Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers

Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers

Old Mar 18, 22, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
I am afraid we are all in the GC lounge so that's not available; perhaps a glass of prosecco Sir/Madame?
You clearly have no idea who I am. No hush, be a good darling, and bring me a bottle…
Globalist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:30 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
It's not clear when the even reported in the OP occurred. BA has in fact changed its mask policy (see below). It appears the new policy was followed for the ATH flight mentioned in the OP:

BA Mask Policy:

"... as an international airline flying all around the world, we are obliged to ensure our customers continue to comply with local restrictions and meet the requirements of the destination they arrive at.

Therefore, we ask you to check the requirements of the destination you’re flying to before departing for the airport, as:
  • If you are travelling on our flights, you will be required to wear a mask on board if the destination you are flying to or from requires you to
  • If you are travelling on our flights, you will be required to wear a mask to disembark the aircraft, and at your arrival airport, if the destination you are flying to requires it
Where we are unsure or have not been able to clarify the local restrictions, we will still require you to wear face coverings, and we ask that you continue to carry masks with you for the duration of your journey.

For destinations where we have established that the wearing of a face covering is not mandated, you are able to make a personal choice and we kindly request everyone respects each other’s preferences."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...e-onboard-faqs
Agree that they've followed their policy here.

Just find it interesting this has happened after the announcements this week, whereas it doesn't seem to have happened until now, or at least wasn't reported on here. The consequences of poor communication perhaps?

I think it may have been prudent to publish the destination list that won't require masks when this was all announced. I saw a list someone put up on here showing that. Might have removed the likelihood of these incidents.

As it is, a weird incident. I wouldn't have been pleased had I been led to believe no masks were needed and was then told I must wear one. Wouldn't cancel my holiday, probably with no refund, over it though!
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Bohinjska Bistrica; Mar 18, 22 at 5:42 am
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
I am afraid we are all in the GC lounge so that's not available; perhaps a glass of prosecco Sir/Madame?
No LPGS in GC?. I'm never going to fly BA again!!
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
I don't understand why some have such a militant attitude to mask-wearing (pro and anti). When given the choice I prefer not to wear one, but if I am asked (or required) to wear one then I do so without hesitation, conflict or challenge. It's a mask, it may feel a little uncomfortable at times but it's not going to kill me, it's not going to change my political views, it's simply a minor inconvenience that allows me to enjoy more freedoms in this covid age.
Can't see anything if I'm wearing one. Have to shout to communicate with other people, and vice versa. Can't see people's facial expressions. Can't see who's talking in social situations. Those are just a few of my reasons. But if you'd actually like to understand more about why some people are so opposed to masks, I recommend this article by Psychiatrist Robert Freudenthal.
LETTERBOY and CrazyLilBlondie like this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:54 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Do we really need another mask thread…..?!

aks120
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:56 am

This will be me this evening if they fail to implement their own policy.

Anyway, this doesn't need another topic.
LETTERBOY, the810 and skipness1E like this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
Can't see anything if I'm wearing one. Have to shout to communicate with other people, and vice versa. Can't see people's facial expressions. Can't see who's talking in social situations. Those are just a few of my reasons. But if you'd actually like to understand more about why some people are so opposed to masks, I recommend this article by Psychiatrist Robert Freudenthal.
All of my psychiatry views have been learned at the University of Life, during which I have noticed that different people react in different ways to different stimuli (with, I hope, no judgement either way on most things, unless they're illegal or actively dangerous!)

For me, the knowledge that different people react differently to stimuli is sufficient and I try to live my life with that little bit of knowledge to apply to situations that may crop up. I don't have any knowledge, or indeed generally any interest in why people react in different ways.

Despite my usual approach to these things (!), I have just read the article and found it very interesting, not judgemental or self-indulgent in any way, although I don't subscribe to the view that by doing something I then fall into any group or a societal relationship. For me, I don't think that deeply! Thanks for the link though.
Mordac likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:05 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I don't understand why some have such a militant attitude to mask-wearing (pro and anti). When given the choice I prefer not to wear one, but if I am asked (or required) to wear one then I do so without hesitation, conflict or challenge. It's a mask, it may feel a little uncomfortable at times but it's not going to kill me, it's not going to change my political views, it's simply a minor inconvenience that allows me to enjoy more freedoms in this covid age.
100% this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:06 am

So out of curiosity, i followed this link to see what the article was about... and its from the "brownstone institute" which is an anti vax and anti masking organisation so i wouldnt take anything they said seriously.

"The motive force of the Brownstone Institute is the global crisis created by policy responses to the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. That trauma revealed a fundamental misunderstanding alive in all countries around the world today, a willingness on the part of the public and officials to forego freedom and fundamental human rights in the name of a public health crisis. The consequences were devastating and will live in infamy."
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thanks for the link, but that too appears another political piece. People should relax and not let any of this wind them up and perhaps not let those with political, militant or radical agendas fire them up. It's only a mask not an enemy of the state!

Pro or anti Is this really worth getting all worked up over?
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by labdoctor View Post
Our English teacher was always fond of telling us that a "madame" was a lady of the night 😂
I always thought the madame was the manager of the establishment where said ladies of the night plied their trade. Now I'm confused!
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Both of you should visit Heathrow this weekend and board a BA plane without a mask if you're asinine enough to question if this happened. Vlog your findings and post here while you're in denial of this.
Originally Posted by Never Stansted View Post
Also not at all sure this actually happened.
Originally Posted by labdoctor View Post
*Takes mahoosive pinch of salt*
​​​​​
Pro-maskers/flyers who are complying with rules have this attitude because these anti-maskers/"you liimit my freedom by requiring me to wear a mask" people delay flights because of their irresponsible actions to simply wear a mask. Dont have sympathy for these types of flyers - seeing several of them in this thread already when they know they have to comply with BA at the end of the day 😂😂
Reading that article posted by a psychiatrist from the Brownstone institute (fake news/anti vax/anti science mill) is comparable to receiving your daily news from a journalist with the Daily Mail/The Mirror/The Sun.
, I recommend this article by Psychiatrist
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:23 am

Wear a proper mask that seals around your nose, then your glasses won't mist up.
A flight is not really a social situation, and if it helps keep others health, you not being able to have a natter for a few hours is hardly more important than others physical health.

And re your article - its a shame that some psychiatrists become so detached from actual physical medicine that they will have originally trained in (although most of them are slightly cuckoo themselves imho). The fact is that airborne particles are reduced by masks (especially the more robust ones). Evidence might be 'weak' because there are a large number of co-variables to infection (including as noted poverty and health inequality). However basic physics (you know, like the rules that keep our aircraft flying) says that masks will reduce infection by some level as they will stop or greatly reduce the throw of particles. I really don't see why I should be 'open to different perspectives' when those perspectives put me at greater risk of getting ill (and ruining my trip, be it leisure or work, or worse ending up a in government facility), or coming home ill and infecting vulnerable family members....

Put it another aviation analogy- the chances of ditching in sea in an aircraft are very rare. If it happens, there is a high risk that the aircraft will break up on contact with the surface. If it survives, and people get out, there is also a chance they will be vulnerable to freezing waters. You could therefore say that having a lifejacket is irrelevant, as the chances are the aircraft won't crash, or if it does will break up on impact, or people will succumb to cold water. However I'm sure many people would still feel uncomfortable on an overwater flight knowing they did not have a life jacket available. The lifejacket is one part of the 'swiss cheese' to minimise risk. Just like wearing a mask is.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
So out of curiosity, i followed this link to see what the article was about... and its from the "brownstone institute" which is an anti vax and anti masking organisation so i wouldnt take anything they said seriously.

"The motive force of the Brownstone Institute is the global crisis created by policy responses to the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. That trauma revealed a fundamental misunderstanding alive in all countries around the world today, a willingness on the part of the public and officials to forego freedom and fundamental human rights in the name of a public health crisis. The consequences were devastating and will live in infamy."
But isn't the ability to read alternate points of view with an open mind an important thing to be able to do? Yes I agree that there was likely to be written from the points of view that they'd prefer masks not to be used, but they did put forward theories as to why these points of view are held. As an example, I tend to try to follow people on Twitter which whom I expect to disagree. The alternative is echo chambers which can lead just to insults and unhelpful polarisation as we have seen by some contributors.
Old Mar 18, 22, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
An incident that almost certainty wouldn't have happened had BA not put out an announcement then backtracked on it without saying anything.
Not really. It began when governments and airports started removing the mask requirement. I had several mask-refusers on an OTP-LHR last week and even some on an EDI-LHR on Sunday, although they all eventually backed down so that we could depart.
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Search this Thread