Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Lounge at JFK. Access denied with AA Emerald

Old Mar 20, 22, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Hello - I posted this on TPG, but this seems like a very directed thread for this topic - I have Oneworld Emerald as a Platinum Pro with American Airlines. I recently was flying business on Iberia and checked in with the BA lounge desk and and went to the British Airways First Lounge at JFK. I was told 5 minutes later that I did not belong in that lounge and was asked to move to the larger business lounge. I thought that flying any class on a OneWorld partner allowed access to any First/Business/VIP lounge available? Has anyone had any issues at JFK (or anywhere else) like this. Trying to figure out why they felt to change the OW admission policy?
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 20, 22, 3:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk. As a Platinum Pro card holder you certainly met the entry criteria. My only guess is the lounge team either misread or misinterpreted the admission policy check sheet.
Old Mar 20, 22, 4:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I add my welcome to Flyertalk too.

We do see reports of BA lounges in the USA declining entry to those flying AS or AA - and indeed flying AS from T7. Happily there is an AS lounge alternative in T7 more likely to be open at the time of AS' flights. However this was for Iberia and I am sure a BA Gold going to MAD would be admitted, indeed steered away from the Club lounge. My best guess is that the agent was perhaps for the ExPlat card perhaps, as evidence of Emerald status. I'm aware Emerald on AA was widened some years ago, but that's the best I can suggest.
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 20, 22, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC
From the BA website:

The First lounges are available for passengers who are:
  • flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First
  • a Gold Member of the British Airways Executive Club on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
  • an Emerald member of any of the oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes on a scheduled flight operated by British Airways or one of our oneworld partners
so, they obviously made a mistake…
Spanish, wrp96 and LilZeppelin like this.
Old Mar 20, 22, 7:19 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
EDIT: lol please disregard. they're all relocating to T8 eventually :P
Old Mar 20, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Wow, that is so unprofessional to remove you from the lounge after you were granted access! You obviously met criteria, but if you didn’t, they should’ve just eaten it. That’s terribly unfortunate that happened to you,
Old Mar 20, 22, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold
Do I remember correctly that Plat Pro was originally OneWorld Sapphire? What are the odds that BA never gave its contractors new entry lists?
Old Mar 20, 22, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Do I remember correctly that Plat Pro was originally OneWorld Sapphire? What are the odds that BA never gave its contractors new entry lists?
I was thinking this too...but you'd think the BA boarding pass would correctly reflect Emerald status, no? I haven't flown BA with elite status from another OW carrier to try...
Old Mar 20, 22, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I was thinking this too...but you'd think the BA boarding pass would correctly reflect Emerald status, no? I haven't flown BA with elite status from another OW carrier to try...
it wouldn’t be a ba boarding pass as the op was flying ib.
SxMan and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sounds like a mistake. I checked into the Flagship lounge in Miami as an Emerald and was sent to the Admirals Club only for the lounge agent to realise they had made a mistake and redirect me the other way.
Old Mar 21, 22, 5:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, BAEC Silver, TK Elite, SQ Gold
A fair number of airline boarding passes get partner carriers status wrong. For years in JFK the LA boarding passes showed BA Gold with the correct number as OW Ruby. Showing a proper card, or even a digital one with the Emerald logo, was sufficient to go into what then was the equivalent of T8 First Lounge (AA Flagship). A bit later, they opened it up to basically everyone, so it didn’t make a difference, but I’m just pointing out that partner airlines often get the OW status totally wrong (changing Emerald to Ruby in that case).
Old Mar 21, 22, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Schultzois View Post
A fair number of airline boarding passes get partner carriers status wrong. For years in JFK the LA boarding passes showed BA Gold with the correct number as OW Ruby. Showing a proper card, or even a digital one with the Emerald logo, was sufficient to go into what then was the equivalent of T8 First Lounge (AA Flagship). A bit later, they opened it up to basically everyone, so it didn’t make a difference, but I’m just pointing out that partner airlines often get the OW status totally wrong (changing Emerald to Ruby in that case).
AA often used to pick up BA Gold (Emerald) as AA Gold (Ruby). Haven't experienced that personally, but know of people that have, though not in quite a while.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Platinum, BAEC Silver, TK Elite, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan View Post
AA often used to pick up BA Gold (Emerald) as AA Gold (Ruby). Haven't experienced that personally, but know of people that have, though not in quite a while.
In my case it was LAN, but they were using AA check-in area to JFK, so probably the same systems as AA used. It was a few years ago, and LATAM is with Delta/SkyTeam now, but mostly just to say that a glitch in recognising the card happened pretty often. First time, I thought it was just unusual. Second time, there’s a problem. Third time, I could see it was systemic, and at that time, no one seemed to care.
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was also met with challenges getting into the Lounge at all when I flew Alaska end of Feb. I was told to go to the Alaska, I told them I was OWE. They said that they couldn't scan my boarding pass on my phone, so I got a physical, only then did they call to get advice on whether I was allowed in. I remained calm, they however had an attitude. Their last ditch question on the phone did make me smile, "Even the F lounge?".

I think they have new hires at the front who haven't been trained properly. Hopefully they remain in place and familiarise themselves with the different FFPs and access rights.
Old Mar 21, 22, 2:28 pm

I had a similar experience with AA Platinum Pro; the agent did let me in but acted like she was doing me a favor. But then again, I've had similar experiences even on AA. I don't think ground agents know any programs well including their own.

Search this Thread