Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impossible to close BAEC account?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Red face Impossible to close BAEC account?

*update*
For anyone wishing to close his/hers BAEC account, this is what's required according to BA: "We will need you to send us a signed letter, confirming you want to close your account. This can be sent to us at [email protected]"

All I wish for is to have my BAEC account closed.

And so I filled out a webform on the BA website and sent (3 times) an e-mail request to [email protected], including a passport copy, address details etc. I did receive 4 separate replies like "I have passed on your request to your service centre for the necessary closure arrangement". But 3 weeks later, nothing happened.

How to actually and swiftly close a BAEC account?

Thanks for any suggestions! For what it is worth, there is Silver status attached to it.

Last edited by Travel-Quinten; Apr 21, 2022 at 10:49 am
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:43 am

I would have thought with everything going on, closing accounts is at the bottom of the "to do" pile.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The quickest way would be to push a GDPR request to the data protection officer.

If it's not too nosey may I ask why you're cancelling an account when Silver is still active? It could be useful to let it expire first just in case you travel with a OW airline. Even if you dislike BA, lounge access, seat selection and priority boarding might come in handy.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You have to contact your BAEC service centre to close it.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:42 am
formerly JackDann

I’ll be the first to ask.. why? If you don’t mind me asking.

I’ll regularly close accounts if i’m not using them or they are sending me unwanted correspondence, but couldn’t think of any other reason.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackDann
I’ll be the first to ask.. why?
Originally Posted by alex67500
may I ask why you're cancelling an account when Silver is still active?
By closing my account, I will get rid of my personal membership year renewal date. As my current membership year ends just between some premium long haul flights, I'd rather close the current account, open a new one and credit all flights into the same membership year. In that way, I would actually 'earn' Emerald. If I would not close my account, I would just stay Sapphire.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
By closing my account, I will get rid of my personal membership year renewal date. As my current membership year ends just between some premium long haul flights, I'd rather close the current account, open a new one and credit all flights into the same membership year. In that way, I would actually 'earn' Emerald. If I would not close my account, I would just stay Sapphire.
Will BAEC allow you to run two accounts concurrently? Will BAEC allow you to merge accounts once you have achieved your objective?

I don't know the answer but if you could, it might make your life a little easier.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:25 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Will BAEC allow you to run two accounts concurrently? Will BAEC allow you to merge accounts once you have achieved your objective?

I don't know the answer but if you could, it might make your life a little easier.
Nope not allowed -

3.5. Applicants accepted as Members will be given a Membership Number and may be provided with a Card. A Member may not have multiple Memberships. Each Member must maintain only one account. If a Member violates this rule, all Memberships (other than the first Membership approved by British Airways) will be cancelled, as will any Avios points contained in the cancelled accounts.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:28 pm
formerly JackDann

Nope not allowed -

3.5. Applicants accepted as Members will be given a Membership Number and may be provided with a Card. A Member may not have multiple Memberships. Each Member must maintain only one account. If a Member violates this rule, all Memberships (other than the first Membership approved by British Airways) will be cancelled, as will any Avios points contained in the cancelled accounts.
Re: Termination

Members may terminate their Membership by writing to their Local Service Centre and stating that they no longer wish to be a Member and, if they have been issued a physical Card, enclosing their physical Card cut in half. Any such termination will result in a loss of all Avios points and does not relieve the Member of any continuing obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:29 pm

Nope not allowed -

but this is not what OP will be doing?
Close one and then change your mind and open a new one.. doesn’t happen often but no rules against that I think?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:36 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by jeroen100
but this is not what OP will be doing?
Close one and then change your mind and open a new one.. doesn’t happen often but no rules against that I think?
And that’s why my response wasn’t to the OP
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Nope not allowed -

I'm sure there's a good reason for it even if I can't imagine what it might be.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Nope not allowed -

Exactly - so I have to close my account before opening a new one.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:57 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I'm sure there's a good reason for it even if I can't imagine what it might be.
Yeah I started to think of ways of manipulating the system by having two accounts, i’m sure there is a way maybe but it my brain was fried by thinking of it, so will leave it there 😀
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:20 am
Original Poster

My conclusion is that there's no (easy) way to close an BAEC account. I wrote to the Data Privacy Offer and sent a passport copy plus a signed letter to BAEC. But no repsonse at all.

Maybe the fastest way it to open a second, identical account. It's a breach of their T&C and that will - hopefully - lead to an account closure... It there any further consequence to that strategy?

Last edited by Travel-Quinten; Apr 26, 2022 at 3:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.