Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

BA to Cairo

Anyone know if BA starve you in Y to Cairo? Nearly a 5hr flight? I’m guessing they don’t have a free meal?

Is Egypt air better ?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by SA100
Anyone know if BA starve you in Y to Cairo? Nearly a 5hr flight? I’m guessing they don’t have a free meal?

Is Egypt air better ?
CAI is now a designated a Euro Traveller service in Y which means Speedbird Cafe is available to pre-order for anything more substantial than a mini bottle of water and a packet of crisps which will be the only things available on board without charge. You'll be able to purchase a limited range of other food and beverages on board with credit or debit card (no cash). Alternatively you'll need to purchase in the airport before boarding. This is really pushing the envelope over what's reasonable IMO however BA's official line is this a what the customer wants on this route 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:51 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Worth considering:

1. MS - widebody aircraft with good seat pitch, IFE, meal (please check what they serve now, pre-COVID it was substantial hot meal), unlimited soft drinks
2.TK - widebody LHR-IST, IFE on both segments, good meals (pre-COVID standards reinstated), soft drinks, booze
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks both, looks like MS or TK. Potential for a stopover in TK with some 25hr stops. Trying to use up avios but BA offering is truly awful for Cairo for the price.

looking to go in Nov when the new great Egyptian museum finally hopefully opens.

Shame easyJet does not fly to Cairo it’s what BA are offering. Can’t see the point of paying J for a Y seat with no recline or IFE. For FIVE HOURS!! Another 90mins you would be in the Middle East.

they really should fit out some a321’s with World club like JetBlue style for Moscow, Athens, Cairo

BA use to charter Concorde on day trips to the pyramids. What a day and experience that must have being. All gone a bit down hill.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
CAI is now a designated a Euro Traveller service in Y which means Speedbird Cafe is available to pre-order for anything more substantial than a mini bottle of water and a packet of crisps which will be the only things available on board without charge. You'll be able to purchase a limited range of other food and beverages on board with credit or debit card (no cash). Alternatively you'll need to purchase in the airport before boarding. This is really pushing the envelope over what's reasonable IMO however BA's official line is this a what the customer wants on this route 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’d love to be a fly on the BA conference room window when they discussed making this EUROTRAVLER. The accounts Dept running this route….
bafan and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I’d love to be a fly on the BA conference room window when they discussed making this EUROTRAVLER. The accounts Dept running this route….
way back when i used to trave to Cairo it was the first time I had the "double decker" meal tray in Y
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It was only pre-pandemic I think when BA used to fly this route with a B789 with a high possibility of being FLUBed on the way back.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
The only time I flew this route it was in a 707. I remember cutlery that was stamped BOAC so there must have been a meal.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Have BA really said it's shorthaul service because that's what people want? I thought it was more a case of shortage of widebodies and business. Pre-pandemic it was a widebody in the Summer and narrow body for winter. In fairness to BA, it's what most european carriers offer (LH, OS, LX and AZ).

I think AF are the exception, so they may be worth a look. But the flight time is typically closer to four hours and one way tickets from CAI on BA, can often be had for less than 100 GBP. Take whatever suits, but I'd still be incined to go for a non-stop over a connecting flight that might nearly double the journey time. I have had to use Egyptair for some odd destinations and find them not too bad.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:10 pm

Last time I flew this route it was a B747. After a month in Saudi I wanted a bacon sandwich CAI-LHR. No chance.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
Last time I flew this route it was a B747. After a month in Saudi I wanted a bacon sandwich CAI-LHR. No chance.
airline bacon is always terrible warmed in a steam oven!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

airline bacon is always terrible warmed in a steam oven!
Still better than Saudi beef bacon
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:22 pm

From a commercial perspective as there is no longer a sub-fleet of A321s configured with a longhaul product which were too expensive to maintain with only 3 in the fleet, there really isn't a suitable aircraft for the demands of BAs old midhaul network such as CAI/AMM where customer profile is predominantly UK/Europe originating/ terminating VFR/ leisure so price sensitive; and the cargo demand is low, so cannot justify using up a 787 (which carries similar customers as a A321 shorthaul config). Given that, BA has now classed it as shorthaul, and the prices reflect that as they are often lower than the direct competitors on the route like for like (e.g. MS/ RJ). Looking at like for like dates in Sept BA is a third cheaper than MS on LHR-CAI.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Thanks both, looks like MS or TK. Potential for a stopover in TK with some 25hr stops. Trying to use up avios but BA offering is truly awful for Cairo for the price.
If you're talking avios for business class, RJ via AMM might be worth a look.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Have BA really said it's shorthaul service because that's what people want? I thought it was more a case of shortage of widebodies and business. Pre-pandemic it was a widebody in the Summer and narrow body for winter. In fairness to BA, it's what most european carriers offer (LH, OS, LX and AZ).

I think AF are the exception, so they may be worth a look. But the flight time is typically closer to four hours and one way tickets from CAI on BA, can often be had for less than 100 GBP. Take whatever suits, but I'd still be incined to go for a non-stop over a connecting flight that might nearly double the journey time. I have had to use Egyptair for some odd destinations and find them not too bad.
LH, IS, LX and AZ may be using shorthaul aircraft to CAI but they haven’t switched to BOB on this route unlike BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.