Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: AirbusA350
Wiki Link
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 12th July 2022):
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Germany
  • Grenada
  • Hong Kong, China
  • India
  • Japan
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Morocco
  • Nigeria
  • Portugal
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • St Kitts
  • St Lucia
  • Turks and Caicos
  • UAE

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from the following countried (as of 12th July 2022):
  • Australia
  • Germany
  • Grenada
  • Hong Kong, China
  • Nigeria
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • St Kitts

More information will be found here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...irus/steps-123

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 12, 22, 4:27 pm

Masks are no longer when flying to/from Egypt, Jordan and Cayman Islands
Old Jul 13, 22, 3:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
Not quite correct. It is recommended that an FFP2 mask is worn, however, a medical mask such as a surgical mask is absolutely fine in German public transport. Tbh, hardly any enforcement, you're in luck if you actually see any staff at all on trains and subway especially! Also, contrary to what I thought it would be like, public compliance is not that high either.

Elsewhere, masks are rarely seen. At least this was true of my experience in Dusseldorf and Frankfurt last week as well as my laborious 4 hour train journey between the two (used regional trains only to benefit from the 9 EUR ticket!
I had a slightly different experience. I was in Berlin over the Jubilee weekend and the signs outside U-Bahn stations were clear that FFP2 masks were expected. Compliance was about 50% FFP2, and the rest a mixed bag of surgical masks, cloth masks and nothing. At busy times almost everyone was masked one way or another, but when the trains were quiet compliance went down.
Old Jul 22, 22, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Masks are very much required and strictly enforced now flying to/from Germany - seems to have really stepped up on BA aircraft from mid-June, not sure why. Previous to this crew weren't wearing them and it was very much unofficially/officially optional in both directions.

Depressing - feeling very 2020.
Old Jul 22, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Platinum, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by chriswiles View Post
I'm sure this has been covered, but Iberia covered BA's flight back from Ibiza this week (they even said it was a BA flight on-board!) and told us it was 100% compulsory to wear a face mask, repeated twice over the tannoy, on the flight, even though the destination was the UK.

Very annoying flight, with the above and bizarre service, even in CE.

On the flight out, BA were really casual about masks. Made you wear one as you boarded, but it came off as soon as we were in the air and I never put mine back on and disembarked without it - in Spain.
Absolutely confusing re masks and routes and carriers these days. Last week flew BA to Malaga from LCY and passengers were required to wear masks (our friends flew same flight two days prior and masks not required), while flying back from Malaga with Ryanair and masks not required. Have done a few IB flights to and from Spain within last month and on them masks always required.
Old Jul 25, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC, LH MM, FlyingBlue
Well, I flew BER-LCY on Thursday 21st, and no mention of masks was made at any point, either at the gate or on the tannoy, and the crew was not wearing masks either. Passengers were 50/50. I was mask-free. Nobody seemed bothered in the slightest.
endoman likes this.
Old Jul 25, 22, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tosaerba24 View Post
Well, I flew BER-LCY on Thursday 21st, and no mention of masks was made at any point, either at the gate or on the tannoy, and the crew was not wearing masks either. Passengers were 50/50. I was mask-free. Nobody seemed bothered in the slightest.
I did LCY-BER-LCY out Fri 22nd and back Sun 24th and masks were enforced in both directions (although with much less rigour on the return).

Multiple announcements, masks handed out to those who did not have them, and crew walked up and down the aisle before take off reminding people to put them on.

Pretty consistent wearing on public transport by the locals in the city too.
Old Jul 25, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, LH MM, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by ao40 View Post
I did LCY-BER-LCY out Fri 22nd and back Sun 24th and masks were enforced in both directions (although with much less rigour on the return).

Multiple announcements, masks handed out to those who did not have them, and crew walked up and down the aisle before take off reminding people to put them on.

Pretty consistent wearing on public transport by the locals in the city too.
In the city tbh I found it a bit hit and miss. Roughly 20-25% of passengers were consistently maskless on U-Bahn and S-Bahn between 19-21 July. On one bus at around 11pm on the Tuesday, the majority was mask-free, including two drivers who were sitting in the passenger section (obviously) at the end of their shift.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:03 pm

Flew out to Spain 10 days ago on the Iberia Express wet lease - not mentioned at all.

Flew back earlier this week on BA and nothing mentioned.

Now boarding another Iberia Express flight to Malaga and they are being militant about wearing a mask. Thankfully I have my medical exemption letter.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:04 am

Masks no longer needed, in either direction, on BA-operated services to Qatar.
KARFA, HFHFFlyer and drwook like this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, BA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by msaps View Post
Masks are very much required and strictly enforced now flying to/from Germany.
I flew LHR-NUE last week and there was no mention of masks (probably 25% were wearing them anyway) until it was time to get off, when the crew told us we needed to have masks on as we exited the airplane and handed them out to those who didnít have one. However, at immigration the agent told me I didnít need a mask so I took it back off. Not sure who was right.

On public transit in both NUE and MUC 98%+ of passengers were wearing masks. The rule seems odd to me since virtually no one wore a mask anywhere we went, including crowded indoors places, except public transit.
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:07 am

You don't need a mask in any airports in Germany anymore (e.g. NUE), but the Federal Government requires them in Public Transportation, which is also why LH require a mask. Not sure why BA would not enforce masks during a flight to Germany.
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jj_lgkr View Post
Not sure why BA would not enforce masks during a flight to Germany.
As a policy BA do wish for it to be enforced in the countries they've listed as I'm sure they'd want to be protected against any potential retributions/penalties that may arise from other governments as a result. It is the crew members on the day that essentially determine whether they wish to enforce it or not. Sadly whilst it may be convenient for one particular set of crew to quietly ignore company policy, it only later serves inconvenience to another set of crew operating on the same route, who may wish to follow company policy, who then may later be questioned or face grief from customers who question the validity of any attempt of enforcement based on a previous experience. Own goal for crew in my view notwithstanding only further fuelling the inconsistencies we're all know BA are renowned for, as there wasn't enough inconsistency with BA products, service and crew weren't enough already!!
Old Aug 9, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Masks for JFK arrival

Flew BA173 LHR-JFK on 4th August and upon arrival we were told we had to deplane with masks and wear them inside the terminal. This caught a few people out but masks were provided.

Didnít see a mask being worn by a single person working in T7 arrivals nor anywhere else in JFK or in NYC.
Old Aug 9, 22, 5:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GK1981 View Post
Flew BA173 LHR-JFK on 4th August and upon arrival we were told we had to deplane with masks and wear them inside the terminal. This caught a few people out but masks were provided.

Didnít see a mask being worn by a single person working in T7 arrivals nor anywhere else in JFK or in NYC.
The New York / New Jersey Port Authority has kept the mask mandate in place in certain airports in New York due to the New York public health guidance. This applies to JFK and La Guardia. As New Jersey has relaxed the guidance the Port Authority has lifted the mandate for Newark. The result is that no-one seems to care anymore. Even the CBP officers art JFK don't wear them. The mask mandate policy at JFK is untenable.
Old Aug 9, 22, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
Masks no longer needed, in either direction, on BA-operated services to Qatar.
A sanity check would absolutely be required though
labdoctor likes this.

Search this Thread