Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Mar : [Another] BA Global IT outage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royal757
Any idea if they’ll bring back “normal” prices before Easter? Trying to fly out of LHR on Apr.12 and wondering if I should start to plan something else or wait until they come back
Who knows? I initially thought that CWS's hunch in post #257 that they must have zero'ed out inventory to give themselves some time to re-plan sounded like the most likely explanation. However, several days have now passed and I would have thought that they would have progressed on that if such was their intention so it feels like they want to continue discouraging the buying of tickets for now.
Personally, if I needed a ticket for the week before Easter, I would not wait for BA to make its mind up and would book something now to be on the safe side (not to mention that, if BA do re-open inventory, we are still not protected from a repeat IT meltdown, which. close to Easter, could turn even uglier).
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There were three European trips I had to book for April and I have now done so. Two will be on Easyjet and one on Ryanair.

To be clear, I have never shied away from booking my trips on different airlines and not just on BA nor just on One World. I even quite like Easyjet in a particular sort of way, find this forum's occasional tendency to treat them as though they were some sort of hell on earth unfair and more than a little snobbish, and I use them a few times each year.

That said, It is certainly unusual that I will book Easyjet twice for two consecutive weeks;
It is certainly unusual that I book Ryanair which I am not a big fan of;
And it is certainly unusual that I am not planning a single BA flight in the whole of a calendar month.

Make of all of that what you will (and include in your ingredients a little annoyance at the repeated chaos - not in an angry way, but just in the sense that I'm a mundane creature who just likes to minimise unnecessary stress when travelling, and more than a little annoyance at no suggestion of any decent support for requalification for those of us with summer TP year).

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 3, 2022 at 2:44 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just completed an excellent return to AGP on Vueling. Cost £46 return booked in Jan. Flights were clean, functional and both outbound and return touched down early. Gatwick south was busy but efficient too. Good to try other airlines and will use again if price is right
Silver Fox and ianjr like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
So, I submitted a claim for my delayed flight to Miami on March 30th - BA 209 which arrived over 3 hours late - and just received a reply that my claim is refused as my flight was delayed due to operational reasons and 'even if our operation is only disrupted for a short period of time in the morning, this can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day' . ' The delay was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule' . The delay was due to the IT outage in the afternoon during boarding, so well within their control as they control their systems and am at a loss for words at this ridiculous and inaccurate answer. I will reply to them but anybody else received a similar reply?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair
So, I submitted a claim for my delayed flight to Miami on March 30th - BA 209 which arrived over 3 hours late - and just received a reply that my claim is refused as my flight was delayed due to operational reasons and 'even if our operation is only disrupted for a short period of time in the morning, this can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day' . ' The delay was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule' . The delay was due to the IT outage in the afternoon during boarding, so well within their control as they control their systems and am at a loss for words at this ridiculous and inaccurate answer. I will reply to them but anybody else received a similar reply?
Their modus operandi is to fob you off by default. I wish they were forced to pay out even a bigger comp when they try to lie their way out of it.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
at a loss for words at this ridiculous and inaccurate answer. I will reply to them but anybody else received a similar reply?
It's sickening isn't it? Waste of everyone's time. Not caught up in the current snafu, but I was once delayed LHR-IST by 4+ hours due to no crew available (literally cabin crew sitting at the gate waiting for pilots, pilots later apologised and said explicitly it was due to lack of crew). The first letter from BA blamed it on weather and said no compo. Initiated a small claims and they paid up within 48 hours.
orbitmic and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:00 am

Very disappointing that after this utter failure on the 30th they are trying to wriggle out of compensating, claiming 'it is out of our their control'. Hope they see that this is actually within their control and get down to fixing the issue instead of trying to lie their way out of it!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Very disappointing that after this utter failure on the 30th they are trying to wriggle out of compensating, claiming 'it is out of our their control'. Hope they see that this is actually within their control and get down to fixing the issue instead of trying to lie their way out of it!
Well follow the usual advice: do not get into an argument with BA on this, just ask them to confirm that their answer will not change so that you can take the matter to CEDR / MCOL. One sentence only.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
How delightful, such a lovely sweet-hearted company. In addition to pursuing them for every penny they are due, I hope you make their stance public on social media.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As cws rightly says, you are unfortunately wasting your time hoping for a change of attitude. Sadly, in recent months, it’s been ba’s default reaction to deny compensation for flights they chose to cancel as part of their Covid or breakdown management, undoubtedly hoping to discourage many from pursuing. One has to go through cedr and as NickB mentioned in another thread, only the regulator could step in and ensure that airlines have something to lose by frivolously denying claims which they “should” know are legitimate. Maybe at some point, some of us who have unnecessarily wasted time and energy to get compensation that should have been paid un controversially should complain to the regulator to ask for such action but that is another matter.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:06 am

Thanks, sad it has to come to this. I am unfamiliar with the cedr process but I am sure I will be able to find the info on what to do on FT.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:07 am

Thanks, sad it has to come to this. I am unfamiliar with the cedr process but I am sure I will be able to find the info on what to do on FT.
Yes lots of great details in the main ec261 thread!
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
If BA was a bank in the U.K. and acted in this way, it probably would have lost its licence by now. What a shame airlines are not under a regulatory obligation to treat customers fairly.
LeeT, choosethedrew and ratechaser like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aoyamaguy
If BA was a bank in the U.K. and acted in this way, it probably would have lost its licence by now. What a shame airlines are not under a regulatory obligation to treat customers fairly.
TSB Bank we’re out of action with an IT failure for weeks in 2018. I think they lost £300 million over the period, as well as loads of customers, but they’re still operating.
We’re obviously a forgiving bunch in the UK 🙂
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
They are a lot quicker denying week-old EC261 claims than they are at responding to complaints from the disruption at the end of February, that's for sure. Over 5 weeks I've been waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.