Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Finally ready to get back to Vegas, but... J prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AerClub

I know there's less choice of flights now, but how are prices so over the top?
In the good old days before the plague, I would get to Vegas 3 to 4 times a year, and business class prices originating in DUB (where I'm based) were always reasonable and I looked forward to my outbound travel day - early flight to LHR, transfer to T3 and spend a few hours lounge hopping (mainly Cathay F lounge) and then upstairs on the 747, or sometimes in the nose if prices were good or I got lucky with an OpUp.

I'm hoping to get away for 8 to 10 days in late April to early May and I'm frankly shocked at the prices, which are coming in at twice or three times what I was used to paying in the beforetimes.
Any tips?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
This is not a very helpful reply, but... there is huge demand at the moment, lots of propensity for leisure travel, airlines have racked up the fares and many passengers are willing to pay. I wouldn't expect fares to decrease any time soon, particularly not for relatively short notice bookings.
RJD1983 and DelTroon like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Massive demand for Vegas at the moment. I was just speaking to a colleague who had been out there for a conference. He said he'd never seen it busier - big queues everywhere and high prices.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Should’ve booked exAMS or exCDG six months ago would’ve got it for £950 like many others. Now demand is far exceeding supply. I had a great deal for Xmas / New Year
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
This is not a very helpful reply, but... there is huge demand at the moment, lots of propensity for leisure travel, airlines have racked up the fares and many passengers are willing to pay. I wouldn't expect fares to decrease any time soon, particularly not for relatively short notice bookings.
And remember BA scrapped early the world's largest fleet of 747-400s and didn't speed up the replacement orders.

And got rid of thousands of staff.

So now demand is coming back, there are sufficient seats.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
*insufficient?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Farringdon
Massive demand for Vegas at the moment. I was just speaking to a colleague who had been out there for a conference. He said he'd never seen it busier - big queues everywhere and high prices.
I have just got backed and had a comped suite for 3 nights...

It was busier than January, but not heaving at all compared to pre-C19
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FinnRolo
I know there's less choice of flights now, but how are prices so over the top?
In the good old days before the plague, I would get to Vegas 3 to 4 times a year, and business class prices originating in DUB (where I'm based) were always reasonable and I looked forward to my outbound travel day - early flight to LHR, transfer to T3 and spend a few hours lounge hopping (mainly Cathay F lounge) and then upstairs on the 747, or sometimes in the nose if prices were good or I got lucky with an OpUp.

I'm hoping to get away for 8 to 10 days in late April to early May and I'm frankly shocked at the prices, which are coming in at twice or three times what I was used to paying in the beforetimes.
Any tips?
Are fares similarly high to nearby airports, like PHX, SAN, LAX, SFO? Short-haul airfares to/from LAS can be quite low -- I'm seeing LAX-LAS-LAX Economy Class roundtrips for as low as $88-90 USD on American and Southwest. (And Southwest allows two free checked bags per passenger.)
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Isn’t it the first NAB for 2 years 23-27th? Vegas will be heaving I expect
stevebintley likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Certainly conventions are returning - I am going to Cisco Live in June - but I think on a smaller scale than in the past. I haven't been down The Strip in a while (I tend to avoid it as much as possible) so can't really comment on whether it's "heaving" or not.

That said, in some ways I am quite happy to see higher prices from the UK to the USA. I am fed up hearing of all the bargain ex-EU fares and cheap as chips ex-UK ones while we in the USA almost never have any sort of sale on fares to the UK. It gets quite tedious seeing people boasting about how they were able to get from DUB to LAS in J for only EUR 99.99 (I jest, but you get the point) whereas BA are currently charging $4203 for a LAS - NCL return in WT+ in May and $10601 for the same dates in Club.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
We only past through LAS on the way to Death Valley last week, but the rental car situation was particularly dire. Only the obligatory two Mustang convertibles in the Hertz President’s Circle zone. One of the employees took pity on us when he saw us looking puzzled and he rustled up a cute little Mercedes hatchback when we explained that the Mustang convertible was not the ideal car for a National Parks trip.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you don't mind booking separate tickets. United has r/t to Los Angeles for EUR2007 . For the 236 miles from LAX-LAS, there are r/t economy fares for $88 with Delta
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:38 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Just snapped up DUB-LAS via JFK (and LAX on return) in June for £1.5k. 640 tier points and back to gold. Played with Matrix and booked with Propeller. AA transatlantic out and BA back.

And diamond caesars (so not resort fees) for £25 on eBay. Win when staying for 2+ weeks

edit: op.. the June prices are still there, but April/May is pretty close to be expecting low prices

Last edited by PxC; Mar 31, 2022 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Geordie405
That said, in some ways I am quite happy to see higher prices from the UK to the USA. I am fed up hearing of all the bargain ex-EU fares and cheap as chips ex-UK ones while we in the USA almost never have any sort of sale on fares to the UK. It gets quite tedious seeing people boasting about how they were able to get from DUB to LAS in J for only EUR 99.99 (I jest, but you get the point) whereas BA are currently charging $4203 for a LAS - NCL return in WT+ in May and $10601 for the same dates in Club.
Oh Dear. So if we can’t get them , why should they. How unfair life is.

I would imagine that fares are set to go much higher before long.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Of course, people in the U.S. can easily pick up hundreds of thousands of BA and IB Avios, AAdvantage miles, UA MileagePlus miles, Delta SkyMiles, and even Avianca LifeMiles through credit-card sign-up bonuses with Amex, Barclays, Capital One, Chase, US Bank, etc., so don't be too upset when our cousins across the Pond get the occasional great fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.