Wiki Posts
Search

Nut allergy again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Nut allergy again

We flew back from CPT to LHR last night on BA58 in CW and were surprised that the food arrived without a prior drinks service. On asking, the response was: "There's a passenger in Club World with a nut allergy. It's airborne. Therefore we couldn't do the drinks." This seems completely bizarre. Why can't a drinks run be done without the bag of nuts? Or is this enshrined in some customer service manual? In fact, it's a complete myth that there are airborne particles from peanuts or any other nut that can impact someone with a proven nut allergy, so BA's insistence on ceasing a drinks service (or, worse, the entire food service) is utter nonsense. The irony of their action is that they still served seed-encrusted bread to the passengers in CW, those same seeds potentially being just as allergenic to someone with a nut allergy if ingested.

Conclusions from studies in the last 10 years on nut dust are listed below:
• Close (12 inches) exposure to inhaling peanut butter aroma produced no reactions in severely peanut allergic people. Smelling peanuts may make concerned passengers uncomfortable, but there are no active proteins involved in breathing in the aroma of re-heated or pre-roasted nuts;
• Peanut particles (dust) could not be detected in the air from stomping on peanuts on the floor or from opening an airline-style bag;
• Peanut dust and peanut butter residues are both easily cleaned from hands and surfaces using soap and warm water or hand cleansers (but hand sanitizers and plain water do not work);
• Inhaling (thereby ingesting) a dose of an airborne allergen is very unlikely on an airplane because there is little “recirculation”, and commercial jets are required to frequently refresh the cabin air and subject it to HEPA filtration. There is no evidence to show that peanut or tree nut residue circulates in the air, as opposed to it quickly settling on surfaces.
nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

wow
That sounds bizarre. skipping a drinks run to a nut allergy in cw.

j would have thought that a drinks run without the nuts ( as the nuts come on a separate tray ) should have been possible.

Perhaps others with more experience with club world service standards can advise

Regards
tbs
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'd focus less on the nut/airborne particles aspect and more on why on earth someone having a nut allergy prevents you having a G&T (and perhaps some alternative offer of something to nibble on if available - e.g. pretzels)
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Postdoc
On asking, the response was: "There's a passenger in Club World with a nut allergy. It's airborne. Therefore we couldn't do the drinks."

The "BA Telling Porkies" thread should be made a sticky and comments like this added to it...
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:07 am

I would live a large Barvaarian warmed soft pretzel with Dijon mustard and Beer Cheddar Cheese warmed dip anyday with a good pint !
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
This is ....
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by danielonn
I would live a large Barvaarian warmed soft pretzel with Dijon mustard and Beer Cheddar Cheese warmed dip anyday with a good pint !
Why do you keep posting this?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by drwook
I'd focus less on the nut/airborne particles aspect and more on why on earth someone having a nut allergy prevents you having a G&T (and perhaps some alternative offer of something to nibble on if available - e.g. pretzels)
years ago, airlines in the US stopped giving peanuts due to allergies and began giving out bags of pretzels. On one flight when I was offered pretzels, I declined saying I was gluten intolerant (I am not) and asked for peanuts. The look on their face was a Kodak moment.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What a lazy crew, well actually the SCCM for making the decision.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:52 pm
formerly JackDann

Aha my favourite BA excuse for not providing service.

I can’t really see any way to defend this, it has to be sheer laziness. I wouldn’t want to make a scene. But i’d ask to speak to the SCCM on board and ask them to explain exactly why this was the case.

My previous stance would have been to file a complaint after my flight, but unfortunately after BA’s poor response to a previous very similar issue has resulted with me taking them to court, I would much rather find out more about the reasons on board and discuss it.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by JD1905; Mar 29, 2022 at 3:57 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:01 pm

I’m waiting to hear about targeted emails from BA corporate…

Dear loyal BA flyer,

It’s come to our attention that you are eligible for our exclusive group of Executive Club Nut Allergy passengers. We would like to extend this special offer of a 100% discount on each of your future flights, so long as you make it very clear in advance of your Nut Allergy.

Please be aware that you will not receive any onboard catering, but we will also provide you — and only you (please keep it a secret) — a voucher to buy whatever you like prior to embarking on each segment of to your journey.

We at BA are all about making our service more sustainable whilst maximising profits, and your participation in this select group will enable us to save quite a lot on every flight by eliminating service and still referring to ourselves as a “full service premium airline.” But we cannot accomplish this alone. We need to have you on board with us - and as many flights as possible*.

We look forward to greeting you aboard a nut-free, food-free and for some reason drink-free flight in the near future.

British Airways Nut Jobs

*Offer limited to one passenger or party of passengers per flight. That’s all the excuse we need.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
My wife is a peanut anaphylactic. We have had many overnight hospital stays due to peanuts.

The claim by Postdoc that opening peanut bags on an airplane can't cause someone to react to peanut oil is totally outside our experience.

We had someone bring peanut butter sandwiches into our home once in a paper bag, set in the corner 40 feet from my wife. She started reacting to something in her own home, and couldn't figure it out. 30 minutes later she was quite sick and distressed. The paper bag had never been opened. The person that brought the bag into our home profusely apologized, took the bag with the peanut butter sandwiches and left. My wife used her epi pen and then went to the hospital.

Please do not believe that peanuts can not be a problem on an airplane. They have been in our own experience!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 925
My wife is a peanut anaphylactic. We have had many overnight hospital stays due to peanuts.

The claim by Postdoc that opening peanut bags on an airplane can't cause someone to react to peanut oil is totally outside our experience.

<snip>

Please do not believe that peanuts can not be a problem on an airplane. They have been in our own experience!
But what about the rest of the drinks service? Presumably a glass of wine or G&T without the associated nuts isn’t going to be an issue?
redrose59 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mrow
But what about the rest of the drinks service? Presumably a glass of wine or G&T without the associated nuts isn’t going to be an issue?
of course they should have served drinks!
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by 925

We had someone bring peanut butter sandwiches into our home once in a paper bag, set in the corner 40 feet from my wife. She started reacting to something in her own home, and couldn't figure it out. 30 minutes later she was quite sick and distressed. The paper bag had never been opened. The person that brought the bag into our home profusely apologized, took the bag with the peanut butter sandwiches and left. My wife used her epi pen and then went to the hospital.

I am sorry for your wife, that must be stressful and distressing. Is there no prevention possible? I would really like to know., not bashing. It seems harsh but if such an experience can occur why would you risk getting on a plane/hotel, restaurant where nuts are quite possibly be present. And add to that the possible inconvenience that it would cause many many others,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.