Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirbusA350
List of BA destinations where masks ARE mandatory

You will need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling to the following countries (as of 4th May 2023):
  • Morocco

You will not need to wear a mask on board if you are travelling from any country back to UK (as of 4th May 2023)
Print Wikipost

List of BA destinations where masks are mandatory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
IThe genie is out of the bottle and most of us are simply not willing to regress. .
I would be very wary of this sort of statement. Every opinion poll and every piece of market research that I've seen for the UK over the last few months has shown the public support a fairly rigorous imposition of mask mandates. It doesn't seem to matter if the poll or research is commission by UKHSA, the Cabinet Office, media organisations or consumer groups, they all more or less point the same way. As a general point "most of us" means "me and fellow minded people" regardless of actual size.

This is a matter of timing, 23 March is a big day within Europe, potentially 19 April in USA, so with a bit of patience there will be a time when this will become much easier. BA at least isn't striving to be the last airline to work this space and after a bit of a hiccup on day 1, we now have a clear list of places where there isn't a mask mandate.
flygirl68, ExpatExp, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Fingers crossed USA joins that list in a month's time
JimEddie, LETTERBOY and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:28 am

What happens on 23 March in Europe? I think the OP means BA seems "unclear" on most destinations.
BTW T5 heaving this morning.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is a matter of timing, 23 March is a big day within Europe
Apologies what’s the big day in Europe on 23rd? Other than Austria re-introducing masks. Did a quick Google and wasn’t able to immediately find it
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Apologies what’s the big day in Europe on 23rd? Other than Austria re-introducing masks. Did a quick Google and wasn’t able to immediately find it
The EU commission has recommended general relaxation of restrictions, so things like pre departure tests in NL, mask restrctions in many countries, isolation requirements, data reporting are all eased at this point.
paulaf, LCSinTexas and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I would be very wary of this sort of statement. Every opinion poll and every piece of market research that I've seen for the UK over the last few months has shown the public support a fairly rigorous imposition of mask mandates.
And yet whenever mask mandates are relaxed the actual experience of percentages of people no longer wearing them seems completely at odds with the supposed 80% of people (or whatever number is claimed) who want rigorous impositions of masks. Very odd isn't it
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:38 am

The EU commission has recommended general relaxation of restrictions, so things like pre departure tests in NL, mask restrctions in many countries, isolation requirements, data reporting are all eased at this point.
Thanks for clarifying

Presumably if a country chooses to do so right? Because their last recommendation of dropping tests for fully vaccinated non-EU citizens wasn’t followed through by NL and likewise Austria is reimposing masks ironically on the date EU recommends otherwise. Without wishing to digress too much, have there been any EU countries they have announced relaxations from that date following this recommendation?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
And yet whenever mask mandates are relaxed the actual experience of percentages of people no longer wearing them seems completely at adds with the supposed 80% of people (or whatever number is claimed) who want rigorous impositions of masks. Very odd isn't it
Oh yes, I'm fully aware that "I want tough restrictions" has that hidden clause "for everyone else". Be it crime, immigration, taxes or dare I suggest lounge entry. But in the case of masks there is a bit of a logic that says "we all do this or no-one does this". As someone who works in this field the frustrating bit for me is the failure to understand that masks never stood alone, it was in connection with everything else (notably social distancing) and everyone else. I guess I and my colleagues share some responsibility for not explaining how viruses work, but also feel some people could only think of themselves - again the "for everyone else".
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Thanks for clarifying

Presumably if a country chooses to do so right? Because their last recommendation of dropping tests for fully vaccinated non-EU citizens wasn’t followed through by NL and likewise Austria is reimposing masks ironically on the date EU recommends otherwise. Without wishing to digress too much, have there been any EU countries they have announced relaxations from that date following this recommendation?
Correct, public health is under subsidiarity, indeed it's often further devolved with nation states too. But let's say by end the end of March it will be clearer. And that may be ok, our internal view of the BA.2 surge in the UK is that we think it will start to reduce in about a week to 10 days from now.
JimEddie, KARFA and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’m confused by this statement, isn’t this exactly BA’s current policy? This is the policy:
  • You will be required to wear a mask on board our flights if the destination you’re travelling to or from requires you to
  • You will be required to wear a mask to disembark the aircraft, and at your arrival airport, if the destination you’re flying to requires it
  • Where we have not been able to clarify the local restrictions and because restrictions can change quickly, we will still require you to wear face covering
  • For destinations where we have established that the wearing of a face covering is not mandated, you are able to make a personal choice and we kindly request everyone respects each other’s preferences
I think you are misinterpreting what I’m saying. I agree that is their policy and I’m merely saying that I think they should stick with it.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
...but also feel some people could only think of themselves - again the "for everyone else".
It's a brave argument to run that people who now chose not to wear them when mandates are relaxed are being selfish when they have had to follow unbelievable restrictions on their livelihoods over the last few years, and pretty much unfailingly done so with minimal complaint in order to protect not only themselves, but their family and friends, and their fellow citizens.

But anyway, I apologise for the side track.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 19, 2022 at 3:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:55 am

But let's say by end the end of March it will be clearer. And that may be ok, our internal view of the BA.2 surge in the UK is that we think it will start to reduce in about a week to 10 days from now.
Oh wow there’s actually proper scientific optimism as well now with this “stealth”/“deltacron”/BA.2 now? Very encouraging because depending on what news you read in the UK, it’s either doom & gloom or elation that COVID’s over, so it is reassuring to know the thoughts from within credible sources, such as from your field, I am clinician myself, however, the drips and drabs of confusing internal memos mixed in with healthcare professionals own newly found virology/public health expertise further mixed in with public/media chipping in has only further blurred matters! Therefore, I’m grateful for your insight, thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The genie is out of the bottle and most of us are simply not willing to regress.
It's not clear what constituency you believe you represent. In general, the population appears to be willing to modify behaviours and accept restrictions imposed to preserve public health. I can't believe that too many of us regard those restrictions as a senseless manifestation of executive power

Commercially BA needs to stick with the plan to make them optional wherever possible
Then be happy! It seems to me the airline is doing its best to follow the course you wish it to.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC
I would be very wary of this sort of statement. Every opinion poll and every piece of market research that I've seen for the UK over the last few months has shown the public support a fairly rigorous imposition of mask mandates. It doesn't seem to matter if the poll or research is commission by UKHSA, the Cabinet Office, media organisations or consumer groups, they all more or less point the same way. As a general point "most of us" means "me and fellow minded people" regardless of actual size.

This is a matter of timing, 23 March is a big day within Europe, potentially 19 April in USA, so with a bit of patience there will be a time when this will become much easier. BA at least isn't striving to be the last airline to work this space and after a bit of a hiccup on day 1, we now have a clear list of places where there isn't a mask mandate.
l’m going by what I see about me. Opinion polls can rarely be relied upon whether it’s who people will vote for ( I’ve never been asked but I wouldn’t tell), whether they plan to vote one way or another in a referendum or whether they want to keep face masks.

I don’t know everyone in the UK or even in my large village but I do know what I see so whatever their stated opinions are they are behaving in a way that suggests they prefer not to be masked up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I think you are misinterpreting what I’m saying. I agree that is their policy and I’m merely saying that I think they should stick with it.
I'm sure BA will stick with it. The only reason I could foresee BA going back on this policy is if there are too many reports of arguments or crew/gate agents being abused by passengers who refuse to wear masks on routes where they are required under the policy. If that abuse is identified to be caused by militancy, confusion or misunderstanding of the policy then I suppose BA might get fed up and reintroduce the mandatory wearing of masks on all flights until such time that all the jurisdictions it flies to revoke any mask mandates. That would stop the confusion!

I don't for one second believe that would happen, but the best way of ruling that possibility out during the transition period is for all passengers to follow the instructions from the crew - if crew say masks are required for a flight put them on when asked to do so without challenge or confrontation. They don't make the rules, they are simply following company instructions.
stephenjc, nk15, Misco60 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.