Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Offers £1000 Bonus to To Attract Staff From Rivals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:28 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Just spotted this on the BBC, £1000 payment in 2 x £500 lumps to come across to BA provided they can start before July. Interesting they are asking for current airside clearance for either LHR or STN. LHR yes, but STN? Unless STN and LHR are interchangeable for clearance?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61104230
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Airside passes certainly used to be interchangeable (or at least could be activated for another/different airport) in the BAA days.

Suspect that holding a pass for one UK airport is at the very least a 'fast track' to obtaining one for another airport.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
Airside passes certainly used to be interchangeable (or at least could be activated for another/different airport) in the BAA days.

Suspect that holding a pass for one UK airport is at the very least a 'fast track' to obtaining one for another airport.
They've been vetted. I imagine that they are trying to get people over from Ryanair. They will not be able to refer to their manuals when being tested - unless they've altered that as well.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:59 am

The MAG/HAL vetting for airside passes (I understand this is mostly for ground-based work) is similar and therefore one can rather easily switch from HAL to MAG and return. Getting an airside pass involves a security check from Disclosure Scotland, which is pretty constantly backed up, and then a trip to HAL's pass issue team, which even back in the day was an adventure. Last time I had to re-do my pass it took me 4 attempts at having the interview/meeting/photo.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
The MAG/HAL vetting for airside passes (I understand this is mostly for ground-based work) is similar and therefore one can rather easily switch from HAL to MAG and return. Getting an airside pass involves a security check from Disclosure Scotland, which is pretty constantly backed up, and then a trip to HAL's pass issue team, which even back in the day was an adventure. Last time I had to re-do my pass it took me 4 attempts at having the interview/meeting/photo.
I will be the one to ask the dumb question - as MAG and HAL are in England and assuming most people who are employed there live in England too, why isn't it a DBS check rather than Disclosure Scotland?

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 14, 2022 at 5:12 am
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I will be the one to ask the dumb question - as MAG and HAL are in England and assuming most people who are employed there live in England too, why isn't it a DBS check rather than Disclosure Scotland?
Not sure if it's related but a lot of Heathrow's back office functions are carried out at the Heathrow Business Support centre which is in Paisley (it's visible on the left hand side of the M8 if you're driving from Glasgow towards the airport). It was a BAA facility back in the days that they owned Glasgow Airport but I guess they decided to keep it when the AGS sell-off happened.
13901 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think the current backlog for security clearance is about 4 months for a HAL pass, so I can certainly understand why they’d want candidates who already have one.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
When I worked for Lloyds Banking Group they used Disclosure Scotland and I think the reasoning was it was cheaper than DBS. Current price for an enhanced DS check is £25 vs £43.60 or more depending who does the DBS.

That said I seem to recall my DS check taking a couple of weeks and it was a right faff to get my identity verified, had to take my documents all over London.

DBS is much easier now as it can mostly be done online and once they bring in the new digital identity checks in a few months it’ll be even easier and the cost of a DBS is coming down as a result.

Having said all that, if you provide the right combination of documents, you can get an enhanced DBS done in less than 6 hours, so I honestly don’t understand why processing times are being quoted in the region of weeks to get these passes issued.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:39 am

Sigma421 is spot on, a lot of back-office activities for HAL are done north of the border. Plus, why making processes simple when you can make them long, convoluted and complex?

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Having said all that, if you provide the right combination of documents, you can get an enhanced DBS done in less than 6 hours, so I honestly don’t understand why processing times are being quoted in the region of weeks to get these passes issued.
DBS, at least for 'straightforward' cases where you haven't been abroad for too long or have to explain what exactly you did in that training camp in Baluchistan. The real black hole, in my experience, is the pass unit over in LHR.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

DBS, at least for 'straightforward' cases where you haven't been abroad for too long or have to explain what exactly you did in that training camp in Baluchistan. The real black hole, in my experience, is the pass unit over in LHR.
Granted. If you’ve spent 5 years in Ukraine recently, getting the embassy to do a records check is going to be impossible. Getting any embassy to do a records check for long periods overseas is very hit and miss anyway
13901 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:04 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I think the current backlog for security clearance is about 4 months for a HAL pass, so I can certainly understand why they’d want candidates who already have one.
I do have some slight sympathy for BA because only until about 8 weeks ago we were still in a constant stop-start with regards to air travel in and out of the UK. To say the government's approach was ad-hoc and very knee jerk would be an understatement.

No wonder they delayed recruitment until only a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I do have some slight sympathy for BA because only until about 8 weeks ago we were still in a constant stop-start with regards to air travel in and out of the UK. To say the government's approach was ad-hoc and very knee jerk would be an understatement.

No wonder they delayed recruitment until only a few weeks ago.
This is also very true. No-one in their right minds is going to commit large amounts of cash to recruitment and paying staff if they pull the rug from under your feet at 24hrs notice
BOH likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:33 am

Granted. If you’ve spent 5 years in Ukraine recently, getting the embassy to do a records check is going to be impossible. Getting any embassy to do a records check for long periods overseas is very hit and miss anyway
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I just spoke with my former GF who works for EasyJet and the reply re/ the offer was: 'no way'
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:20 am

It's worth noting that the offer is for ground operations roles only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.