Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When will BA sort out the sorry state of CW?

When will BA sort out the sorry state of CW?

Old Mar 25, 22, 3:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Posts: 213
When will BA sort out the sorry state of CW?

Just back from a few US East and West Coast flights in Club.
It really is a very poor experience when compared to the marketing / what they used to offer / every other J airline.

The lowlights include:
- Wifi not working
- Very poor main meal options, all served on one tray, with overcooked beef and a yorkshire pudding wrapped in plastic
- Crew complaining about lack of staff
- Old Clud World seats - nearly 16 years old in design now? (from 2006)
- Bizarre sausage roll with crisps as a second meal (even the pies and salad on American are better)
- Club Kitchen that was bare with the exception of the £3 a bottle plonk and some sorry looking biscuits
- The crew making a tragic attempt to enforce an exit process by row number, like primary school teachers, when everyone has lost interest and it makes no sense given everyone is then in terminal together....

Please sort it out and put some investment back into CW to fix this... I get that BA is worse than Asian airlines, and now European ones, but to be worse than American / United is quite a fall from grace...
WingsAroundtheWorld is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:29 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 842
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld View Post
Just back from a few US East and West Coast flights in Club.
It really is a very poor experience when compared to the marketing / what they used to offer / every other J airline.

The lowlights include:
- Wifi not working
- Very poor main meal options, all served on one tray, with overcooked beef and a yorkshire pudding wrapped in plastic
- Crew complaining about lack of staff
- Old Clud World seats - nearly 16 years old in design now? (from 2006)
- Bizarre sausage roll with crisps as a second meal (even the pies and salad on American are better)
- Club Kitchen that was bare with the exception of the £3 a bottle plonk and some sorry looking biscuits
- The crew making a tragic attempt to enforce an exit process by row number, like primary school teachers, when everyone has lost interest and it makes no sense given everyone is then in terminal together....

Please sort it out and put some investment back into CW to fix this... I get that BA is worse than Asian airlines, and now European ones, but to be worse than American / United is quite a fall from grace...
Sadly this is standard BA (although they have obviously upgraded the old CW seats).
They will only get the message if people vote with their wallets (ive started flying TAP over BA from Portugal now), but its tricky to do given the monopoly they have in London.
But once you break the BA chains and you experience other airlines you will see that loyalty to BA brings little reward. Im not saying its all bad with BA, but there are better options.
And now you can spent your Avios on Qatar i can honestly see people leaving in droves, i cancelled my BA 2-4-1 LHR-SYD (which hard to get, and mega taxes) and am now flying Qatar (with the long leg in first) for LESS money/taxes (there were 3 of us wanted to fly), and incredible services/lounges to look forward to
AnttiV, Carfield, SxMan and 4 others like this.
babyg_wc is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:34 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,269
Oh no, not the "monopoly" myth again. Please.
13901 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:41 am
  #4  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,288
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Oh no, not the "monopoly" myth again. Please.
From Head for Points earlier this week (https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...landing-slots/). BA didn't buy these slots - but any other carrier wanting to get into LHR would have to buy slots :-

DYKWIA is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:48 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 16,321
Hi

To be fair to BA,

Club suites are being rolled out and this takes time so later this year all lhr 777s will have club suites ( although some prefer the current club world seat

The food service is due to improve later this year ( I think another factor may be a shortage of staff)

the quality of my main meal has been pretty good but overall the one tray at once is poor. Also the second meal is generally poor.
WiFi not working is unlucky and could happen at any time.

Lack of wine top ups during the meal is a little disaapointing but I find if everything is on one tray it is OK ( with multiple courses served one at a time then top ups are more beneficial.


Preordering of main meals should br brought back.
Club kitchen is poor at the moment



crew have been good ime.


cw service could be improved but
With connections from edi and the edi and heathrow lounges BA generally works for me as well as reasonable European destinations ( with other airlines I might have multiple low level ffps)

I have Required for ba gold for next year so may try another airline in the summer the problem with Emirates and Qatar are the sometimes poor connections in the middle East with overnight layovers.
Regards

Tbs
Dan72, redpalmetto and jky345 like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 25, 22 at 3:55 am
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,269
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
From Head for Points earlier this week (https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...landing-slots/). BA didn't buy these slots - but any other carrier wanting to get into LHR would have to buy slots :-
How can it be that with 51.16% of something one can be said to have a "monopoly"? Monopoly as in the classic definition of there being a single seller in the market?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on service, cleanliness, standards and so on... but the monopoly myth is the one bit that irks me, because it's just factually wrong. I'd even challenge the idea of a dominant position, especially compared with other airlines in their hubs, see this slide from IAG but based on OAG data:



Capital Markets Day (iairgroup.com)
13901 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 3:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: York
Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver,IHG Gold
Posts: 281
We Flew Jetblue yesterday (LGW>JFK) and were quite impressed with their offering and would definately use them again, my only concern with them from either LHR or LGW is if the plane goes tech etc, then one flight a day can cause problems. that aside we had a great crew, I liked the seat and the A321LR is a nice way to cross the atlantic. I have plenty of avios to use so I wil be back on BA at some point.
LBA_flyer is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 4:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 842
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Oh no, not the "monopoly" myth again. Please.
I was thinking the board game, what were you thinking? But yes technically not a monopoly but also not a level playing field..
Carfield likes this.
babyg_wc is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 4:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Posts: 6,777
Originally Posted by babyg_wc View Post
I was thinking the board game, what were you thinking? But yes technically not a monopoly but also not a level playing field..
Indeed. Monopoly no, huge competitive advantage without a doubt.

I have a CW redemption booked LHR-BOS, if VS had a similarly scheduled early flight as opposed to 4pm or whatever their earliest is, Iíd be swapping over quick smart (Club suite vs old upper class or not)
Cap'n Benj is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 5:01 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spitalfields, London
Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by babyg_wc View Post
I was thinking the board game, what were you thinking? But yes technically not a monopoly but also not a level playing field..
That's what I was going to say. I'd rather have a smaller slice of a massive pie than a massive slice of a tiny pie.
choosethedrew is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 5:12 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 483
It was interesting comparing some recent LH trip reports to the standard on BA. Incredible difference in the F&B offering.

That said it looks like there's been a genuine improvement in CE which hopefully will filter through to CW before too long.
Never Stansted is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 6:06 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,967
Originally Posted by babyg_wc View Post
And now you can spent your Avios on Qatar i can honestly see people leaving in droves
I donít. Believe it or not, most people prefer direct flights. I donít want a 2am stop in the desert, and will readily accept a lower quality product to achieve it. Sure, some leisure pax will, and thatís clearly what QR want, but it wonít be the majority, not at all.
Confus is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 6:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London. Edinburgh, Cornwall
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Posts: 7,661
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld View Post
The lowlights include:
- Wifi not working
- Very poor main meal options, all served on one tray, with overcooked beef and a yorkshire pudding wrapped in plastic
- Crew complaining about lack of staff
- Old Clud World seats - nearly 16 years old in design now? (from 2006)
- Bizarre sausage roll with crisps as a second meal (even the pies and salad on American are better)
- Club Kitchen that was bare with the exception of the £3 a bottle plonk and some sorry looking biscuits
- The crew making a tragic attempt to enforce an exit process by row number, like primary school teachers, when everyone has lost interest and it makes no sense given everyone is then in terminal together....
I had all of the above the other day, plus broken IFE at my seat; was given a choice of one of us moving to a middle seat in the rear CW cabin that did have working IFE or sucking it up.

Confess that I did quite like the sausage roll thingy, but yeah ... weird.
ajamieson is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 6:18 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Posts: 1,488
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
I donít. Believe it or not, most people prefer direct flights. I donít want a 2am stop in the desert, and will readily accept a lower quality product to achieve it. Sure, some leisure pax will, and thatís clearly what QR want, but it wonít be the majority, not at all.
Totally agree with the direct flights but itís not a 2am Stop in a dessert. Itís usually an impeccable J experience with dine on demand, a very good seat if not excellent ( Qsuites) and very good service compare to sausages as light meals or old CW seats.
ermis177 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 22, 7:15 am
  #15  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,288
Originally Posted by ermis177 View Post
Totally agree with the direct flights but itís not a 2am Stop in a dessert. Itís usually an impeccable J experience with dine on demand, a very good seat if not excellent ( Qsuites) and very good service compare to sausages as light meals or old CW seats.
Indeed - eastbound it's normally around 20:00 UK time. Followed by a 22:00 onward overnight flight. Perfect for sleeping (unless you're a weirdo that goes to sleep for the full 14 hours on an eastbound flight).

But... you don't get sausage roll and crisps.
DYKWIA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread