What the hecks going on with Taxes & Fees?

Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Booked MLE-LHR-CDG one way in CW using Avios and used an expiring GUF2 to upgrade to F. 142k avios and ~920€ in taxes and fees for the two of us. Now noticed that I could save 12k Avios and 400€ if opting for QR QSuites the whole way. I get that BA F can be as good as (or even sometimes better) than Qsuites but if you take the GUF upgrade out of the equation I would guess not many people would opt for BA CW vs. Qsuites and pay significantly more for the privilege.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Forget taxes, Availability in F seems non existent.

Just done a search to USA cities over the next year and can't see anything, maybe it's the way I'm searching.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
Does one use more fuel when riding up front? BA has gone mad with 700 £ YQ for a J “reward”.
You do realize that those pre-arrival snacks- the plastic-wrapped tea sandwiches- are astronomically expensive, right? 😂
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:42 am

Out of curiosity, is there a summary anywhere of the typical/average ex-UK TFC for different groups of destinations (eg North America, Canada, South Africa, etc). Or are they so varied that this would get really complicated very quickly?

I’m assuming that one doesn’t account for ex-INV or JER.

The reason I ask is that I now have a stash of 3 Companion Vouchers (2 old style, one new), and would like to try to use them efficiently when certain cash prices are so low. That involves balancing various factors including seat (and traveller!) availability, cash prices, and TFC.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by squawk
Out of curiosity, is there a summary anywhere of the typical/average ex-UK TFC for different groups of destinations (eg North America, Canada, South Africa, etc). Or are they so varied that this would get really complicated very quickly?

I’m assuming that one doesn’t account for ex-INV or JER.

The reason I ask is that I now have a stash of 3 Companion Vouchers (2 old style, one new), and would like to try to use them efficiently when certain cash prices are so low. That involves balancing various factors including seat (and traveller!) availability, cash prices, and TFC.
It's relatively straightforward: Assuming J/F rtn you pay
£56 for LHR
£185 APD
Foreign taxes ranging from very little to ~£70

and then the big whopper is YQ
North America £700
China/Japan £300-£400
Sydney £714
Rest of world £500-£600

I assume China/Japan will follow the rest of world trend once meaningful flights resume.

The funny thing is that once you get to the final booking screen US flights (and maybe others?) drop by about £150 below the above numbers, but this only becomes clear at the very final payment stage. So probably a BA.com issue.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Booked MLE-LHR-CDG one way in CW using Avios and used an expiring GUF2 to upgrade to F. 142k avios and ~920€ in taxes and fees for the two of us. Now noticed that I could save 12k Avios and 400€ if opting for QR QSuites the whole way. I get that BA F can be as good as (or even sometimes better) than Qsuites but if you take the GUF upgrade out of the equation I would guess not many people would opt for BA CW vs. Qsuites and pay significantly more for the privilege.
I ditched my LHR-SYD (2for1 voucher used) for the QR equivalent. More points on QR (360k vs 300k) but significant less fees, and a much better product (not Qsuite but a380 with the impressive a380 lounge (bar), the other factor is QR was the best airline of continuing through the pandemic, so youre more likely to have flights running should the worst happen (covid comes back aggressively). Because youre flying first the only advantage BA has is the CCR @ LHR.... but id swap to QR if i could.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
It's relatively straightforward: Assuming J/F rtn you pay
£56 for LHR
£185 APD
Foreign taxes ranging from very little to ~£70

and then the big whopper is YQ
North America £700
China/Japan £300-£400
Sydney £714
Rest of world £500-£600

I assume China/Japan will follow the rest of world trend once meaningful flights resume.

The funny thing is that once you get to the final booking screen US flights (and maybe others?) drop by about £150 below the above numbers, but this only becomes clear at the very final payment stage. So probably a BA.com issue.
Thank you LCY8737 - that's a really helpful summary. I knew bits and pieces (eg APD) but your post lays it out excellently.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Can someone please explain this one for me, 6 seats EDI-LHR-MCO in Y for next year (06/02 out, 21/02 in)?

For a straight Avios booking I get:
360,000 (60k each) Avios + £150 each per person +Taxes shows as £0, Total £900.

If I switch to using 2 x 2-4-1 Vouchers in my account I then get.
130,000 Avios + £0.00 each per person + Taxes £319.78, Total £1,918.68.

Saving 230,000 Avios for around £1,000 which seems like a good idea.
Wouldn't normally consider any awards in Y but being Voucher and Avios a plenty something I'm looking at.

I can't figure out why the difference from Zero to lots of taxes.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
Can someone please explain this one for me, 6 seats EDI-LHR-MCO in Y for next year (06/02 out, 21/02 in)?

For a straight Avios booking I get:
360,000 (60k each) Avios + £150 each per person +Taxes shows as £0, Total £900.

If I switch to using 2 x 2-4-1 Vouchers in my account I then get.
130,000 Avios + £0.00 each per person + Taxes £319.78, Total £1,918.68.

Saving 230,000 Avios for around £1,000 which seems like a good idea.
Wouldn't normally consider any awards in Y but being Voucher and Avios a plenty something I'm looking at.

I can't figure out why the difference from Zero to lots of taxes.

I would say its offering reward flight saver which would be a fixed fee instead of taxes?
pmcg likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
I would say its offering reward flight saver which would be a fixed fee instead of taxes?
Thanks, that will be it.
RFS on general redemption but not offered on the 2-4-1 redemption.

Pity as I'd have jumped at this if I could have used the RFS with the vouchers.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737
So the new YQ on UK-US-UK is £700 for J/F. For Avios tickets this drops to £550, but only at the actual payment stage. Does anybody know why?
I just made a post about this here: WT+ to CW upgrade using Avios - which tax/charge difference?

Any idea?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:05 pm

Revenue "business special" J fare SJC-LHR-SJC in June. The taxes are more than the fare. Crazy
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My upgrade J->F using a GUF2 elicited a tax increase of £54. A week ago, it had been less than £20 and so waived by the call centre.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by just_starting
I just made a post about this here: WT+ to CW upgrade using Avios - which tax/charge difference?

Any idea?
I would guess it is a ba.com bug (wouldn't be the first, won't be the last). But it really only is a guess.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
This kind of passed me by - but tried to change a redemption to return from IAD instead of BWI in J - they wanted about £150 extra each in taxes (+£35 change fee) !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.