Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I avoid LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I think there are two types of flyers; A/ those that just want to get settled and de-risk everything, who read the "turn up 3hrs before longhaul/2hrs before shorthaul" and treat those as minimums and B/ those that prefer to minimise airport time and roll through security like Indiana Jones 35 minutes before departure.

As a 'type A' I'd fly out of LHR (or LGW) by preference as lurking around city for any length of time is rather dull; type B's would likely prefer LCY in general. Assuming timings work.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:43 pm
formerly JackDann

I’m a big fan of the LGW - BHD route that Easyjet started.

Would love to see EI return on the route or BA to start it up. I managed a few door to door’s from Belfast to SW London in well under 2 hours back when EI operated it.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Originally Posted by Noppasit
For inbound flight, I must connect to Eurostar. I think LCY is closer but the flight time is horrible (early morning then midday), LHR is quite better with timing and access to HEX but with the risk of bag delay which is definitely ruined the trip as I have to go somewhere else. So slightly yes to the time constraint.
For a Eurostar connection, LGW wins for me any day because there are frequent, direct Thameslink trains to St Pancras. LCY and LHR are both a faff for getting to St Pancras, especially LCY at the moment with the Northern Line branch via Bank closed until mid-May.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by speedbird66
For a Eurostar connection, LGW wins for me any day because there are frequent, direct Thameslink trains to St Pancras. LCY and LHR are both a faff for getting to St Pancras
Don’t forget the frequent, direct Piccadilly Line tube trains to St Pancras from LHR. Typical journey times are 56 minutes from LGW on Thameslink, and 58 mins from LHR T5 on the tube. Timewise, there’s really nothing in it. LHR wins on frequency and price.

Rail would normally win over tube for comfort, but not those ironing-board seats on Thameslink ….
abraxias likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Rail would normally win over tube for comfort, but not those ironing-board seats on Thameslink ….
Sorry, late to the party on replying! I think Thameslink still swings it for me, and I say that as a Thameslink commuter who suffers those seats for a good few hours each week. Although as a declaration of interests, my day job is for the mainline railway... Yes the seats are pretty firm and upright, but at least there's plenty of space for people and luggage. I always feel quite claustrophobic on the deep-level tube lines, and there's few things I hate more than traipsing around the Underground with hold luggage getting in everyone's way. In know in reality the journey times are similar, but there's also something psychological about the constant stop/start on the Piccadilly line that on the one occasion I used it to/from Heathrow made me worried I was going to die of old age before I got there. Gatwick/St Pancras transfers from plane to train to Eurostar are also more straightforward by Thameslink. It's quite a walk from the Piccadilly line platforms at KGX/STP to the Eurostar check in.

Top tip for anyone who does take the Thameslink - the first-class area at the very rear of the train is always available for use by standard class ticket holders, so you can luxuriate in (relative) comfort. Regular travellers know this, but GTR don't go out of their way to advertise it so you'll often find space in there.
drwook likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BRK-B
Many people have gone off topic. There's currently no flight from LGW the date I'm flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.