Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Query on Mixed Carrier (BA & AA) Covid Testing Rules for USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone!
First time post here - I hope to contribute more in the future but for now I have a question.
I'm flying to BOS on an EX-EU itinerary starting in BSL. The BSL -> LHR leg is on Sunday (BA755) and I'm flying the day after on the AA109 to BOS. Everything is on one PNR and it's a stopover as it's less than 24 hours. I'll be going to BSL on the morning of the Sunday (returning to LHR in the evening), and I wanted to check whether it would be ok to do the Covid test for entry into the US on the Saturday evening in London. This would be two days before the LHR -> BOS leg, but one day before the first leg of the itinerary (BSL -> LHR).
I understand by the CDC Website - that the test has to be one day before the first leg of the journey, so in theory, this should be fine, as it's one day before the BSL -> LHR...

But if the itinerary originates in Basel, then would a London test from the day before (Saturday) be sufficient, or would it have to be a Basel-based test?

Would love to hear from those who have done similar EX-EU itineraries.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Test needs to be on the day or day before travel to USA

So if flying to USA on Tuesday for example, anytime on Monday or Tuesday is fine. The Europe point is not relevant.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk

From CDC website:

What You Need to Know
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight

Last edited by mikeyfly; Mar 23, 2022 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Reading the CDC website section about connecting flights there is no mention of where the test has to be taken, just has to be the day before or day of flight.
So to answer your question you will be fine as long as you couldn't get to LHR for your flight to the US that day ie if there are no early conntections available.

If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

You also have the option of getting tested en route during one of your connections. However, you should consider where in the connecting airport testing is available and if you would be able to access it while in transit. If you choose this strategy and are unable to get a test en route, you will not be able to board your flight to the United States. You should also be aware that if you test positive en route, you will not be allowed to continue your travel and may need to stay at that location until you end isolation.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Not quite sure what to do about this particular situation though - getting mixed responses here...

CDC says:"If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

You also have the option of getting tested en route during one of your connections. However, you should consider where in the connecting airport testing is available and if you would be able to access it while in transit. If you choose this strategy and are unable to get a test en route, you will not be able to board your flight to the United States. You should also be aware that if you test positive en route, you will not be allowed to continue your travel and may need to stay at that location until you end isolation.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability."
But technically there was no other available flight to BOS from LHR, so I'm travelling in the morning - but then again, I got my test in London, not in Basel...
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There seems to be several AA coded flights on Monday so availability wouldn't seem to be a reason ; given that the flight departs at 10:15 and a RAT can be performed and results received within 30 minutes, wouldn't getting it done in morning of flight be the easy option anyway?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:12 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by CeciliaXt3
Not quite sure what to do about this particular situation though - getting mixed responses here...

CDC says:"If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability."

You raise an interesting point. We have some wonderful experts here.

But technically there was no other available flight to BOS from LHR, so I'm travelling in the morning - but then again, I got my test in London, not in Basel...
Boys, I have an itinerary that goes - and I'll do it in days

NTE - MAD Tuesday evening
MAD - LHR Wednesday evening
LHR - ORD Thursday evening.

Given what Cecilia says - when do I need to get the Covid test done?- this is not until May so everything might have changed by then - Tuesday in France given that the first flight to the USA is Wednesday and it is BA to LHR and AA to ORD the following day so presumably I can be checked in at MAD for the whole flight - I might add that this is on the last flight of the day to LHR. Might they not ask for my Covid test on check-in

After the next mask mandate comes around this might well have changed as I say - I then have to find a place to do an Antigen test in Madrid. If I can do it in France I'll go to my lovely chemist M. Bordier.

If this is not strictly BA - Mods please move.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There seems to be several AA coded flights on Monday so availability wouldn't seem to be a reason ; given that the flight departs at 10:15 and a RAT can be performed and results received within 30 minutes, wouldn't getting it done in morning of flight be the easy option anyway?
So if she leaves at 10.15 - it means that she has to have had the test early to be at the airport in time. I have heard stories of people with appointments having to wait as they take people without appointments as well. I'd sooner do mine before. You daren't even have a cup of tea before then as I have heard of tests being invalid after that. This may be anecdotal but they do ask you.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have just done BGI-MIA-LHR on BA/AA. I got a test the day before for the US entry. Mine was simpler than the OP’s but I read that the US requires a test the day before you enter so the OP would have to get a test in BSL. It can be a cheap rapid antigen test rather than a PCR so I would imagine would be easy to get.

AA and BA use Verifly and that is all I was asked for as far as testing goes. They don’t ask at immigration or otherwise. I guess you could get a test and see if Verifly will give you a pass but you may be paying twice. If it were up to me I’d take one in BSL.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So if she leaves at 10.15 - it means that she has to have had the test early to be at the airport in time. I have heard stories of people with appointments having to wait as they take people without appointments as well. I'd sooner do mine before. You daren't even have a cup of tea before then as I have heard of tests being invalid after that. This may be anecdotal but they do ask you.
Ok - or could have taken 30 mins extra on arrival into London before leaving airport ; BA755 arrived at 19:30
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Boys, I have an itinerary that goes - and I'll do it in days

NTE - MAD Tuesday evening
MAD - LHR Wednesday evening
LHR - ORD Thursday evening.

Given what Cecilia says - when do I need to get the Covid test done?- this is not until May so everything might have changed by then - Tuesday in France given that the first flight to the USA is Wednesday and it is BA to LHR and AA to ORD the following day so presumably I can be checked in at MAD for the whole flight - I might add that this is on the last flight of the day to LHR. Might they not ask for my Covid test on check-in

After the next mask mandate comes around this might well have changed as I say - I then have to find a place to do an Antigen test in Madrid. If I can do it in France I'll go to my lovely chemist M. Bordier.

If this is not strictly BA - Mods please move.
Rumour has it that the US is dropping testing from mid April. I’d wait and see.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ok - or could have taken 30 mins extra on arrival into London before leaving airport ; BA755 arrived at 19:30
Randox do tests from 7am - 10pm. The rapid antigen is £35 and the results are done in an hour.

They’re the ones I’ve used but others are available. I’d imagine the others scattered around Heathrow will do a similar service.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Rumour has it that the US is dropping testing from mid April. I’d wait and see.
You are quite right. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
ExpressTest on the departures (T5) level usually have results in 40 or so minutes.
https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a...activeFilter=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.