Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Any insider intel on delayed BA165 LHR - TLV 1 Apr

Old Apr 1, 22, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Pilot got positive Covid test at the gate and there is no standby pilot at LHR!!!

Annoying because we left the CCR because we were told the flight was boarding.

FTers were very helpful with providing info when our last flight from MLE was delayed 7 hours. Anyone got any info on when a pilot might be found??
Old Apr 1, 22, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Matmid Silverish
The same thing happened to me on 165 on 11/02.It took over three hours for the replacement pilot as they had to ensure his PCR test was within the 72 hours required by the Israeli authorities.
Hopefully your replacement will be sooner.
Old Apr 1, 22, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Not sure on how long the delay is but if it is a long one it might be worth going to the b gate longer.
it looks like you are at gate c52 so would need to use the underground walkway to b gates.
if the pilot had to come from home in the London area it could be an hour plus ( completely random guess). Others may have more ideas.

Regards

Tbs
Old Apr 1, 22, 3:24 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post
Annoying because we left the CCR because we were told the flight was boarding.
You are allowed to back into a lounge after you leave it FYI.

It is about a 20 minute walk back; just do not ride the transit; youll need to continue down beneath it and walk through the passage ways there.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Now comfy in the B gate lounge. Snuck the kids into the CCR while it was quiet at 6am but wont be able to get them back in now.
Old Apr 1, 22, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Nearly 3 hours after scheduled departure and still no pilot!!

Why oh why do BA insist on posting incorrect departure times in the terminal. The flight board has gone Flight departing 08.50/09.30/10.30/11.05. Lounge staff say to ignore and wait for an announcement but its very unsettling.
The _Banking_Scot and u01sss3 like this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 4:53 am

At least when BA165 was delayed, when I flew, we were all on board and the gin was flowing. I received notification of a EUR 300 successful claim yesterday, although in my case the test result was lost, rather than positive. The issue to concentrate on, if you do claim, is that previously the tests were undertaken the day before, this provided a resilience should a positive or lost test occur. Now they are done on the day and as such no resilience or back up exists.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 5:04 am

TLV tests for cabin crew are conducted the day prior to departure. For flight crew, the test is done on the day of departure. Because it's a long-haul route, they do not have airport standby pilots, only home standby. I'm not sure what the callout time is for HSBY flight crew, but I'm assuming you may still have a fair wait before one arrives and has done a PCR. Systems show a departure time of 1105L which suggests it's a rolling delay and ops aren't sure of an ETD either.
Old Apr 1, 22, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
BA COM showing overnight delay

Hi

This is news you will not want to hear but ba com is now showing an overnight delay until 0900 tomorrow sat 2nd April.

I would check with the guest assistance desk in the lounge ( or maybe track in the ccr) re status and arranging overnight accomodation.

Good luck

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 1, 22, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Its cancelled (or delayed until 08.50 tomorrow as BA like to say).

Currently in GF arguing for rerouting via Athens. Really need to get to TLV tonight because otherwise the 24 hour quarantine requirement throws out our entire tour schedule.

Are we entitled to rerouting? Can anyone give me chapter and verse on our entitlement?? I am currently being told that BA need to have a ticketing agreement with the other airline in order for them to reroute us.

Alternatives to Aegean are Swiss or Virgin but the timings get progressively worse.
Old Apr 1, 22, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Its cancelled (or delayed until 08.50 tomorrow as BA like to say).

Currently in GF arguing for rerouting via Athens. Really need to get to TLV tonight because otherwise the 24 hour quarantine requirement throws out our entire tour schedule.

Are we entitled to rerouting? Can anyone give me chapter and verse on our entitlement?? I am currently being told that BA need to have a ticketing agreement with the other airline in order for them to reroute us.

Alternatives to Aegean are Swiss or Virgin but the timings get progressively worse.
Old Apr 1, 22, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post

Take the Virgin option first and the Swiss option if you can't get on it. Virgin is a direct service, less can go wrong in theory....

There isn't a formal entitlement to use another airline in this circumstance, though BA does allow this particularly if they can get the delay down below 4 hours or an overnight at their expense. I would not surprise me if BA doesn't ahve a ticketing arrangement with Aegean, but it has with the Lufthansa group.
Old Apr 1, 22, 6:34 am
Original Poster

We are booked on Aegean. 02.00 arrival preferred to 03.30 or 05.45.
Old Apr 1, 22, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Excellent. As a general FYI, the maximum quarantine period is 24 hours but general experience seems to be that it comes back in 8-12 hours.
Old Apr 1, 22, 8:26 am

Thankfully the PCR at TLV is very fast, I have landed around 6pm and had results by midnight....and that is the standard PCR.There is a 4 hour turnaround test too. Both are much cheaper than UK PCR tests.

Search this Thread