Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5 Arrival Travelex ATM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
LHR Terminal 5 Arrival Travelex ATM

Just wanted to alert the non-UK community -- many of us haven't travelled through LHR terminal 5 in the past couple of years -- about a somewhat shocking currency exchange rate at the Travelex ATMs in the arrivals hall. It's the first set of ATMs that an arriving passenger comes through after crossing the UK border.

Anyhow, the realized exchange rate was about 1.5 USD to 1 GBP, a rate almost 20% worse than the actual exchange rate. Additionally, an access fee of 2.5% was levied. There were some on-screen messages during the transaction, but I still was shocked when I compared the actual exchange rate to what I got at any random high-street bureau de change.

It might be better to access the actual bank ATMs further along in the arrivals hall. Certainly would be better to exchange currency in town.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
This might be more useful in the Destinations forum rather than BA Exec Club.
revorgap likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
And this is pretty much the same for any non bank ATM at any airport...
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Never choose to accept the exchange on the ATM or on the credit card reader , always pay in the currency of the country you are in and let your bank do the exchange
MaxFlyer and wfiring12 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I could add a warning for regular UK bank card holders that these machines now also charge Ł5 per withdrawal. In the past I always used them to draw cash after arriving in the UK and there was no such charge. But its good to hear from above that there are other machines in the arrival hall.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:27 am

Travelex are horrendous for walk up exchanges.... always have been. If you pre-order however ahead of time for collection from one of their manned bureaus then their rates are much more in tune with reality.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I remember cash... I used to use it back in about 2015
revorgap, golfmad and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebg
I could add a warning for regular UK bank card holders that these machines now also charge Ł5 per withdrawal. In the past I always used them to draw cash after arriving in the UK and there was no such charge. But its good to hear from above that there are other machines in the arrival hall.
This is why I have a Charles Schwab Bank checking account strictly for travels as they do not charge to use an ATM and reimburse any fee charged by the ATM's bank.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Never choose to accept the exchange on the ATM or on the credit card reader , always pay in the currency of the country you are in and let your bank do the exchange
Very sound advice. When done by the credit card company it's called Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) and the cardholder will be fleeced.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Compared to FX booths at Italian airports, sounds like a good rate !! I think this is a well known problem around the world.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:44 am

Yes found that out last November when my wife used her US bank card - never again!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cayohueso
This is why I have a Charles Schwab Bank checking account strictly for travels as they do not charge to use an ATM and reimburse any fee charged by the ATM's bank.
Same, though they don't cover the DCC.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Not quite the same issue - but thoughts on any resolution?

I must have fat-fingered the Travelex ATM and ended up withdrawing USD. Thought I was getting charged basically par plus fee. Turns out they charged me 160 GBP to withdraw 160USD. Any recourse here or is Travelex going to tell me to stick it?

(This was T2 . . . not sure how I missed the real ATM . . . may be costly reminder why I avoid Travelex usually)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.