30 Mar : [Another] BA Global IT outage

Old Apr 2, 22, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
IT is a sector that has boomed during covid. Pay has gone up too. If BA's cost cutting extends to IT department salaries then they will not get the talent as they are coin operated at the moment.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I confess … please forgive me, but I’m starting to look at other airlines to meet our leisure needs.

Stone me, if you must, but please do it gently (preferably using gravel or smaller). Despite 2 perfectly reasonable l/h trips with BA this year already, looking ahead through the current chaos there must be some safer and more reliable options. Work in progress, but this latest fiasco has my ‘loyalty’ to BA, BAEC and Avios on the rocks of reality.
Old Apr 2, 22, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by fluffymitten View Post
My GLA-LHR tomorrow is cancelled too. I received an email with a phone number that cuts me off after telling me they're prioritising calls from people whose flights have been cancelled.

I see there's seats on an earlier flight going for £400+ in economy. I'd book it if I had confidence that the flight will operate and I'd get the money back.

Mine is a holiday booking, with car hire to get the bonus tier points, so I am expecting someone to contact me to sort it out.
As someone else on a BAH booking with a car, I'd say your chances of getting anyone from BAH to contact you are slightly less than winning the lottery if my experience of zero call backs over a week is anything to go by. Two weeks ago it only took about 4 hours (across several tries) to get through to BAH, but this week it is about as easy as flying a 747 through the channel tunnel.
Old Apr 2, 22, 11:28 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
I’d like to think that August might give enough time for airlines and airports to have recruited and trained some more staff,
I find that doubtful. Even if they recruited the staff today, they need to be trained and have security clearance done, and then it takes time and experience for them to become competent, effective and productive at their job. I highly doubt all that could be accomplished in 4 months.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
………………….Despite 2 perfectly reasonable l/h trips with BA this year already, looking ahead through the current chaos there must be some safer and more reliable options. Work in progress, but this latest fiasco has my ‘loyalty’ to BA, BAEC and Avios on the rocks of reality.
I personally don’t see myself ditching avios any time soon, though that’s largely because of the many opportunities they continue to offer right across the OW alliance - not least under the new QR setup for destinations to ‘the east’

In common with many other FT-ers, I have found over the years that - with a policy of managing expectations and accepting BA’s various shortcomings for what they are - my experiences with them have (mostly, albeit not always) been acceptable. But I sense that these latest operational happenings are slowly moving the airline into a different category, one where many may quite likely be prompted to start questioning just how much risk of cancellation + associated hassle factors is acceptable when making choices for forward bookings.

And so with that said, I can understand, Uncle T, why you might wish to consider putting some eggs into other baskets. Many redemptions on Star Alliance can be refreshingly attractive. Just one example, which I booked up last Friday as part of a multi-country trip later this year : AKL-SIN, short s/over, then SIN-PER. That’s one long-haul and one mid-haul sector making a combined flying time of over 15 hours all in biz, with a (genuinely !) premium carrier, in the shape of SQ. 45K miles spent, taxes / charges totalling just £62.37. Top value I say !
Old Apr 2, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I have to say that I am starting to wonder myself if half a million Avios in a BAEC account is an excessively risky trading position right now. I guess I could just flip some of it to Qatar... or Sainsbury...
Old Apr 2, 22, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
I have to say that I am starting to wonder myself if half a million Avios in a BAEC account is an excessively risky trading position right now. I guess I could just flip some of it to Qatar... or Sainsbury...
why aren't you using them?
bafan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 3:35 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I’m keeping mine in Amex and nectar. I took out a VS credit card to pay the school fees as I’m going to do the next TATL on VS/DL or KL and I can choose to flip the Amex points either to VS or BA. I’ve got enough nectar for my 2023 holiday flights but we’ll see how this August goes first.
Old Apr 2, 22, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
It seems that normal fares are gradually made available again. That seems to be the case with NCE, with the odd cancellation most days until Easter.
correction: the flights with "normal" prices are the LGW and LCY ones. LHR is still on full fare Y and J until Easter.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
45K miles spent, taxes / charges totalling just £62.37. Top value I say !
My last Avios redemption was a simple round trip from Canada to LHR. For two in CW the fees on top of the avios redeemed was $2534.78 From North America, the fees are eye wateringly high.

At the time, I could have bought a WT+ cash ticket for less than the fees on the Avios redemption
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
I think Covid has changed many people’s outlooks. In my own business we can’t recruit staff for love nor money and I know of many other businesses in the same boat. It’s hard to see how things are going to change unless the current cost of living crisis makes people realise that they need to work.

I’m not holding out much hope of an improvement over the summer to be honest. BA should have spent the last 2 years fixing what was wrong with their IT while they had the chance, with light loads and few bookings. I think they’ve spent so long avoiding the problem, that they daren’t begin to think about where to start and how much it’s going to cost
If BA had spent millions fixing IT at a time when they had almost no income, enormous outgoings, and a genuine fear for the future of their company, I think the City would have had serious questions to ask about the suitability of their directors. In an ideal world, absolutely, in the real world… not so much.

What sector are you in? I’m intrigued by the offer of ‘love and money’ - give me a bit of love and double my current salary and I’ll sign right away
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by James Russell View Post
why aren't you using them?
Because options to use them in the core school holiday periods (that I'm stuck with for a couple more years) are often limited - at least using them at a reasonable conversion rate. The plan was to gradually accumulate and then start to burn properly once the kids were gone.

That said, JTR does have a lot of redemption availability this summer so that's an option.
Old Apr 3, 22, 7:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Our Easter flights back to LGW have been booked on EZ. I have row 1 seats for flights on the days and times that I want for €200 each round trip. BA offer a mixture of LHR and LGW with sparse availability and at horrendously high prices, over €800 in CE for example. That together with the LHR arrival experience I had on March 11th arriving from SFO has pushed me away. I’ll also be avoiding LHR for the foreseeable future and my upcoming TATL flights are on TAP, not because I like them but because I don’t trust BA and LHR to get me there in comfort and on time. The problem I now have is with the unused FTV’s I have that I have no desire to use for BA, and up to now I have not been able to redeem for AA or IB ex-EU.
Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Apr 3, 22, 8:24 am

I hadn't flown Qatar for two years due to the pandemic - they converted my limited Qmiles to Avios and they said I had enough points for a first class flight to Doha. And that was a lot fewer points that you have. Certainly beats using BA avios for club europe to Malaga with worse leg room than on ryanair.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 22, 11:22 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
correction: the flights with "normal" prices are the LGW and LCY ones. LHR is still on full fare Y and J until Easter.
Any idea if they’ll bring back “normal” prices before Easter? Trying to fly out of LHR on Apr.12 and wondering if I should start to plan something else or wait until they come back

Search this Thread