Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Mar : [Another] BA Global IT outage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:55 am

Some things are a "cost" that need to be managed, and some things are an "investment" that also need to be managed. But if your primary focus is always "Do it the cheapest way possible" then your investment items will suffer, as we see here.

When the CEO's car needs an oil change, does the chauffeur take it Halfords or the BMW or Bentley dealer?

The longer the rebuilding of the IT is put off, the more it will cost, the more times it will go wrong, and the ongoing maintenance costs will increase. A bullet needs to be bitten sooner rather than later.
Sealink, skiaplg, T8191 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
On a positive note I have managed to change my return flight from an evening to an early one using the app. It was extremely easy. The irony is that I did it in case my evening flight is delayed or cancelled… I used to worry for these things with airlines such as Viva Air Colombia. Such a sad state I need to put BA on the same list!
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
... and more importantly, how is it going to be solved? It's becoming a complete farce. Being based in EDI, I don't have many options if I want to have status with an airline, but considering switching to SkyTeam.
Better change you home airport as Edinburgh Airport is already expecting queues and chaos over the summer as they are struggling to get staff. It appears all airports and airlines are struggling with recruitment as people see the airline industry in general as not a stable job.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by WHBM
Nobody to drive the bus (which BA has always laughingly called coaches, despite there being hardly any seats) ? Doesn't Sean Doyle have a driving licence ?
Bus drivers are supplied by LHR so that is not really a BA problem but I can understand the passengers not knowing that and just blame the airline.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SonTech
Bus drivers are supplied by LHR so that is not really a BA problem but I can understand the passengers not knowing that and just blame the airline.
Last time I was on a bus from the aircraft it was a BA bus with a BA driver, unless BA have outsourced that now. The buses that take you between the terminals for transfers are run by the airport.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
with regards to the buses used for ba to take passengers to and from their aircraft parked on remote stands I think they are all ba employees.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
They seem to be cancelling flights on Sunday as well now. I've now had both sectors on my LHR-MUC-LHR cancelled, so EUR1,000 comp + hotels for two pax on a ticket that cost EUR220 for two pax. Clearly not sustainable.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
They seem to be cancelling flights on Sunday as well now. I've now had both sectors on my LHR-MUC-LHR cancelled, so EUR1,000 comp + hotels for two pax on a ticket that cost EUR220 for two pax. Clearly not sustainable.
I had figured some of today's cancellations would be due to knock-on effects from IT failures, crew and equipment out of position and so on.

With cancellations stretching into the weekend, has there been any indication whether these are still consequences of the IT outage or a realisation that the capacity of the airport to process passengers and baggage isn't what it was, be that due to Covid absences, additional document checks or recruitment issues? Passenger volumes are probably growing now to levels that haven't been seen in two years, but my feeling is that current volumes would be considered fairly pedestrian in 2019.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by father_ted
I had figured some of today's cancellations would be due to knock-on effects from IT failures, crew and equipment out of position and so on.

With cancellations stretching into the weekend, has there been any indication whether these are still consequences of the IT outage or a realisation that the capacity of the airport to process passengers and baggage isn't what it was, be that due to Covid absences, additional document checks or recruitment issues? Passenger volumes are probably growing now to levels that haven't been seen in two years, but my feeling is that current volumes would be considered fairly pedestrian in 2019.
I suspect it's the latter as my return flight is still 48 hours away. For what it's worth, the cancellation code in Expertflyer is "OPEY" which I understand stands for operational + compensation payable.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:34 am

My GLA-LHR on Sunday cancelled. No other same-day options offered but have rebooked the following day.

I didn't receive a text so would advise those with travel over the coming days to keep an eye on their email and MMB.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On LHR-MRS, in addition to a number of cancellations until Sunday, they have zero'ed out inventory on all classes other than full fare Y or J until Easter.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NickB
On LHR-MRS, in addition to a number of cancellations until Sunday, they have zero'ed out inventory on all classes other than full fare Y or J until Easter.
Same for LHR-ZRH, LHR-GVA and LHR-EDI when I just checked, it looks like this might apply to all LHR shorthaul operations until Easter now, what a disaster...
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Lhr ams zeroed out aswell for couple weeks, except j class
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Just to add lhr ams was all ok a few hours ago
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:12 am

Better change you home airport as Edinburgh Airport is already expecting queues and chaos over the summer as they are struggling to get staff. It appears all airports and airlines are struggling with recruitment as people see the airline industry in general as not a stable job.
LOL happy days... can't really move!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.