Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Security check in T5B from a T5A arrival via walkway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi all,

I have a fairly tight connection near Easter weekend from a short haul to transatlantic in T5 and my recent experiences with the T5A connection security do not fill me with confidence. After some idle thought, it seems that it should be possible with appropriate elevators to use the underground walkway to go from the T5A arrivals flow to the arrivals area of T5B or T5C and use the connection security there (which always seems much quieter). Of course this would be going against all signage...

Has anyone done this? Is it a terrible idea?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since you are EXP, it would be simpler to use the e-gates to enter the UK and then use the First Wing. Realistically if you land in 5A I can see you being intercepted before getting to 5B.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by superweak
Is it a terrible idea?
i think it is. If someone catches you going the wrong way, which is probable, it might ring some unnecessary alarm bells and make you waste a lot more time than you would have hope to save in an ideal version of your planned scenario.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have a feeling that you can't use the connections security in T5B/C unless your flight is departing from those buildings, I seem to remember reports of that before - and there is a significant risk that connections security in the satellites may not be open on the day you try this. I think I would stick with using connections in T5A tbh or head landside and back airside as suggested by cws - the former is less advisable if you are coming up close to conformance at 35 minutes.

If when you land you come in to B or C, and you see your gate for your short haul is B or C as well, then have a quick look whether the connections security in B or C is open as you head down towards the transit or walkways as it may be best to use

I am not sure I quite buy orbitmic's theory tho having walked "the wrong way" in the tunnels before myself. No one really cares if you look like you know where you are going.
Nightbus to Dalson and becks1 like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 5, 2022 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA

I am not sure I quite buy orbitmic's theory tho having walked "the wrong way" in the tunnels before myself. No one really cares if you look like you know where you are going.
Did you walk the wrong way in the arrivals circuit though? I have walked the wrong way in departure many times and no one cares about that because pax have been cleared before they can do that. I may absolutely be wrong, but in the arrivals circuit, im worried it might look more dodgy. I also always take the corridors at arrivals and I’ve never bumped into anyone walking counter flow so I suspect it would be more likely to be noticed.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:04 am
Original Poster

I'm sure it would look dodgy, that's the real worry.
The connection is to an A380 so extremely unlikely that it wouldn't be 5C, right?
The First Wing suggestion is a good one, thanks (presuming I can still enter the UK with a US passport with the e-gates). I had forgotten the passenger locator form is no more so staying airside is not as important as it was.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Did you walk the wrong way in the arrivals circuit though? I have walked the wrong way in departure many times and no one cares about that because pax have been cleared before they can do that. I may absolutely be wrong, but in the arrivals circuit, im worried it might look more dodgy. I also always take the corridors at arrivals and I’ve never bumped into anyone walking counter flow so I suspect it would be more likely to be noticed.
I think that's very unlikely. You may be over thinking this. I really wouldn't be worried and I wouldn't advise anyone else to be.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:22 am

The connection is to an A380 so extremely unlikely that it wouldn't be 5C, right?
The First Wing suggestion is a good one, thanks (presuming I can still enter the UK with a US passport with the e-gates). I had forgotten the passenger locator form is no more so staying airside is not as important as it was.
Yes it is very likely to arrive on T5C, and pretty unlikely (but not impossible) your onward flight will go from T5C. Your short haul flight is more likely to go from T5A or possibly T5B. If T5B it may be worth walking/transit to T5B and seeing if the connection centre is open there.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Yes it is very likely to arrive on T5C, and pretty unlikely (but not impossible) your onward flight will go from T5C. Your short haul flight is more likely to go from T5A or possibly T5B. If T5B it may be worth walking/transit to T5B and seeing if the connection centre is open there.
I think there's a confusion :-) My *inbound* is the short haul (from GVA) and my *outbound* is the long haul (to IAD). So the most likely scenario is 5A -> 5C.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:29 am

I think there's a confusion :-) My *inbound* is the short haul (from GVA) and my *outbound* is the long haul (to IAD). So the most likely scenario is 5A -> 5C.
Ah, sorry

Well in that case definitely use T5A connections.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Because it's USA, 5C is unlilkely, 5B is where the USA security team is based. There is a good chance it will be 5B to 5B, if not 5A to 5C. If there are only short queues for the e-gates and it's moving, then use that + First Wing, avoiding the checked luggage queue, just go to security. That said, unlike MAN, LHR's problems are not really in the security area, they are in checked luggage / docs check plus ground handling. So pack your checked luggage accordingly since there is a chance of it being delayed a few days, and take a photo of the items laid out on the floor or bed before you pack them.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:45 am

I think tho for an A380 it’s likely to be C even for the US? I know there are a couple of A380 gates on B but my impression was they were never used.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
.... pack your checked luggage accordingly since there is a chance of it being delayed a few days, and take a photo of the items laid out on the floor or bed before you pack them.
That is such a great suggestion and applies in all/most situations not just this one. I assume you've recommended this before for checked baggage but I hadn't noticed it since I always try to go HBO.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:27 am

I have a feeling that you can't use the connections security in T5B/C unless your flight is departing from those buildings, I seem to remember reports of that before - and there is a significant risk that connections security in the satellites may not be open on the day you try this.
C security is often closed now, but B is back to normal, at least until early evening. They do allow it to be used for any connection, but only if you make it clear you know about the existence of the tunnel (and how to find it). Their script is designed for the clueless majority but there’s no specific rule against using it for any I-I connection (obviously it can’t be used for I-D as there’s no UK border post there).

The A380 gates in B are definitely used, but you’re right it’s not hugely common. They tend to move the additional security equipment (and staff) over to C for those flights instead.
KARFA and superweak like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I'm sure it would look dodgy, that's the real worry.
or A10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.