Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please

Missed connection at JFK, real time request help please

Old Mar 19, 22, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Interesting advice, curious to know the outcome..
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:08 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I see that it has been resolved already but it's worth pointing out that the correct advice was, take a breath and relax and the rebooking will most likely be completed by the time you arrive at JFK (though I am surprised at the lack of help at RDU gate-- the agents at the RDU AC would not have responded that way).

In the old days, there would be a OneWorld rep waiting at the arrival gate with new boarding cards. Now obviously it can be handled through the app. Regardless, the advice that "not everything needs to be handled asap" is true. Those flights that were zeroed out "completely full" were zeroed because the system knew there were misconnects coming.
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I just looked to see if I could book him a short stay at the TWA hotel, it had 2:30pm as the earliest possible check in time (out for 6:30pm)
Getting landside, gettting his bags, getting to the hotel, feeling awful when he woke after such a short sleep and then heading back for a 7:25 departure going through security…. That would break him! He should sleep through the flight back. At least he won’t have to move to let anyone past him in his middle G seat.
LOL...this would break me too!

There is NO WAY I'd go through any of that, not even for overnight delays. Recently, I had a redeye cancelled for mechanical issues (the Captain was a no show, so they couldn't even blame it on weather), and we were all issued meal and hotel vouchers. By the time everything was sorted out, it was past midnight and I refused the hotel voucher opting just to stay in the airport for my 7 am departure--there is no way I'm taking a shuttle to a hotel (unless it's Ritz or something), check in, and then wake up at the crack of dawn making my way back to the airport. I still comically recall the airline rep suggesting, "oh, you can use your meal voucher ($12 - $14) when the restaurants open at around 4:30 am."

If it were me, I'd just stay in T8, take a nap, get some coffee & snacks, and not take any further risk of missing the return flight.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
I see that it has been resolved already but it's worth pointing out that the correct advice was, take a breath and relax and the rebooking will most likely be completed by the time you arrive at JFK (though I am surprised at the lack of help at RDU gate-- the agents at the RDU AC would not have responded that way).

In the old days, there would be a OneWorld rep waiting at the arrival gate with new boarding cards. Now obviously it can be handled through the app. Regardless, the advice that "not everything needs to be handled asap" is true. Those flights that were zeroed out "completely full" were zeroed because the system knew there were misconnects coming.
turned out as you expected this time

The experience from LHR-PHL-RDU which ended up being LHR-PHL-GSO (and then via Lyft to Raleigh* with no assistance from AA nor the option of overnighting at PHL for a morning RDU flight which were apparently full anyway) has left us with no faith that the system would work things out for us.

* with several ordered rides turning up and refusing to make the trip - REALLY unpleasant so late at night and after such a long journey.
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I just looked to see if I could book him a short stay at the TWA hotel, it had 2:30pm as the earliest possible check in time (out for 6:30pm)
Getting landside, gettting his bags, getting to the hotel, feeling awful when he woke after such a short sleep and then heading back for a 7:25 departure going through security…. That would break him! He should sleep through the flight back. At least he won’t have to move to let anyone past him in his middle G seat.
This isn’t something I would normally suggest but given the lonnnnng connection, purchasing an Admirals Club day pass might be worth considering. The C42 club has or had showers the last time I visited (worth asking about before committing $$) and there are some comfortable arm chairs plus complementary snacks, although no decent substitute for a full meal. The fee is $59 and should be good for multiple entries during the day
Old Mar 19, 22, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Silver, TK M&S Nobody
Just to point out also that if he was away on business it should be 100% on his employer for extra costs and/or travel insurance claims - literally should be the "price of doing business".
Old Mar 19, 22, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene View Post
Just to point out also that if he was away on business it should be 100% on his employer for extra costs and/or travel insurance claims - literally should be the "price of doing business".
He’s freelance, his clients pay for tickets, hotels, per diems and he charges “travel days”, but that’s it. It’s not a “business trip” in the way you might be thinking it is.
It’s the only time I’ve known for him to be brought over with some kind of premium ticket, usually he’s in the cheapest economy class. Has been the most expensive flights with the most uncomfortable and inconvenient journey.

—-
Will let him know about the Admirals Club, Prospero I don’t think he’ll bite though. I have an unexplained, slightly fetishistic, keen interest and enjoyment for airports and flying, MrLapLap feels the inverse of this… intensely. He approaches every trip with the enthusiasm of Marvin the Paranoid Android and I flit around like Tinkerbell doing my best to sprinkle damage or minor-trauma limitation dust on the itinerary.
Am actually feeling really guilty as I didn’t wade in and get involved with the planning on this occasion, with his Far East trips I’ve always swooped in and vetoed certain transfers and connection times.
A simmering sense of suppressed aggravation waiting for the next disappointment is his default setting, he’s oddly comfortable when he’s uncomfortable. As long as things don’t descend into crisis and he’s had something to eat, that’s all I can wish for him.
I try not to travel with him.
stephenjc likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Mar 19, 22 at 9:20 am
Old Mar 19, 22, 9:15 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
LOL...this would break me too!

There is NO WAY I'd go through any of that, not even for overnight delays. Recently, I had a redeye cancelled for mechanical issues (the Captain was a no show, so they couldn't even blame it on weather), and we were all issued meal and hotel vouchers. By the time everything was sorted out, it was past midnight and I refused the hotel voucher opting just to stay in the airport for my 7 am departure--there is no way I'm taking a shuttle to a hotel (unless it's Ritz or something), check in, and then wake up at the crack of dawn making my way back to the airport. I still comically recall the airline rep suggesting, "oh, you can use your meal voucher ($12 - $14) when the restaurants open at around 4:30 am."

If it were me, I'd just stay in T8, take a nap, get some coffee & snacks, and not take any further risk of missing the return flight.
Different strokes for sure. I would prefer a proper bed, even for a few hours. A few hours is about as long as I like to hang out in an airport lounge much less the terminal.

I understand the TWA hotel hours didn't work and the shuttle experience at JFK can be a pain.......but I would laying in a hotel bed right now.
LapLap and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
He’s touched down and has just sent me an electronic msg from AA/RepAir inviting him to confirm a seat on AA100 departing at 7:25pm.

Great!

hopefully that will go through.

next steps much clearer now thanks to all of you 👍👍👍
AA booking him on AA metal also solves the issue of Sabre/Amadeus as it is all on their system
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 9:40 am

bolding mine

I do hope so, but as this scenario was exactly the opposite of what happened when he arrived at PHL on the 13th, we aren’t holding our breath.
When he arrived was he on BA or AA metal?

AA metal to AA metal or BA to BA will go infinitely better then when they cross streams
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The showers in the Admirals Clubs are currently closed.

As to getting a day room, there would be no need to collect his bags to go to a day room. Just leave and come back, leaving his bags checked in. Something to think about.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
When he arrived was he on BA or AA metal?

AA metal to AA metal or BA to BA will go infinitely better then when they cross streams
Arrived to US (PHL) on delayed BA metal with a connection to RepAir operating as AA. All on a BA issued ticket.
As the arrival was delayed he was compelled to peg it from Terminal A to Terminal 2 for the inevitable waving-goodbye-to the-flight ceremony. In T2 there was no access to BA staff, AA said they wouldn’t put him up in a hotel and the next flights out to RDU were full. Only option on the table was the last flight to GSO and he’d have to wing it from there - he legged it and just made that flight. No airline representation whatsoever on arrival at GSO. He got a Lyft (eventually) and his luggage arrived at GSO the next evening. Logging in to the online baggage tracking facility there was the information that it was ready to be collected at the Baggage claim office. MrLapLap’s clients used the “wheresmysuitcase” service to reunite him with it.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
AA booking him on AA metal also solves the issue of Sabre/Amadeus as it is all on their system
Thanks.
I have found his next flight online in the AA website (PNR is different).

No sign of it at all on the BA or Qantas website.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question for the forum:

There used to be direct London to Raleigh flights but these were dropped ‘cos Covid

I was personally surprised when the via PHL and JFK flights were booked for MrLapLap as I had thought he would be connecting through CLT (then figured perhaps it was too close to have regular RDU flights)

Are the PHL and JFK connections unusual? There is no way I’d choose them myself (and certainly not now) but these obviously came out as legitimate routes. LHR-RDU can’t be that rare, what are others using to make this journey? Surely everyone else isn’t going through this kind of pain.
Old Mar 19, 22, 10:38 am

Arrived to US (PHL) on delayed BA metal with a connection to RepAir operating as AA. All on a BA issued ticket.
As the arrival was delayed he was compelled to peg it from Terminal A to Terminal 2 for the inevitable waving-goodbye-to the-flight ceremony. In T2 there was no access to BA staff, AA said they wouldn’t put him up in a hotel and the next flights out to RDU were full. Only option on the table was the last flight to GSO and he’d have to wing it from there - he legged it and just made that flight. No airline representation whatsoever on arrival at GSO. He got a Lyft (eventually) and his luggage arrived at GSO the next evening. Logging in to the online baggage tracking facility there was the information that it was ready to be collected at the Baggage claim office. MrLapLap’s clients used the “wheresmysuitcase” service to reunite him with it.
As I was eluding too - AA was late and rebooked him on AA and he had the message when he landed

That is a much different scenario than BA bringing him in late and being responsible for rebooking but not having adequate staff who give 2 ..... to get him rebooked etc - they may have rebooked him, but it never made the cross between amadeus and sabre too

You asked about LHR-RDU direct - there was also LHR-CHS and LHR-MSY that was also stopped due to covid

JFK and PHL connections are pretty much all the time, but they are cheaper as there is a TON of competition - flights to CLT are more expensive due to less competition - but if he flew to CLT - he could rent a car and rive to RDU easily
beachmouse likes this.

Search this Thread