Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers

Flew LHR-ATH on Club Europe. At the gate, 1 pax from Club Europe and 6 pax from economy were denied boarding because they refused to wear a mask, citing their own version of the fake "masking is optional', although BA was handing free masks out. They still would not wear one.

Very good move on BA for throwing these unruly passengers out. BA should add these types of flyers to the no-fly list and fine them, similar to how its handled in the US.

First thing that came to my mind were the threads that were posted here in the recent days of the sheeps here praising the 'no masks needed/masks are optional'. Folks here acting as if you have not learned a single thing from the past 2 years. Masking isnt going away anytime soon, don't be selfish and do your part of masking. or feel free to go take a ferry/bus to your final destination. No sympathy for these types of travelers at all, thinking they can board the airport and the plane without a mask. Delirious.

Last edited by Gertjaars; Mar 18, 2022 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Mmmm.... popcorn!

Also, Club World on SH?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Saladman
Mmmm.... popcorn!
Quite. I'm no idiot, but I've had enough of wearing a bloody mask. How long do people want this to go on for? Forever? COVID will never vanish.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I don't understand why some have such a militant attitude to mask-wearing (pro and anti). When given the choice I prefer not to wear one, but if I am asked (or required) to wear one then I do so without hesitation, conflict or challenge. It's a mask, it may feel a little uncomfortable at times but it's not going to kill me, it's not going to change my political views, it's simply a minor inconvenience that allows me to enjoy more freedoms in this covid age.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
Interesting to see this. I buy FFP3 masks for planes 'to do my bit'. I don't find them uncomfortable at all, but I was accustomed to (surgical) masks prior to Covid 19 anyway
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
An incident that almost certainty wouldn't have happened had BA not put out an announcement then backtracked on it without saying anything.
Jitesh1, MaxFlyer, paulaf and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If they had refused point blank to wear a mask, then that's down to them. Those are the rules for that particular flight, you either obey or don't travel. Especially since once on board, any enforcement is likely to be minimal.

Any discussion about whether masks are useful or not is completely secondary and irrelevant. The point is that they refused to comply with the directions.

Was one of them a QC per chance?
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:50 am

Very shocked this behaviour is happening and you had to experience this. It must be very difficult for BA crews to handle that sort of Karens.

Last edited by mrpacifist; Mar 18, 2022 at 4:58 am Reason: Mispelling
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
An incident that almost certainty wouldn't have happened had BA not put out an announcement then backtracked on it without saying anything.
It's not clear when the even reported in the OP occurred. BA has in fact changed its mask policy (see below). It appears the new policy was followed for the ATH flight mentioned in the OP:

BA Mask Policy:

"... as an international airline flying all around the world, we are obliged to ensure our customers continue to comply with local restrictions and meet the requirements of the destination they arrive at.

Therefore, we ask you to check the requirements of the destination you’re flying to before departing for the airport, as:
  • If you are travelling on our flights, you will be required to wear a mask on board if the destination you are flying to or from requires you to
  • If you are travelling on our flights, you will be required to wear a mask to disembark the aircraft, and at your arrival airport, if the destination you are flying to requires it
Where we are unsure or have not been able to clarify the local restrictions, we will still require you to wear face coverings, and we ask that you continue to carry masks with you for the duration of your journey.

For destinations where we have established that the wearing of a face covering is not mandated, you are able to make a personal choice and we kindly request everyone respects each other’s preferences."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...e-onboard-faqs
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Flew LHR-ATH on Club Europe. At the gate, 1 pax from Club Europe and 6 pax from economy were denied boarding because they refused to wear a mask, citing their own version of the fake "masking is optional', although BA was handing free masks out. They still would not wear one.

Very good move on BA for throwing these unruly passengers out. BA should add these types of flyers to the no-fly list and fine them, similar to how its handled in the US.

First thing that came to my mind were the threads that were posted here in the recent days of the sheeps here praising the 'no masks needed/masks are optional'. Folks here acting as if you have not learned a single thing from the past 2 years. Masking isnt going away anytime soon, don't be selfish and do your part of masking. or feel free to go take a ferry/bus to your final destination. No sympathy for these types of travelers at all, thinking they can board the airport and the plane without a mask. Delirious.
This post (again littered with insults) comes from the same person who claimed yesterday that 90% in GC South were wearing masks. Not sure we need another thread. Also not at all sure this actually happened.
labdoctor, BJ787, bakera and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Can I have a glass of LPGS with my popcorn?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It's clear that the OP has strong feelings in this area, as is clear in other threads. Calling other intelligent people idiots / delirious isn't going to change minds or indeed behaviour however.

That said, BA hasn't helped this week - most people will have read the mask rules as a snapshot earlier this week, and dependent on which day they read the rules, then it's understandable that they thought that the rules were as they read on the day. Also there are many news reports today that "all restrictions have now ended in England"

So, it's a mess. Irrespective, the rules should be followed when on board an aircraft, as always, otherwise there could be unwanted situations onboard between passengers with differing views.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Can I have a glass of LPGS with my popcorn?
I am afraid we are all in the GC lounge so that's not available; perhaps a glass of prosecco Sir/Madame?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Weren't you the guy in the other thread who was proclaiming that Galleries First had 9/10 people wearing a mask, with BA staffers going around telling people to mask up, after Heathrow made masks optional?

*Takes mahoosive pinch of salt*
​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I am afraid we are all in the GC lounge so that's not available; perhaps a glass of prosecco Sir/Madame?
Our English teacher was always fond of telling us that a "madame" was a lady of the night 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.