Maximising Tier Points on US Trip

Old Mar 15, 22, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Maximising Tier Points on US Trip

Hello all,

It's been a while!

Am I correct in thinking that if I travel GLA to YVR via LHR there is no tier point allowance for the GLA to LHR leg?

Also, returning from CLT to GLA, is there any advantage to CLT - IAD - LHR over a direct flight CLT - LHR?

Cheers
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post
Hello all,

It's been a while!

Am I correct in thinking that if I travel GLA to YVR via LHR there is no tier point allowance for the GLA to LHR leg?

Also, returning from CLT to GLA, is there any advantage to CLT - IAD - LHR over a direct flight CLT - LHR?

Cheers

HI

If you book in the appropriate fare class you will get tier points and avios for each leg ( ie 40 for club europe gla to lhr)

Also you will get the tier points for clt iad and iad lhr separately ( as long as they are separate flight numbers which they should be. If it is the same flight number then it would likely be tier points for clt lhr direct)
Regards
tbs
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Hello all,

It's been a while!

Cheers
collecting TP or spending TP

If collecting you will earn on each flight, you can see what you get put putting each flight here

British Airways - Collecting Avios

with the extra flight the CLT-IAD-LHR would earn more TP than the same fare class on CLT-LHR but that may not be what is offered when booking "cheapest fare"
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 15, 22 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
HI

If you book in the appropriate fare class you will get tier points and avios for each leg ( ie 40 for club europe gla to lhr)
tbs
I ran the trip through the TP calculator and GLA - YVR was giving me 140 TPs in J - the same as LHR - YVR.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Also you will get the tier points for clt iad and iad lhr separately ( as long as they are separate flight numbers which they should be. If it is the same flight number then it would likely be tier points for clt lhr direct)
Regards
tbs
Different flight numbers so may be worth the hassle.

Cheers
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
collecting TP or spending TP
Great point - Collecting

with the extra flight the CLT-IAD-LHR would earn more TP than the same fare class on CLT-LHR but that may not be what is offered when booking "cheapest fare"
I'll keep an eye on that. cheers
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Thanks!

I ran the trip through the TP calculator and GLA - YVR was giving me 140 TPs in J - the same as LHR - YVR.

Different flight numbers so may be worth the hassle.

Cheers
you need to do each flight separately. the points displayed would be for a direct flight, point to point, so the 140 your being quote would be a direct flight.

I am surprised it let you do GLA to YVR, it usually says they do not fly that route if its not direct, is there a code share?
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:39 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Hello all,

It's been a while!

Cheers
As the others mentioned, you will earn TPs on each leg flown.. It can sometimes easily double your TPs flying by the East coast on the way to the West coast for example. It is also worth bearing in mind that if you are travelling for longer than 5 nights then you could tag on a one day car rental to your booking (often for just about 20) and it will double your tier points across the entire booking (Link to promotion HERE).

If the goal is mainly to maximise on TPs then you could always start outside of the UK and do some silly routes. For example for 1970 in J you can do DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-YVR//CLT-JFK-LHR-DUB (example) for a total of 580 TPs. Throw in a car hire and you have 1160TPs. A little bit more tweaking to that itinerary and you could achieve gold in one trip (e.g. YVR-LAX-CLT can be added for approx 500 extra and would take you to 1520TPs and gold).

Edit: Just realised the fares I found above were based on ticketing through AA on AA filed fares so the BA holidays thing wouldn't work.. But there are still ways to maximise your TPs by booking different routes through BA holidays.
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:44 am

Old Mar 15, 22, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by pogonation View Post
Edit: Just realised the fares I found above were based on ticketing through AA on AA filed fares so the BA holidays thing wouldn't work.. But there are still ways to maximise your TPs by booking different routes through BA holidays.
Also, it has to start in the UK, so an exDUB won't qualify for the double tier points either.
Old Mar 15, 22, 10:55 am
Original Poster

D'oh!

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 22, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pogonation View Post
As the others mentioned, you will earn TPs on It is also worth bearing in mind that if you are travelling for longer than 5 nights then you could tag on a one day car rental to your booking (often for just about 20) and it will double your tier points across the entire booking (Link to promotion HERE).

the above is NOT correct. You will only earn double tier if you add either a hotel or car for the entire booking and you have to do it at the same time as the flight. There are other T&C applies please read the full promotion!!
T8191 and etiene like this.

Search this Thread