Wiki Posts
Search

LGW to LHR tight transfer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:26 am
Original Poster

LGW to LHR tight transfer

Morning all,

I’ve seen a nice F fare for MAN - BOS that requires me to transfer from LGW to LHR. There is 3 hours between landing at LGW and take off time at LHR. This seems a bit tight if there are issues. What’s BA’s position if the bus transfer from LGW to LHR means I miss the flight? I note that they don’t handle the transfer themselves so worry they would wash their hands of the issue if I missed the LHR to BOS leg.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it is one ticket then BA will rebook if despite best endeavours you miss the check-in deadline in T5.

Three hours is reasonable for the connection, assuming all is well. Depending on time of day / roadworks and your baggage situation you may prefer to take the train, but if the coach service is working and traffic is flowing then you should have a reasonable connection in my experience. See also the main LHR-LGW thread in the BA Forum Dashboard for timings and the various options open to you.

I would query if you can find a similar fare via LHR or from say NCL. It's unusual if this is cheaper than starting in LHR.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it is one ticket then BA will rebook if despite best endeavours you miss the check-in deadline in T5.

Three hours is reasonable for the connection, assuming all is well. Depending on time of day / roadworks and your baggage situation you may prefer to take the train, but if the coach service is working and traffic is flowing then you should have a reasonable connection in my experience. See also the main LHR-LGW thread in the BA Forum Dashboard for timings and the various options open to you.

I would query if you can find a similar fare via LHR or from say NCL. It's unusual if this is cheaper than starting in LHR.
Many thanks as usual ! From NCL it’s actually the same fare and cuts out LGW so thank you. Fares are £2.1k for my dates in May. Same flights from LHR are £4.1k !
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Many thanks as usual ! From NCL it’s actually the same fare and cuts out LGW so thank you. Fares are £2.1k for my dates in May. Same flights from LHR are £4.1k !
Once you've tried this premium experience, you will find it hard to go back. I'm not talking about aircraft cabins here either.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:19 am

The journey itself isn’t far, the problem is that the M25 is notoriously poor clockwise between the A24 junction and the M3 junction. Have you considered getting the train/underground?

edit - what day are you travelling on and the time as that makes a difference also.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mockerz89
The journey itself isn’t far, the problem is that the M25 is notoriously poor clockwise between the A24 junction and the M3 junction. Have you considered getting the train/underground?

edit - what day are you travelling on and the time as that makes a difference also.
Due to CWS’s great advice, I will start from NCL and thus not have navigate between LGW and LHR!
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

If I head up to NCL in the morning and then turn back later in the day to fly to BOS, will I be able to use the F wing, CCR etc in the morning as I’m flying F later in the day ?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, using your F boarding pass - however this will mess up your domestic leg to NCL. So maybe show it at CCR but not at the F wing
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Is the LGW-LHR and LHR-LGW seen as a protected connection despite the cross city independent travel?

(ridiculous scenario of course) but if I turned up 3 hours late for my flight, could I really expect duty of care if I had to be rebooked the following morning?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:33 pm

If booked on a single ticket and over BA’s MCT, then yes it is considered protected. If separate tickets then you’re relying on their generosity, and if separate tickets under MCT then you’ve only got yourself to blame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.