Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow t5 disruption 2nd April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:14 pm

T5 busy today

Flights taking off as scheduled bar those that were previously cancelled.

Enjoy your flight as much as I am.

Looks a lot are complaining about their day not running to plan

keep your chins up
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Logans Day
T5 busy today

Flights taking off as scheduled bar those that were previously cancelled.

Enjoy your flight as much as I am.

Looks a lot are complaining about their day not running to plan

keep your chins up
Flights definitely were not 'taking off as scheduled bar those previously cancelled' today.
There were numerous short notice cancellations today. One example was BA636, the 9.55am to Athens. Flight was cancelled after 9am and after boarding gate had been announced.

Last edited by gcuk; Apr 3, 2022 at 2:32 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
Flights definitely were not 'taking off as scheduled bar those previously cancelled today'.
There were numerous short notice cancellations today. One example was BA636, the 9.55am to Athens. Flight was cancelled after 9am and after boarding gate had been announced.
Always exceptions in any scenario and feel your pain.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Logans Day
Always exceptions in any scenario and feel your pain.
The following were short notice cancellations this morning, until 8.30am:
6.40am AGP, 7.10am EDI, 7.35am WAW, 7.40am NCE, 7.55am HAJ, 8.15am SOF, 8.20 PMO
The cancellations continued and gathered momentum into the late afternoon. The departure boards were a sea of red from 4pm onwards.
You call that 'exceptions', Really?
It was a shambles today, plain and simple.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Flights definitely were not 'taking off as scheduled bar those previously cancelled' today.
And my flight to NCL is nearly running 45 mins late already… we are now waiting for a tug after one broke down and another ran out of battery.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here are the BA punctuality stats for Saturday departures:

Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by benjai
Are the issues just with Terminal 5? Flying BA T3 tomorrow....
no, NUE was canceled on Friday already but BA stuff was only to rebook me on their on metal on Monday. bought a ticket out of STN…
86BA7 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
I still remain totally astounded at the silence from BA Senior Management over the past few weeks - why on earth has Sean not publicly recognised the impact and frustration that weeks of disruption has caused passengers?

It’s almost like they’re beyond caring and it’s certainly not doing anything to help the brand. I recall reading a BBC News article during the Feb IT drama - whereby BA would ‘proactively make it up to customers’ - well I for one haven’t heard a peep..
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by londonba2014
I still remain totally astounded at the silence from BA Senior Management over the past few weeks - why on earth has Sean not publicly recognised the impact and frustration that weeks of disruption has caused passengers?

It’s almost like they’re beyond caring and it’s certainly not doing anything to help the brand. I recall reading a BBC News article during the Feb IT drama - whereby BA would ‘proactively make it up to customers’ - well I for one haven’t heard a peep..
I find this equally surprising and increasingly concerning.

It seems some front line staff are asking customers out of genuine curiosity (met by staff at LAX today and they want to know “what it’s really like at Heathrow these days”, random chat with pilots whilst walking to immigration).

But BA shouldn’t be relying on these chance interactions with their front line staff to share messages of “hope things improve” and “aren’t you lucky this time” when things go well.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:20 am

I’ve been caught up with cancellations in the IT fiasco at the end of Feb and now a very short notice cancellation this weekend.

The email I received within 10 minutes telling me my flight was carefully considered for cancellation to minimise impact is a load of bull excrement. My flight was full, and the majority of passengers were rebooked for the next day. Interesting there is no mention of Ec261 duty of care or compensation in the email. Really BA? Trying to weasel out of that obligation as well?

For those who haven’t seen the email when your flight is cancelled:
You will have received an email from us recently to notify you of a cancellation to your flight. It’s important that message reaches you at the earliest opportunity to make you aware of your options to rebook or claim a refund. But outside that automated process, we also wanted to send you a direct message to explain the action we’ve taken and why.

Flying again after nearly two years on the ground is a complex business. Moving aircraft and crews into position is an enormous logistical challenge. We’re trying to build back our summer schedule at great pace to get as many customers away as possible and the speed of that change is significant, we’ve doubled the number of departures from Heathrow since Christmas.

One of the things we’re committed to doing at British Airways is giving our customers as much certainty and information as possible. Our experience in the last few weeks has shown the need to build more resilience in to our operation to give you the certainty you deserve. This means reducing parts of our schedule, but by doing this we will be better able to manage the ramp back up to levels we have not experienced or had to manage in more than two years.

When choosing flights to remove from the schedule we scan very carefully to choose flights with the fewest number of bookings and where we know there are other flights operating around the same time with space so that we can get you to your destination as quickly as possible. With that in mind, to ensure we deliver on our on the day service promises to you, we have made the difficult decision to cancel your flight. Hopefully you have already taken action and either accepted an alternative flight offered from our original email or claimed a refund if you are unhappy with the options offered or you no longer wish to travel. The quickest and easiest way to do this is by entering your reference number via www.ba.com and clicking on ‘Manage my booking’.

Once again, we do apologise. We certainly don’t make these decisions lightly, but we hope this message has helped explain the rationale.

We very much hope to welcome you soon on an alternative British Airways service, thank you for your understanding.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Simon Calder, reporting from (a hotel overlooking) T5 on Radio 4 just now, says that there have been further short-notice cancellations this morning, bringing the total number of cancellations to and from Heathrow to 90 today (4 April).

Interestingly, the presenter of the programme said that British Airways is refusing to speak to the media.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:40 am

.and just for the record, for the proactive bit about making it right, the great IT meltdown of 2017/18 resulted in anyone flying over those days getting a year added to their BA status.

I didn’t benefit then but as a July year end, just over half way to renewing, impacted by the IT cancellations at End Feb, a cancellation this weekend, and with cancellations on half my bookings between now and July, a targeted extension for those directly affected would go a long way to making it right 😉
Silver Fox, becks1 and lcylocal like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
.and just for the record, for the proactive bit about making it right, the great IT meltdown of 2017/18 resulted in anyone flying over those days getting a year added to their BA status.

I didn’t benefit then but as a July year end, just over half way to renewing, impacted by the IT cancellations at End Feb, a cancellation this weekend, and with cancellations on half my bookings between now and July, a targeted extension for those directly affected would go a long way to making it right 😉
Not that you are guaranteed to be able to fly anywhere, or to make use of that extension

I remember that outage. Luckily, I was flying on some random economy trip to somewhere that cost not a lot.
GGL at the time, so turned up at LHR at 11am and found queues and chaos everywhere in T5. Waltzed through the First Wing and had a lovely lunch in the CCR, watching all flights up to 3pm getting cancelled. Mine was later, so i wasnt too bothered. Went home once everything got cancelled as rebooking queues were all around the terminal.
Did end up with 2 years of GGL for that day, and a nice champagne lunch

Not so nice though if you had some major holiday with the family etc. booked.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve been caught up with cancellations in the IT fiasco at the end of Feb and now a very short notice cancellation this weekend.

The email I received within 10 minutes telling me my flight was carefully considered for cancellation to minimise impact is a load of bull excrement. My flight was full, and the majority of passengers were rebooked for the next day. Interesting there is no mention of Ec261 duty of care or compensation in the email. Really BA? Trying to weasel out of that obligation as well?

For those who haven’t seen the email when your flight is cancelled:
You will have received an email from us recently to notify you of a cancellation to your flight. It’s important that message reaches you at the earliest opportunity to make you aware of your options to rebook or claim a refund. But outside that automated process, we also wanted to send you a direct message to explain the action we’ve taken and why.

Flying again after nearly two years on the ground is a complex business. Moving aircraft and crews into position is an enormous logistical challenge. We’re trying to build back our summer schedule at great pace to get as many customers away as possible and the speed of that change is significant, we’ve doubled the number of departures from Heathrow since Christmas.

One of the things we’re committed to doing at British Airways is giving our customers as much certainty and information as possible. Our experience in the last few weeks has shown the need to build more resilience in to our operation to give you the certainty you deserve. This means reducing parts of our schedule, but by doing this we will be better able to manage the ramp back up to levels we have not experienced or had to manage in more than two years.

When choosing flights to remove from the schedule we scan very carefully to choose flights with the fewest number of bookings and where we know there are other flights operating around the same time with space so that we can get you to your destination as quickly as possible. With that in mind, to ensure we deliver on our on the day service promises to you, we have made the difficult decision to cancel your flight. Hopefully you have already taken action and either accepted an alternative flight offered from our original email or claimed a refund if you are unhappy with the options offered or you no longer wish to travel. The quickest and easiest way to do this is by entering your reference number via www.ba.com and clicking on ‘Manage my booking’.

Once again, we do apologise. We certainly don’t make these decisions lightly, but we hope this message has helped explain the rationale.

We very much hope to welcome you soon on an alternative British Airways service, thank you for your understanding.
Doesn’t BA usually try to weasel out of paying any compensation? Sorry to hear about your cancellation.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:51 am

Have to say, I find that email ludicrous, and I'd be properly angry if it had been sent to me.

Here's a thought, if you can't handle the flights, don't sell the tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.