Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A321neo for a five hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Have done this on 4hr+ flight to Greece, very uncomfortable. Avoid if you can.
I disagree. Did a Greece trip in CE recently and enjoyed it. Pretty good food and enough champagne to keep me happy.

Price and time wise much better option than messing around with a Doha transfer. No chance QR would be anywhere near the Ł400 mark either
TedToToe and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
We in the US do this all the time. 5 - 6+ hours transcon, west coast to Hawaii and even to South America from Texas and Miami. I guess the difference would be that we have better domestic first class seats than the Euro Business stuff used in Europe. While doing 3+ hours in say economy plus is doable but I've done 3+ hours from SCL - Punta Arenas on Sky Airlines and it was MISERABLE, and this was in one of their more legroom seats. It really depends on the seats the airlines are using in the aircraft that can make or break long flights in narrow body aircraft. If your feeling the metal frame bite into your butt and the back of your legs even 1 hour is going to be unbearable vs a seat with full bottom cushion.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: QF
Agree with checking RJ, their 787 is pretty good and service is decent but only if the transit is short.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
BA used to fly Dreamliners on this route. It‘s over 2000 miles but equipment and service has been downgraded from Club World to Club Europe. Despite the flight distance, only 80TP instead of the previous 140TP. I will not fly it any more. MS offers a direct long-haul product. RJ and QR have indirect long-haul service but not always immediate onward connections. BA Business fares did initially decrease after the service downgrade but recently have increased to near previous levels. I won‘t pay it. Especially not at current service standards.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
BA used to fly 744s on the route.

We used to fly F until the schedule made it unappealing and they downgraded the aircraft.

Frankly, I would fly QR, EK or EY. Don’t fly MS unless you’re interested in building character.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Doesn't Egypt Air fly on that route?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you are flying from elsewhere then yes, I'd definitely look into alternatives, but if your trip is in fact London-Cairo, I'd just go nonstop despite the dodgy plane comfort, as the shorter and nonstop journey is simply vastly more comfortable per se.
I think that taking detours , such as going to over double the distance like DOH and then back again is mad and would take a nonstop ; I cannot see much value in taking BA's Club Europe when MS is offering a proper business class, also non stop
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
We in the US do this all the time. 5 - 6+ hours transcon, west coast to Hawaii and even to South America from Texas and Miami. I guess the difference would be that we have better domestic first class seats than the Euro Business stuff used in Europe.
AA's standard Economy Class seat has 31" seat pitch; with elite status, Main Cabin Extra seats -- with extra leg room -- are free.
BA's short-haul Business Class seats have 30" seat pitch.

I'm six feet tall; for a five-hour flight, I'd sooner take an exit-row seat in BA Euro Traveler (short-haul Economy), than a seat in BA short-haul Business Class.

Royal Air Maroc via CMN is another oneworld option between LON and CAI.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by guv1976
AA's standard Economy Class seat has 31" seat pitch; with elite status, Main Cabin Extra seats -- with extra leg room -- are free.

I'm six feet tall; for a five-hour flight, I'd sooner take an exit-row seat in BA Euro Traveler (short-haul Economy), than a seat in BA short-haul Business Class.
So much of the "is it bearable" depends on how long your legs are. I've done 8 hours in a 787 in WT, never again; I hurt for days afterwards as I have long legs and there was no place to put them. The thought of 5 hours in a 30" pitch seat is a hard no for me. Looking at it from a North American perspective, the European business class is a joke, Air Canada's domestic economy has more legroom than Club Europe.
doubleA likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976

Royal Air Maroc via CMN is another oneworld option between LON and CAI.
What I don't get is why does BA and other EU carriers not make the front say 10 rows main cabin extra / economy plus ala American and United. With their movable curtains, they have the opportunity to make those seats Euro Business and if there are leftovers sell it as "World Traveler Extra" or something along those line. Having seen some of the old school pictures and adverts of TWA, Pan Am, American and United, "Euro Business" was something they had on their narrow and wide bodies before changing to the big recliners that we are used to today.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:46 pm

This is how it used to be pretty much, all seats that could be used as Club Europe had a 34" pitch. Any leftover rows that were in Economy weren't extra cost however, was just a bonus!
seat38a and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:12 am

What I don't get is why does BA and other EU carriers not make the front say 10 rows main cabin extra / economy plus ala American and United. With their movable curtains, they have the opportunity to make those seats Euro Business and if there are leftovers sell it as "World Traveler Extra" or something along those line. Having seen some of the old school pictures and adverts of TWA, Pan Am, American and United, "Euro Business" was something they had on their narrow and wide bodies before changing to the big recliners that we are used to today.
You could make the argument (of sorts) that they've already done that. The first rows recline.... anything further back doesn't. Welcome to British Airways.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The first 12 rows have a seat pitch that is at least 1 inch greater than the ‘economy’ section of this aircraft.
seat38a likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Mar 28, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Every inch counts

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The first 12 rows have a seat pitch that is at least 1 inch greater than the ‘economy’ section of this aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
actually as the op says it’s a 321 neo I think it’s even the first 18 rows? (12 is on the 320 Neo)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.