Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Masks are required when flying to Spain on either BA or IB. Flying from Spain back to the UK, only IB required them and when our flight was switched to IB operated this past Tuesday, BA sent a note before the flight reminding us of the mask rule for an IB operated flight (while BA flights had dropped the mask rule departing Spain). I don't believe the rule has changed flying from Spain back to the UK in the last few days because the rule only exists for public transport in Spain currently, under which IB would be applicable, but saying a UK aircraft is public transport in Spain is a bit of a stretch.
Spain is also reviewing the rule on June 15th, so hopefully it drops it entirely, especially when its farcical element is that you only have to put the mask on when boarding the aircraft and remove it as soon as your on the airbridge upon arrival in Spain! (i.e. no masks needed throughout the airport!)

Pilot37
both directions. We flew to Spain on the 1st and back on the 5th. They asked for masks in both directions, however it wasn’t really enforced on the way back
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:55 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Donsyb
both directions. We flew to Spain on the 1st and back on the 5th. They asked for masks in both directions, however it wasn’t really enforced on the way back
BA wanted masks to Madrid and handed out a supposedly mandatory form for completion. It was one that I had not seen before so I did it. So important was it that it was of interest to no one. We had to show our Q codes for vaccination et basta.

IB said that they were mandatory when leaving MAD for NTE. No one enforced anything as far as I could tell on either flight.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
BA wanted masks to Madrid and handed out a supposedly mandatory form for completion. It was one that I had not seen before so I did it. So important was it that it was of interest to no one. We had to show our Q codes for vaccination et basta.

IB said that they were mandatory when leaving MAD for NTE. No one enforced anything as far as I could tell on either flight.
They handed out paper health forms on my flight to Malaga end of May saying they were required if not completed on line, I was fairly sure it wasn't required if fully vaccd so didn't bother and just had to show the QR vacc code on arrival which was just glanced at, chucked the forms in the bin! Bit annoying BA didn't know the rules as most pax filled them out.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Jamaica ... just started looking at a trip there before the double TP offer expires. No masks, no tests, nothing. Just fly there and enjoy. Amazing! Clearly I need to treble-check all that, but what a difference from the rules for other destinations.
bakera, endoman, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Donsyb
I flew to Ibiza two weeks ago and I'd say it was barely enforced on the way out. As soon as they started serving food, they came off and stayed off until 20 mins before landing.

On the way back, I didn't wear one at all and wasn't enforced in the airport, on the bus to the plane (where it's illegal not to wear one) or on the plane!
LETTERBOY and RockyRobin like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I flew to Ibiza two weeks ago and I'd say it was barely enforced on the way out. As soon as they started serving food, they came off and stayed off until 20 mins before landing.

On the way back, I didn't wear one at all and wasn't enforced in the airport, on the bus to the plane (where it's illegal not to wear one) or on the plane!
It was similar in Portugal recently. Notionally required on plane, transfer bus and in airport, but even the airport staff weren't wearing them. On the outbound the captain asked people to put masks on; most complied for take-off and then took them off when drinks were served. On the inbound no enforcement at all.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Flew into DXB today on Saudia and no mention about requiring masks on the plane. Also saw lots of passengers from other flights coming off jetbridges into the main arrival concourse and most didn’t have masks on. Also, no one requesting to wear masks around the airport.

I’m not able to find a definitive answer about DXB and masks online though.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Flew into DXB today on Saudia and no mention about requiring masks on the plane. Also saw lots of passengers from other flights coming off jetbridges into the main arrival concourse and most didn’t have masks on. Also, no one requesting to wear masks around the airport.

I’m not able to find a definitive answer about DXB and masks online though.
That's so frustrating - I've all but ditched DXB for this summer as I can find no information or even rumours about when official rules on indoor/airport mask wearing will be relaxed.

I have no strong political views on masks either way, but as I don't need to wear them at home, it's a bit of a holiday dampener for me if I need to put one on as soon as I board a BA flight (and I certainly won't be flying Saudia!)

So probably going to stick to the Greek islands, and hope that BA doesn't expect a mask for them...
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
(and I certainly won't be flying Saudia!)
I have to say that SV were light years ahead of BA in terms of catering and service as well as the hard product both on their B789 and A320s.

Of course, there’s no alcohol which for some could be an issue.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:28 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Does anyone have an update as to whether masks are enforced in JFK/LAX? Given I don’t have to wear them any other time on the trip I’d prefer not to bother at all.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by PxC
Does anyone have an update as to whether masks are enforced in JFK/LAX? Given I don’t have to wear them any other time on the trip I’d prefer not to bother at all.
I did not wear a mask at either of those airports when I was there last month and the same for a lot of other passengers.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: AA PLT
On PMI to LHR this morning crew were adamant masks were required and were very strict. BA web site has also been updated to say that masks are required from Spain. Pretty farcical because in the week we've been here I can count the number of people I've seen wearing masks on one hand
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA don’t make the rules.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
BA don’t make the rules.
They kinda do. BA requires masks to some destinations where other airlines (SK, AY, D6, LO...) don't. In principle, BA seems to require masks whenever there's a domestic mandate, even if it's legally not applicable to their aircraft.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
But they are required, what’s your point?

From the Iberia website.

In line with the current regulations, the use of a surgical mask or one providing greater protection (without an exhalation valve), covering the nose and mouth, is compulsory for everyone aged six and over when boarding the plane and throughout the flight. If you are not wearing a mask, we will be obliged to deny you boarding.

Passengers who cannot use the obligatory face mask for exceptional health reasons must contact the Iberia Medical Service. If this is your case, you must go to an Iberia desk at the airport and present the Iberia medical authorisation and the negative result of a PCR test taken no more than 48 hours before the departure of the flight, as well as any health tests and documents required by the local authorities at the destination.
Tobias-UK and Blenheim like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.