Retaining Gold w/o flying on BA metal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:24 am
zaf
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Retaining Gold w/o flying on BA metal

Hi guys,

I have been BAEC Gold for a few years now. I used to use London as a hub for most of my international flights. Since COVID hit BA has stopped flying out of my base airport, which left me needing to use other airlines. I have maintained my BAEC tier points needed for Gold through QR, but I won't be able to retain the sectors flights needed.
Does anyone know if BA would be willing to wave that for me given that they stopped flying out my cities International airport?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
BA won't waive the four sectors so you will have to find a way of flying four qualifying sectors. People may have suggestions if you reveal your home airport and regular destinations.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The eligible flights include a BA flight number on any airline ( ie code share - but this normally involves 1 leg on a BA flight) or flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
i'm guessing it's Toronto.....
MADPhil and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zaf
I have been BAEC Gold for a few years now. I used to use London as a hub for most of my international flights. Since COVID hit BA has stopped flying out of my base airport, which left me needing to use other airlines. I have maintained my BAEC tier points needed for Gold through QR, but I won't be able to retain the sectors flights needed.
Does anyone know if BA would be willing to wave that for me given that they stopped flying out my cities International airport?
From Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition

01 Moving between tiers
The promotion process is not as simple as it could be at first glance. First off, in addition to accruing the Tier Points required to qualify for promotion to the next tier or retain at the current tier, you also need to fly either two (for Bronze) or four (for Silver or Gold) qualifying flights during your membership year.

02 What is a qualifying flight?
Examples of criteria used to determine a qualifying flight:
BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix

Note, reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not qualifying flights. BA/IB subsidiaries and franchise operated flights are though.
Can you meet any of those requirements?
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As I mentioned earlier at threads addressing similar situations, I was able to get a one-time exception as BA did not fly to Istanbul for 8 months straight due to Turkey imposing 14 days of government imposed quarantine for UK arrivals during the Kent variant and UK red-listing Turkey for the spring/summer period in 2021.

In my claim, I explained the situation with one sentence and wrote the information of 5-6 BA flights that were cancelled including the route, the PNR and the date.

If the OP is located in Toronto, BA flew to Toronto for at least the previous 8 months as I know someone who flew BA to Toronto last October and Canada relaxed their border restrictions last year.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
It's often possible to find AA-operated flights with BA or IB flight numbers between the EU and the US, and they will count for tier qualification. I recently flew FCO-PHL-ORD-FCO on AA with BA flight numbers and those were counted by BAEC as three qualifying flights. The fare with BA or IB flight numbers booked on ba.com or iberia.com is occasionally even a bit cheaper than if it were booked on aa.com.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:34 pm

You've also got a few fifth freedom BA routes operating in and around the Caribbean which would negate having to do a Euro trip if you're indeed based in the Americas and needed to get your 4 sectors sorted. NAS-GCM and ANU-SKB are 2 that spring to mind. There are others.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Originally Posted by danmushman
i'm guessing it's Toronto.....
Although OP's original post says "Since COVID hit BA has stopped flying out of my base airport", BA are flying to YYZ and indeed YUL these days. Perhaps OP's base airport is DTW?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note that for those whose membership collection year ending 9 June 2022 or sooner don't need to worry about eligible flights for the upcoming renewal, since there is automatic extension for these cardholders. More details:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...21-update.html
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If 4 BA / IB flights is not going to be feasible going forward, then perhaps it's time to be considering another Oneworld ffp.

Although many of us are quite able to distinguish between Executive Club and the actual airline, you have to be flying BA/AA/IB to be getting any extra Avios due to your tier. You also really need to be flying BA metal to have any chance at an op-up. And you need to be flying through a few select airports (such as LHR) to be accessing a better lounge than a soft-landed Silver (or other Oneworld Sapphire) status would get you...
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Note that for those whose membership collection year ending 9 June 2022 or sooner don't need to worry about eligible flights for the upcoming renewal, since there is automatic extension for these cardholders. More details:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...21-update.html
ANGEL, I am dense I know - however I am getting muddled. If I run this past you, would you check whether you think that I have it straight in my head.

My Tier Year ended 8th April and I am now at 0. I need to acquire 1,125 Tier Points by 31st December 2022 in order to re-qualify for 2023-4. According to the aboveI do not need 4 qualifying flights on BA or IB. I might add that this is not an issue as I will be doing that easily. Him Indoors year ends 8th July 2022 and we do not know yet whether he will enjoy the same re-qualification criteria as me and have to accumulate 1,500 points by next July if everything stays the same.

Please shoot down anything that I have got wrong.

PGxxxx
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The word I think you may have missed is "upcoming". We are now on 13 April, so 9 April is in the past. For that event on 9 April you would not need any eligible flights, you were just renewed. Hence the next upcoming event for you is 9 April 2023 - which is after June 2022. So for that event, as things stand, you would need both eligible flights and tier points. As you rightly point out the tier point bit is lower if you get them all in by year end. More details in the wiki and thread referenced.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The word I think you may have missed is "upcoming". We are now on 13 April, so 9 April is in the past. For that event on 9 April you would not need any eligible flights, you were just renewed. Hence the next upcoming event for you is 9 April 2023 - which is after June 2022. So for that event, as things stand, you would need both eligible flights and tier points. As you rightly point out the tier point bit is lower if you get them all in by year end. More details in the wiki and thread referenced.
RIght - I have that straight in my mind and I can work accordingly - thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.