Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by nk15
And this is the problem, the airplane is one of those very few places, maybe the only remaining one, that we are forced to sit next to a ton of inconsiderate maskless people...You can avoid them almost everywhere else, except on a commercial flight, for which there is no viable alternative...

Going maskless indoors is one thing, but on a plane in such forced extreme proximity should not be allowed....
1. You can still wear your mask and heck even a hazmat suit or more
2. It is inconsiderate of people IMO to want COVID restrictions and masks to seemingly continue forever in turn imposing it on others, that is not how we lead our lives, yes in an emergency pandemic, absolutely, but not when necessary live-saving tools have been developed and are continuing to be enhanced and boosted further, especially when experts/scientists themselves in the field are showing true senses of optimism also from a scientific POV whereby COVID is gradually becoming less of a threat, particularly if we keep ourselves jabbed/up-to-date
3. You are welcome to never fly again, I amongst many others will pounce on a potentially freed up reward space or cheap fare that may arise thanks to it
4. Make your views elsewhere please, this isn't a mask efficacy, pro-mask/anti-mask forum, it's a thread about masks on a BA flight and which routes and practicalities surrounding it

Mods could we please remove some of the comments (or the commenters themselves) that are hellbent on continually labelling people as "selfish", "inconsiderate", "sheep" etc (and hence causing further inflammatory discussion serving no purpose for this thread) or as a minimum steer it back into focus? Thanks.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Mar 20, 2022 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Indeed. Maybe if this starts hitting BA in their bottom line (flight cancelled due to insufficient crew (i.e. EU261 eligable claims)), they might realise that even if masks were reducing risks of illness by 25% its worth continuing with. What will be interesting is are rates of illness higher than in the december/Jan wave when national rates were higher and masks were necessary.
SAS has been operating some flights mask-free for over month now (and also for additional ~6 weeks in the autumn). They don't have issues of this kind despite their mask-free policy covering much higher percentage of their services compared to BA. It also doesn't appear that bars, stores or cinemas would have staffing issues due to their employees falling ill.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Lovely BA employees enforcing mask wearing. Good on them. Mask up and dont be selfish. 2 years into the pandemic and some asinine travelers here think the UK is Florida all of a sudden.
With respect, countries such as Germany, which are obsessed with FFP2 masks, worn everywhere, have almost 200,000 daily cases and hit their highest number ever on Thursday - masks do not work. Masks are merely a safety blanket to somehow reassure fearful travellers that they are 'safe' to fly, despite the fact that 50% of the time on the same flight they are removed for drinking and eating (and somehow covid doesn't spread during this period, clearly...).

We really need to get over this fear that 'mask = safety'. Of course they help, but we're not in March 2020 anymore. People generally do not get seriously ill through covid. A bad cold I had in December was far worse than covid I had in January. We need to move beyond the early fear which still remains for so many people.

There so many middle-aged people who view covid as a potential death senteance, but do not bat an eye lid at a bad cold, flu or any other viral infections. So in 2019 it was completely fine for me to get on a plane with flu symptons, cough away, but in 2022 you have to wear a mask? Can you not remember the days when we all went to work with a bad cold? It wasn't that long ago. Covid? We're gonna die!

Also shocks me a little so many people have liked your post too.

Last edited by chriswiles; Mar 20, 2022 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Going maskless indoors is one thing, but on a plane in such forced extreme proximity should not be allowed....
As for this 'one thing'. Have you researched this or just guessing? I can assure you you're more likely to get covid from a packed non-airconditioned pub or watching the football with your mates at someone's house, than you are on an air-conditioned plane with filters processing the air.

Also, most people get covid....at home, from their kids. You don't wear a mask at home. You don't when you hug your kids. This we seem to regard as somehow 'safe', but sitting on an air-conditioned plane, unsafe. Perplexing logic.

My advice to you is: if you're this fearful, don't get on a plane.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is not perplexing logic, I have control of other situations and I am not exposing myself indoors to people who are unmasked or unvaccinated, and I can also self-distance and minimize my exposure time in other indoor settings. BA.2 is more contagious than Omicron, too.

But anyway, this is a sad development with some airlines, and people acting so indignant and claiming the moral high ground for not wearing a mask on a plane, is beyond the pale. And medical staff leading such attacks on people advocating basic mask protections as in post #301 is unfathomable, IMO...
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by Cotswold Eagle
Flight from Malta last evening. Malta requires masks in public places inside, including the airport, and there is pretty good compliance in my experience last week. Thus virtually all passengers boarded wearing masks, but flight crew were not.

No mention of masks in announcements that I heard. Most passengers in my part of Club Europe continued to wear them through to dinner service (by unmasked crew), but not many put them back on after eating,
If cabin crew are unmasked, I consider it well within my rights not to wear a mask either.
rorschi, SteveF, mfhpfl and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by vanmunchen
If cabin crew are unmasked, I consider it well within my rights not to wear a mask either.
If crew are not masked up when you board I think it a reasonable assumption you are on a flight where masks need not be worn.
bakera, skiaplg, the810 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Can we return our focus on the routes where masks need to be used and those where they don’t. I think we’re all well versed in day to day risk management.

Thanks,

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Update. At the gate for the BA0502 14:50 LHR to LIS flight . BA made an announcement that Portugal has mandatory mask wearing so requested that we all put on face masks prior to boarding and wear for the duration of the flight.

Sitting in our seats so far I've only seen 4 passengers not complying. Crew are all wearing masks.

Apparently flight is completely full but thankfully still have a table between club passengers. 12 rows of Club.

Offered an antibacterial wipe on boarding.
nk15 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I'm currently on a flight from Spain to LHR where none of the cabin crew are wearing masks

Most passengers are, however.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
I'm currently on a flight from Spain to LHR where none of the cabin crew are wearing masks

Most passengers are, however.
It might might help if you would share which route - or if this is mainland or island.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It might might help if you would share which route - or if this is mainland or island.
AGP-LHR
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:40 am

[QUOTE=mario;34096671]I'm currently on a flight from Spain to LHR where none of the cabin crew are wearing masks
/QUOTE]

BA states on their website that you do not need to wear a mask on their flights if the destination allows this, but you do at the other end (disembarking, in the destination airport and so on): https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=8808

Still perplexed by an obsession with masks when we take them off at least 50% of the time on the plane, especially in Club, where people sips drinks super-slow for ages. It's just gone mad. Sweden? No masks and low covid rate. Germany? Obsessed with FFP2 masks, yet high covid rate. Go figure.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Whilst not specifically BA , the outgoing CEO of American Airlines said this yesterday about their Mask Mandate...

"I’m looking forward to the day it’s not required anymore too. I hope that’ll be April 18th, we’ll see. But if it is April 18th, then of course there’s no requirement. This isn’t a company policy, we’re following a company mandate. So this is the first time I’ve done this in awhile that I’m not wearing a mask. We don’t have masks required in buildings anymore in America. We won’t have masks required at American for our customers or our flight attendants or our employees.I’m now speaking out of school because I’m not going to be here to make this decision, but I’m certain that Robert and team will also decide that if you want to wear a mask you can. It’s a new world now. Prior to the, I remember when the pandemic first broke we actually were going back and forth about whether it’s ok for flight attendants to wear a mask if they wanted to.

…Here’s what I believe: the mandate will go away, if you want to keep wearing a mask because personal preference, fine. If you want to wear gloves, fine. I think you’ll see that throughout the country. Some people will still want to wear them. And if they want to fantastic. But if you don’t you don’t have to."

I think that once the US do it then the flood gates will open world wide. Masks at that stage will be optional near enough everywhere.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:05 am

DUB & JER now no longer require masks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.