Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Late Cancellation Avios-Issued BA Ticket Under BA Control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late Cancellation Avios-Issued BA Ticket Under BA Control?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Question Late Cancellation Avios-Issued BA Ticket Under BA Control?

I've searched for this and cannot see anything relevant, but apologies if I missed it...

I am due to fly BA on Monday to N. America, on a ticket issued by Avios, i.e. a travel agent, not directly by BA. Immigration requirements mandate taking my Covid test on either Sunday or Monday. What happens if I am positive and cannot fly? I know this is no problem for a BA-issued ticket, under BWC, but Avios does not offer the same protection. Avios is not even open on Sunday, so it would be impossible to cancel after testing but >24hrs before the flight, whatever time I test.

Would BA be able to assist directly, given that my ticket would be under airport control at this point? Do they rebook directly or liaise with Avios to resolve? Otherwise, I am at a loss to see how to avoid risking my Avios and (thankfully!) my last ever Lloyds voucher if I test negative.

Has anyone else been in this situation, with direct experience? Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I presume they are still covered by BWC, so you can go online and claim an FTV if that happens. The voucher complicates matters I guess. But check your travel insurance includes Avios tickets, some do, some don't.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I presume they are still covered by BWC, so you can go online and claim an FTV if that happens. The voucher complicates matters I guess. But check your travel insurance includes Avios tickets, some do, some don't.
I am afraid Lloyds avios voucher bookings are not covered by BWC, so you cannot claim a FTV. They are treated as travel agency bookings and Avios can be a pain to deal with as they do not have the same flexibility. In addition, they are not open all weekend to assist.

I’ve had a few cancelled flights with Avios using Lloyds vouchers, Avios have insisted the flights are rebooked by 24 hours of the flight departure time… also it’s been made clear they will not extend any Lloyds vouchers as these have expired and the scheme has now ended.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by haroon145
I am afraid Lloyds avios voucher bookings are not covered by BWC, so you cannot claim a FTV. They are treated as travel agency bookings and Avios can be a pain to deal with as they do not have the same flexibility. In addition, they are not open all weekend to assist.

I’ve had a few cancelled flights with Avios using Lloyds vouchers, Avios have insisted the flights are rebooked by 24 hours of the flight departure time… also it’s been made clear they will not extend any Lloyds vouchers as these have expired and the scheme has now ended.
In which case it seems the best answer is a combination of insurance and strict self isolation in the days leading up to travel.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, both, that is helpful.

Confirms what I thought, but is there any anecdotal evidence of BA stepping in, once the ticket is under its control?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.