Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible to change FF to other program after book and upgrade ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k

I'm looking at booking a BA flight - book in PE and upgrade to CW.
This would be attractive if I could change to earning EQMs (on the paid PE fare) on my AS account.
Seems like a long shot, but wondering if that's possible ?
(searched here and the web with no luck)

edited to add that upgrade would be using Avios, hence the need to book from within my BA account

Last edited by dgwright99; Apr 14, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It is possible to change, but may not be wise. You do not mention how you plan to upgrade. For most upgrade methods (except fare difference and reticket) with partners you will earn the original ticket rather than the upgraded cabin. And in many cases due to the change in ticketed bucket and some of the background IT you may earn nothing as it may look like a redemption to the partner. In which case you will need to do a manual credit along with some explaining.

also the way you change the FF number and when you will need to be careful, as you may end up with both numbers in the booking, and having each scheme flag a “double dip attempt”

so yes possible, but be prepared for some manual work later, or for it to go to the wrong place.

KF
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you actually need the BA number in the booking to perform the upgrade or could you not just put the AS number in up front?

If you need to do it, then it isn't too hard to go online and remove the BA number and replace it with the AS one
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the replies
I believe I’d need to have to book from within my BA account in order to upgrade using Avios (should have stated this UG method up front - corrected now).

anyhow - seems like this is good news; I’ll give it a shot, and be ready to make calls after - worth it fir 5k+ EQM, and I’m AS MVP100k so MP should be willing to go the extra mile to help…
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Thx for the replies
I believe I’d need to have to book from within my BA account in order to upgrade using Avios (should have stated this UG method up front - corrected now).

anyhow - seems like this is good news; I’ll give it a shot, and be ready to make calls after - worth it fir 5k+ EQM, and I’m AS MVP100k so MP should be willing to go the extra mile to help…
I dont think that you BA number needs to be in the booking to be able to uopgrade using Avios
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Oh really - how would that work ? I would have thought it would need the BAEC # in order to be able to pull the Avios from that account.
The FAQ says you can only upgrade your own reservations, not somebody elses
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:54 pm
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question.

I'm BA nobody (with some small avios left) but AS MVP gold. Can I
1) buy my BA ticket with BA using part pay of my avios
2) change to my AS number upon check in to get additional checked bag and earn AS miles

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by kkg
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question.

I'm BA nobody (with some small avios left) but AS MVP gold. Can I
1) buy my BA ticket with BA using part pay of my avios
2) change to my AS number upon check in to get additional checked bag and earn AS miles

Thanks.
Log in to BAEC, so that you can access your avios. Buy the ticket, with part-pay avios, for another person who has the same name as you and who has no FF account. When you receive the e-ticket, go in to MMB and add your AS FF number. You should then get all your AS privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.