Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Mar : [Another] BA Global IT outage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi there, I got caught up in this today and would appreciate some advice please.

Have a BA holiday booking to Dublin, flight was cancelled this evening after 4 hours in the lounge. can't rebook online as it's with car hire. I booked myself an avios flight for lunchtime from city for tomorrow, hoping to sort it all out afterwards (I want double tier points due from today's flight).
I've just had email saying i've been automatically rebooked for tomorrow morning from city at 0645 in ET. Obviously there's no hope of getting through to the call centres and do anything about this.
The main question is what should I do tomorrow?

Secondary question is how much i can reasonably wring BA for all this. it was an incredible experience in the airport. no one knew anything and were freely sending people to the next point where no one knew anything either. I want delay compensation and i want tier points, and at a minimum a refund of the avios and cash i've spent on the extra flight. (as well as heathrow express etc).

I also had to throw away a lovely bottle of scotch to go hand-baggage only instead of checking the bag as originally planned, as there was no hope of checking in the bag in time, would love to think they'd pay for that but seems unlikely.

thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Wasn't there a ECJ ruling a couple of years ago stating that you are entitled to double compensation if you're booked on a flight which is cancelled and then rebooked on a flight which is also cancelled? I think the ruling was about AY from Asia to Europe.
oh I do hope so!!! They did that to me from SZG in Feb!!
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by pleb
Hi there, I got caught up in this today and would appreciate some advice please.

Have a BA holiday booking to Dublin, flight was cancelled this evening after 4 hours in the lounge. can't rebook online as it's with car hire. I booked myself an avios flight for lunchtime from city for tomorrow, hoping to sort it all out afterwards (I want double tier points due from today's flight).
I've just had email saying i've been automatically rebooked for tomorrow morning from city at 0645 in ET. Obviously there's no hope of getting through to the call centres and do anything about this.

Secondary question is how much i can reasonably wring BA for all this. it was an incredible experience in the airport. no one knew anything and were freely sending people to the next point where no one knew anything either. I want delay compensation and i want tier points, and at a minimum a refund of the avios and cash i've spent on the extra flight. (as well as heathrow express etc).

I also had to throw away a lovely bottle of scotch to go hand-baggage only instead of checking the bag as originally planned, as there was no hope of checking in the bag in time, would love to think they'd pay for that but seems unlikely.

thanks.
Get in touch with the BA Holidays duty office, mobile number on your paperwork, text them & they should call back pretty quickly.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm due to be on BA443 tomorrow (AMS-LHR). I've been able to check in online and now have my boarding pass. However, when going back into MMB, it now says the flight is cancelled. Of the options for a different flight, BA443 is an option. In addition, BA are still selling BA443 on their website. So I'm confused as to whether the flight is cancelled or not. Anyone able to shed some light for me. Much appreciated
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
My tomorrow flight went from delayed to on time for a few hours and now it says it’s unable to update
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by silonic
I'm due to be on BA443 tomorrow (AMS-LHR). I've been able to check in online and now have my boarding pass. However, when going back into MMB, it now says the flight is cancelled. Of the options for a different flight, BA443 is an option. In addition, BA are still selling BA443 on their website. So I'm confused as to whether the flight is cancelled or not. Anyone able to shed some light for me. Much appreciated
According to Expert Flyer your flight is cancelled.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
Wasn't there a ECJ ruling a couple of years ago stating that you are entitled to double compensation if you're booked on a flight which is cancelled and then rebooked on a flight which is also cancelled? I think the ruling was about AY from Asia to Europe.
can't remember the name of the case offhand but you are correct on the substance.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Has the winner of the race to the bottom been declared yet? Is has to be over bar the shouting, surely?

And to think I had a great airport and flight experience up to EDI yesterday. T5 functioning well. Gold wing had no queue. F-lounge had plenty of seating. Boarded on time from an A-gate over a jet bridge. Friendly proactive crew with great teamwork. Welcome from IFM managed pre-take off even though from A17 we departed on 9R. I had my first drink before we had crossed the M25 Northbound. In my hotel at airport before the scheduled arrival time. I was going to publish a new post asking that we all recalibrate ourselves given that "most" of the time, BA is really an excellent airline. Maybe I am the Hex on the airline?

I should keep my opinions to myself. At this rate, they will cancel my return home.
Blinking Nora. 10:05 from EDI to LHR Thursday 31sr now cancelled. And there were 32 in Club. I suppose the B and E seats will be getting dusted off.
becks1 and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I think you'll have to email the BAH duty office to say what you have done. You can FTV the Avios booking, if the 06:45 option is viable. I'm not sure you'll be able get anything for the whisky or the double TPs (though BAH probably would give that if you still take up the car hire), but you should get the Ł210 EC261 compensation, the London travel costs, meals. Not sure about the Avios redemption since BA has offered an alternative but you should certainly ask for it.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
My heart goes out to anyone put through the wringer over this. Who would have thought this gift would keep on giving.

My heart definitely does not go out to British Airways though, or any of the leadership team. I actually confess to feeling a little schadenfreude (for the years of cutting the product to the bone) that this will hit BA where it hurts.

Although, some good may come of this; money is the only language BA speaks and this will disabuse them of tens of millions, at a time when they can least afford it. A poster above has recently asked what they can wring out of BA and I wholeheartedly back them.

So if they don’t hear the thousands of complaints and negative NPS surveys that will ensue (and why would we think they will?) then the precious shareholder return and tantalising profit margin will be felt in their absence. Hopefully propelling us to some kind of fundamental reset of the company.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:43 pm

Thanks - there was a london number on the paperwork for the duty office which when i rang gave an email address to get in touch with.

Imagine they've a lot on their plate this evening!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 pm

Just had my flights cancelled for tomorrow back to the U.K. So had to rebook flights with Lufthansa, as no other options were available from Germany. Put a claim in to be reimbursed for new flights and EU261 compensation, hoping this will be approved if not I’ll get my travel insurance to get my money back from BA but fingers crossed they will play ball. €320 each for flights though
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:59 pm

Thanks CWS, I've dropped them an email now.

Path of least resistance seems to be to take the 0645 painful as that will be.

Had checked in for the avios flight which precludes cancelling the flight online - would requesting a refund for that be straightforward after the fact?

have realised that my original booking was for the 1505 flight rebooked to 1730 - cancelled and rebooked 6 days out. so perhaps two lots of EU261 due...
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks CWS, I've dropped them an email now.

Path of least resistance seems to be to take the 0645 painful as that will be.

Had checked in for the avios flight which precludes cancelling the flight online - would requesting a refund for that be straightforward after the fact?

have realised that my original booking was for the 1505 flight rebooked to 1730 - cancelled and rebooked 6 days out. so perhaps two lots of EU261 due...
I very much doubt you will be able to get two amounts of EC261 for essentially the same journey. But you can still FTV your Avios flight here (more details in the FTV threads):
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Anyone can check Expertflyer what is going with my flight? Is it overbooked? On BA website is on sale for Ł663 in economy with no C available. BA0886 31/03/2022

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.