY days from Dec 2022 - Feb 2023. Even though they show a few flights in Mar 2023, they still don't include any from AA. On BA, I did try looking for the whole journey WAS-SYD as well as individual legs that were available on AA (DCA-LAX, LAX-SYD) and still no availability.
I think you need MileSAAver space, no? Neither Web Special or AAnytime are available for Avios AIUI.

[90k looks like it would be AAnytime 2 for Lower 48 -> South Pacific?]
PGHflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
You're an optimist!
Finding award space US-Australia at saver rate during that season is mission impossible. If your name is Tom Cruise you might have a chance to pull it off.
Even in normal times, space (at least in premium) is scarce.
PGHflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.