Best way to get to honolulu- lax or dfw?

Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Recently connected at LAX with a overnight each way (Vegas on the way back) outbound to KOA and return from LIH on AA. BA on the TATL legs.

Next time will maybe give DFW a go subject to price, but the AA flights were fine for a 5-6 hour day flight. Food was crap, DIY entertainment, but the bottomless Bloody Mary service sufficed, and we enjoyed a morning in the Flagship Lounge on the way out and a lounge crawl of sorts on route to Vegas.
Funky Spike likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
I would seriously consider connecting in SEA instead, pre-covid there were some fantastically quick connections there. Or PDX, when/if that returns to the schedule. Immigration will be a breeze there.
I did this back in 2017 with BA to SEA and AS down to HNL. 6 hours is a long slog in a 737, even in business. I think it's a similar length sector from LAX, so would strongly suggest DFW - albeit i wonder if detouring to Texas whether going the other way (e.g. via HND) might also be worthwhile looking at?
wrp96 and Confus like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I go to HNL regularly as I have an apartment that I rent out in Waikiki and need to go there whenever possible to inspections.
DYKWPI?
(no not jealous at all!)
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mekko
I did this back in 2017 with BA to SEA and AS down to HNL. 6 hours is a long slog in a 737, even in business. I think it's a similar length sector from LAX, so would strongly suggest DFW - albeit i wonder if detouring to Texas whether going the other way (e.g. via HND) might also be worthwhile looking at?
There was a (fairly contentious) discussion about routing via Asia on FT recently. It might be worth considering if and when the LON-TYO flights resume their normal routing over Russian airspace, instead of the longer routing they are currently taking.

On the other hand, if one is asleep on a JL flat bed en route to HND, maybe the longer routing doesn't matter.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Goldensunset
Thank you all for your replies ,
Looks ike the Dallas one has the most going for it. I will check out the Hyatt and join their programme as we are thinking of staying in the Hyatt Waikiki. Thanks for the links to your TRs T7191 will have a read through them for tips .Lucky you Pucci lovely place to have to visit . This trip is possible because of covid, shielded for short of 18 months and going to blow all the money managed to save on something I never thought Id get to do…..silver linings and all that.
There's a discussion (I think in the Hyatt thread?) about the various DFW airport options for Hyatt properties. Depending on price, you may also want to consider the Hyatt Place or Hyatt Regency.
Geordie405 and Goldensunset like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Confus
I would seriously consider connecting in SEA instead, pre-covid there were some fantastically quick connections there. Or PDX, when/if that returns to the schedule. Immigration will be a breeze there.
SEA gives you a longer narrowbody flight in worse AS cabins. DFW is the better connecting option as you have the second 1230PM HNL flight that still gets into HNL in the early evening should things go south. And DFW is a nicer airport with better OW lounges. AA has their best product on their Hawaii flights. Unless there's a significant cost savings then DFW is the way to go.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:24 am

In the winter, AA also have a wide body service from ORD. Worth looking at too.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by StingWest
Yeah, it's too bad that AA doesn't fly their 787s with the lie flat in the afternoons - DFW->HNL. It would be nice not to have to stop overnight on ones way to this lovely tropical paradise!
I think all the DFW-HNL/OGG are widebodies (unless something has changed very recently), but even with the earliest flight out of LHR, you can't connect to Hawaii on the same day. Coming home, only the early HNL-LAX can get you on a same day flight back to the UK (there's nothing from OGG). Other options involve an overnight flight (not ideal) followed by hanging around in LAX/DFW for the day, or taking a later flight to LAX and then overnight in LA, neither of which is ideal. Unless you're TP running of course and you'd do HNL/OGG-LAX overnight, then LAX-JFK on the transcon for a sleep before getting the last flight home.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Last time I when to HI, I flew at the end of each day... GVA - LHR - LAX - KOA in J/F
The key was to arrive on the evening flight into LAX at about 19:00 was in bed in my airport hotel by 20:30
The next day we had the morning in LA before the evening (about 17:00) flight to KOA, arriving at hotel at about 20:30 local time again.
A walk alone Ali'i drive to stretch the legs was just the trick before bed.
The night in a bed in LAX made the flight to HI, even in a narrow body recliner, more than acceptable. My 70yo mother also kept up with the pace.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
For those mentioning AS, we flew SFO to HNL last week on AS to use up some credit from.cancelled trips, my sincere advice is dont even try it. Remember the days of the AA 757 to HNL? Well its worse than that!
The food was fine but thats it really, back to the days of carpet up.the bulkhead, scuffed leather seats were uncomfortable, cabin crew that vanished for 4 hours. Twiddle your thumbs for 5 hours. We have to fly back with these clowns in a weeks time, the only consolation is the SFO to JFK transcon afterwards.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Take the DFW flight on the widebody. Flagship lounge access, more time to enjoy the lie-flat seat, and the 787 is by far a more comfortable plane.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Take the DFW flight on the widebody. Flagship lounge access, more time to enjoy the lie-flat seat, and the 787 is by far a more comfortable plane.
And just a note to reinforce what was said above: At least for May where I checked, both non-stops from DFW on the 787-9 leave in the morning: one at 9:18am and the other at 11:50am. I believe this means it's impossible to enjoy these from London without an overnight stay in DFW on the way to Honolulu. So the decision becomes: Do you want a lie-flat on the last leg, or would you rather just get there sooner via another airline or connection point?

I travel to Hawaii quite often, and although I have some brand loyalty to BA/AA, I've started using United, who have an evening flight with the Polaris (lie-flat) business class out of SFO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.