Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
https://www.portugalresident.com/por...ic-transports/Portugal’s Minister of Health announced on Thursday the decision to drop mask-wearing on public transports, including planes, buses, taxis and TVDE vehicles, as well as pharmacies.

The measure has been approved by the Council of Ministers but will only come into effect once it has been promulgated by President of the Republic, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa. It will then have to be published in the state gazette Diário da República.

According to Temido, the decision to drop the requirement to wear masks or face shields is based on the country’s stable Covid-19 epidemiological situation and the lack of pressure on health services – at least from Covid-19 patients.

Mask-wearing will remain mandatory, however, at health establishments (such as hospitals and health centres) and nursing homes.

Despite the decision to drop mask-wearing on public transports, the minister stresses that citizens should continue to make their own “assessments of the risks” and “protect themselves” if they feel the need to.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew out to Spain last week on BA. There was no mention of masks being required at the gate but on boarding the crew were handing them out and insisting that they be worn. Thankfully I was in Club and the CSD was extremely generous with the drinks which meant that to all intents and purposes masks were only on from boarding until cruise and again during landing (and even then the CSD was handing out plastic glasses to those who’d requested one last drink for the runway…)

Flying back this week I was on an ‘operated by Iberia for BA’ service and the mask requirement was announced at the gate and during boarding and everyone that I could see was wearing one. This time I was in ET. I eeked out the bottle of water and bag of crisps for as long as I could but most fellow passengers that I could observe never bothered to put the mask back on afterwards so neither did I.

What struck me was how unused I had become to wearing one again and I found it took some getting used to. I can’t wait for all this nonsense to stop!
ENTP likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mmogdan
https://www.portugalresident.com/por...ic-transports/Portugal’s Minister of Health announced on Thursday the decision to drop mask-wearing on public transports, including planes, buses, taxis and TVDE vehicles, as well as pharmacies.
Autonomous Madeira, where the requirement was removed some weeks back, continues to confuse BA. Last week mask wearing was enforced (' as a Portuguese government requirement') although many on board failed to comply.
On arrival, the airport was almost entirely mask free, including those arriving on a maskless Ryanair flight from Stanstead.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by BA235
I flew out to Spain last week on BA. There was no mention of masks being required at the gate but on boarding the crew were handing them out and insisting that they be worn. Thankfully I was in Club and the CSD was extremely generous with the drinks which meant that to all intents and purposes masks were only on from boarding until cruise and again during landing (and even then the CSD was handing out plastic glasses to those who’d requested one last drink for the runway…)

Flying back this week I was on an ‘operated by Iberia for BA’ service and the mask requirement was announced at the gate and during boarding and everyone that I could see was wearing one. This time I was in ET. I eeked out the bottle of water and bag of crisps for as long as I could but most fellow passengers that I could observe never bothered to put the mask back on afterwards so neither did I.

What struck me was how unused I had become to wearing one again and I found it took some getting used to. I can’t wait for all this nonsense to stop!
I always wonder BA still says you need to wear a mask going to Spain as Jet2 don't require it and they fly many many more flights to Spain than BA and never had a problem....
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SonTech
I always wonder BA still says you need to wear a mask going to Spain as Jet2 don't require it and they fly many many more flights to Spain than BA and never had a problem....
It is still required in Spain. BA are perhaps trying to follow the rules, other airline may be less bothered.

https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/during/

Use of face masks

In Spain, as of 20 April 2022 it is no longer mandatory to wear a mask indoors or outdoors with certain exceptions. You must wear a mask:
  1. When travelling by plane, train or bus, as well as in all other public transport.
  2. On ships or boats when the 1.5-metre safety distance cannot be guaranteed, except inside cabins, provided these are shared with members of the same household or bubble.
  3. In healthcare centres, services and establishments, such as health centres, hospitals and pharmacies.
  4. Workers and visitors in communal areas of socio-sanitary centres.
Remember that children under the age of six are not obliged to wear masks under any circumstances.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by Robert279
Autonomous Madeira, where the requirement was removed some weeks back, continues to confuse BA. Last week mask wearing was enforced (' as a Portuguese government requirement') although many on board failed to comply.
On arrival, the airport was almost entirely mask free, including those arriving on a maskless Ryanair flight from Stanstead.
Same in LIS. It’s okay to be in a packed line at immigration not masked, but the moment you step on a plane they expect you to wear a mask.

Pleased they’ve finally dropped it. Let’s hope it stays this way during the winter.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Same in LIS. It’s okay to be in a packed line at immigration not masked, but the moment you step on a plane they expect you to wear a mask.

Pleased they’ve finally dropped it. Let’s hope it stays this way during the winter.
Flew to Faro last week with BA (Finnair operated) and required to wear a mask while flying back from Lisbon this week no mask required by BA staff (staff had overnighted at Lisbon and wonder whether the mask issue wasn't included in their pre-flight briefing. Has the policy changed recently re Portugal requiring masks on public transport? I have found total inconsistency re mask wearing. Last moth flew with BA to Malaga from City and crew insisted on masks while friends took exactly the same flight two days prior and no masks required........We returned from Malaga with Ryanair and no masks required by them on that route.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Pleasantly surprised that Kenya isn’t on the list, given that local government websites suggest masks are compulsory in and out of the airport.

can now confirm that no masks required for Kenya and not enforced at the airport.

Last edited by bluemoon68; Aug 30, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
Flew to Faro last week with BA (Finnair operated) and required to wear a mask while flying back from Lisbon this week no mask required by BA staff (staff had overnighted at Lisbon and wonder whether the mask issue wasn't included in their pre-flight briefing. Has the policy changed recently re Portugal requiring masks on public transport? I have found total inconsistency re mask wearing. Last moth flew with BA to Malaga from City and crew insisted on masks while friends took exactly the same flight two days prior and no masks required........We returned from Malaga with Ryanair and no masks required by them on that route.
There has been no change in BA policy, nor Portuguese government policy (yet) for Portugal. The inconsistency is not down to BA's policy, BA's policies are clear on BA's website as well as within crew's briefings for each destination, it is just the crew on the day who at times have been making their own decisions contrary to policy.

Portugal has announced that masks will be dropped on public transport, including planes, however, it is awaiting sign-off from their president before it becomes official. I suspect a few days after that, BA will update their policies.

Additionally, I expect BA to remove the need for masks ex-LHR to SIN shortly after 29th August which is the date from which Singapore have dropped masks on planes and in general public settings indoors in their country.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
There has been no change in BA policy, nor Portuguese government policy (yet) for Portugal. The inconsistency is not down to BA's policy, BA's policies are clear on BA's website as well as within crew's briefings for each destination, it is just the crew on the day who at times have been making their own decisions contrary to policy.

Portugal has announced that masks will be dropped on public transport, including planes, however, it is awaiting sign-off from their president before it becomes official. I suspect a few days after that, BA will update their policies.

Additionally, I expect BA to remove the need for masks ex-LHR to SIN shortly after 29th August which is the date from which Singapore have dropped masks on planes and in general public settings indoors in their country.
Thanks for clarifying AirbusA350 🙏
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:53 am

Quite a few changes, no masks required to/from Algeria, Bahamas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia. Portugal and Singapore should be added to that list sometime within the next week or two also. This would only leave just Spain and Germany as the two sole European destinations requiring masks, both ways that too, at least officially, as per BA policy (which of course is shaped on their interpretation of legal requirements/obligations BA feel they have to adhere to).
DaveS and Pilot37 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
TAP have confirmed no masks required on their flights from yesterday (27th) so BA should follow pretty quickly (fingers crossed!)

Pilot37
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is still required in Spain. BA are perhaps trying to follow the rules, other airline may be less bothered.
I flew to Ibiza again - yes fourth time this year - last week and it was certainly interesting. On the flight out, BA announced 3 times a mask was mandatory for the flight out to Spain, only for 50% of the plane to ignore it (including me) and nothing fully enforced.

On the way back, Ibiza airport was an*l about people wearing a mask to board and actually stopped people boarding without one. Made people go buy one, which then delayed the flight as those people were late boarding. More bizarre, as soon as we got into the bus to take us to the plane, everyone took theirs off and it remained off. So all they enforced was wearing to board. What's the point in that if everyone removes it 2 minutes later!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Quite a few changes, no masks required to/from Algeria, Bahamas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia. Portugal and Singapore should be added to that list sometime within the next week or two also. This would only leave just Spain and Germany as the two sole European destinations requiring masks, both ways that too, at least officially, as per BA policy (which of course is shaped on their interpretation of legal requirements/obligations BA feel they have to adhere to).
Not only is Germany the last remaining, but I'm sure everyone has seen they are changing the policy from 1 October where you must wear a FFP2 for all flights and public transport: COVID: German cabinet signs off on rules for autumn and winter | News | DW | 24.08.2022

I emailed a few German colleagues, as I'm there on 16 October, saying this is ridiculous and each one replied "it's fine! we're used to it, it keeps us all safe!" and were shocked why I'd question FFP2 mask wearing. I was shocked they were shocked. Tempted to cancel the trip.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:20 am

Update - No masks required on BA operated services to/from Brazil, Portugal, Singapore and Saudi Arabia
bakera, stifle, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.