Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA49 LHR-SEA cancelled today - help with cause code

Old Apr 1, 22, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Friends were on this today but turned away with an apology letter from BA due to knock on of the disruption earlier in the week. G-ZBLB did arrive 2 hours late at LHR from SEA but presumably some other issue has caused the cancellation.

Looked on expertflyer and it does say Cancelled with HDLY but I can't find a decode of what this means. Can anyone decode for me? Just trying to help the friends for the eventual claim, I didn't find out until after they'd forked out for Icelandair flights tomorrow.

thanks
Ian
Old Apr 1, 22, 11:04 am

I believe it means "handling" - i.e. they have none available! The Y is yes for UK261 compo . BA should have rebooked them and if it was within 24hrs Icelandair would have been a potential option if there wasn't a BA/AA combo available
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Spongthrush View Post
Friends were on this today but turned away with an apology letter from BA due to knock on of the disruption earlier in the week. G-ZBLB did arrive 2 hours late at LHR from SEA but presumably some other issue has caused the cancellation.

Looked on expertflyer and it does say Cancelled with HDLY but I can't find a decode of what this means. Can anyone decode for me? Just trying to help the friends for the eventual claim, I didn't find out until after they'd forked out for Icelandair flights tomorrow.
Yes, it's come back into vogue that, but well done for thinking of doing this, not everyone does. HDL = Handling Yes to compensation. Handling is probably a catch-all, it basically means that BA has run out of operational capacity due to staff shortages in multiple areas. Rebooking self on Icelandair isn't good news, there were other options.
Old Apr 1, 22, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the pax are just ‘normal’ 20yo who don’t presumably know their rights or are Exec Club members. Unfortunately for them the rest of the family went on Virgin and don’t yet know their kids (who chose BA as much cheaper) will not be with them.

Now trying to sort their Covid re-test and their next test to get on to Hawaii.

​​​​​…..
Old Apr 1, 22, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Spongthrush View Post
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the pax are just ‘normal’ 20yo who don’t presumably know their rights or are Exec Club members. Unfortunately for them the rest of the family went on Virgin and don’t yet know their kids (who chose BA as much cheaper) will not be with them.

Now trying to sort their Covid re-test and their next test to get on to Hawaii.
I would still encourage them - once they have returned - to seek redress here, or via you. I am sympathetic to what BA are belatedly trying to resolve, but they need to do the right thing for those affected. In particularl they may need to resolve there return trip if they didn't take the outbound.
Old Apr 1, 22, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
‘Now trying to sort their Covid re-test and their next test to get on to Hawaii.’

No testing required to go on to Hawaii from US mainland, vaccinated or not. Safe Travels Hawaii Program ended on 25/3/22.
Old Apr 1, 22, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
‘Now trying to sort their Covid re-test and their next test to get on to Hawaii.’

No testing required to go on to Hawaii from US mainland, vaccinated or not. Safe Travels Hawaii Program ended on 25/3/22.
Thanks, will pass it on 😀
Old Apr 5, 22, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, AS
Anyone know what is going on with Seattle route?

Looks like cascading delays. Thursday and Friday look on time, which implies 2 flights on Thursday.

Is this still the knock on effect from the IT meltdown or something else?

Flying out Friday so hoping this pattern doesn't extend out further.

Old Apr 5, 22, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Anyone know what is going on with Seattle route?

Looks like cascading delays. Thursday and Friday look on time, which implies 2 flights on Thursday.

Is this still the knock on effect from the IT meltdown or something else?

Flying out Friday so hoping this pattern doesn't extend out further.
Last night's 48 was delayed because the outbound 49 was delayed and crew timed out, so had to be re-planned for today (1800 local, ZBLA). Today's normal 49 outbound (switched to ZBKI) will operate last night's delayed 48 back tonight. The reason Monday's delayed 49 out (ZBLA) cannot immediately turn around tonight is because a new pilot needed to be flown out today, so they will have to rest overnight. So the current plan is that there will be two returning tomorrow, Wednesday (not Thursday). So two non related delays just getting very complicated, neither of which should affect your flight on Friday because the single B789 rotation gives the days break required on the B78X rotations to allow ZBLB to take over SEA runs. Phew...
Old Apr 5, 22, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, AS
Thanks Airprox for the info. Phew indeed!

Search this Thread