Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Provenance of BA's "Signature British Dishes"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Originally Posted by Genius1
The Club World menu for BA15 LHR-SIN this month.
The British flag next to the ‘traditional Italian tiramisu’ is a particular highlight.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer

BA269 LHR-LAX on 09 April 2022
Once again BA is being inconsistent as always. Why not putting the British flag next to the panna cotta? I mean both desserts are from the same country right? It makes no sense....
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer

BA269 LHR-LAX on 09 April 2022
Traditional Italian tiramisu 🇬🇧 (signature British dish) - really?!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Yeah. Also the Black Forest dessert has a British flag too
alex67500 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Of course it is ! Every bit as British signature as ‘traditional tikka masala’, which was also given the Union Flag …….maybe on the basis that it involved a bit of British chicken …… ?

I guess the tiramisu involves British cream.

The descriptions are clearly not to be taken seriously : just the new interns having some fun amongst themselves in the office as they write the menus 😁
florens likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Of course it is ! Every bit as British signature as ‘traditional tikka masala’, which was also given the Union Flag …….maybe on the basis that it involved a bit of British chicken …… ?

I guess the tiramisu involves British cream.

The descriptions are clearly not to be taken seriously : just the new interns having some fun amongst themselves in the office as they write the menus 😁
Chicken tikka masala is at least a British ‘favourite’, even a national dish of sorts. Tiramisu is really not, any more than creme brûlée is. Both are popular desserts but you definitely wouldn’t describe them as British.
subject2load, wrp96 and bafan like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Chicken tikka masala is at least a British ‘favourite’, even a national dish of sorts. Tiramisu is really not, any more than creme brûlée is. Both are popular desserts but you definitely wouldn’t describe them as British.
That reminds me of a conversation I overheard between crew and a passenger on a QR flight to BKK when the option the chap wanted had run out “but I don’t like curry, I like English food like pizza or Chinese”. 😁😂
wrp96, VSLover, florens and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: Some
A little bit of food history if you're being generous, tiramisu is basically a kind of Zuppa Inglese, which as the name suggests is an Italian dessert that was likely originally copied from English trifle, so Tiramisu is definitely easier for BA to annex than other Italian desserts. Then again, the likelihood this is what BA means is minimal and I'm probably just overthinking it...
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
A little bit of food history if you're being generous, tiramisu is basically a kind of Zuppa Inglese, which as the name suggests is an Italian dessert that was likely originally copied from English trifle, so Tiramisu is definitely easier for BA to annex than other Italian desserts. Then again, the likelihood this is what BA means is minimal and I'm probably just overthinking it...
Well of course crème anglaise is ubiquitous in French pastries but it would still be odd to call a dish ‘tarte aux fraises’ and label it a signature British dish just as it would with crème brûlée or tiramisu. There are plenty of English variants and names for the same/similar things that would make the concept work though!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
A ‘tikka masala’ is about as ‘Indian’ as a Vindaloo and actually originates from the Bangladeshi restaurant-owning community in Glasgow!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I suspect on my LHR-SIN menu, the flag is meant to be adjacent to the cheese. Pretty hilarious though.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I just don’t understand how a Red Leicester and Cheddar ‘cheeseboard’ is not the British dessert whilst the ‘Italian’ tiramisu is. I get that all of these are found on menus in Britain. A few years ago they had ‘British Airways Classics’ (maybe that was in First) but things like fish pie and curry would qualify!

As a Brummie - the home of the Balti and more miles of canals than Venice and a denizen of the city centre I am all for and love global foods; I just don’t really understand the logic. I expect it’s more that somebody typing this out in Word, using last month’s template, forgot to move the flag / didn’t engage brain.

Much like the ‘vegetarian biryani’ or whatever it was a few months ago, when I expect what was meant was ‘vegetable biryani (v)’. (v) suitable for vegetarians. I doubt any vegetarians were harmed in the assembly of the biryani.
abraxias and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:33 pm

Spot the mistake

Had a little laugh at the Club world menu from LHR to MIA yesterday
Old May 16, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Selection of 1 dessert?
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well, maybe it's the British version of the dish?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.