Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA removes requirement for masks from Wednesday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA removes requirement for masks from Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:34 pm

I much prefer wearing a mask to catching COVID...
Schultzois, cad-spe, hbtr and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I may have to report your username to trading standards
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by GavT_london
Schapps said 18th for covid restrictions inc PLF . Masks are obviously no longer a govt mandate - but a continuation of policy by Heathrow and the airlines
That's what I'm afraid will happen here in the U.S. if the majors collude when/if the TSA mandate is allowed to end.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:25 pm

I haven’t been bothered by masks much, although I know many who seem to despise them. What I hate is the uncertainty around documentation requirements, last minute test results, whether some QR code gets generated or not, whether your vaccine status is accepted for travel to UK but then if one unvaccinated passenger on your flight tested positive a week later you are ordered to self-isolate because your non-NHS vaccination status is recognized by immigration but not by some other body… this last bit all happened to me personally in September, the only time I’ve been in UK in the last two years.

And then four months later I tested positive in Finland at the airport and had to isolate there… even though I was vaccinated twice and had already been infected once before!

Things do seem to be moving fast, however, and I have doubts as to that being a good thing. Today France has basically scrapped its entire “pass sanitaire” regulation, which less than two months ago they made more strict in terms of vaccine requirements as opposed to just testing. So it seems like we’re on a rollercoaster, and until now each time the rollercoaster has settled down into a calm place, there’s been a quiet thing carrying you back up to another crest where everyone goes 😱 again.

I can’t wait to move past this and not worry every time I book a flight if I’m going to be able to fly it, but the drastic swings from one end to the other don’t seem encouraging to me either. I hope I’m wrong, but I can picture the coronavirus doing a tik-tok now as it plans it’s next trip.
jrfsp320 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Good news! The end of the requirement to wear masks does not come with a prohibition on wearing them for those who wish.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by volabam
Good news! The end of the requirement to wear masks does not come with a prohibition on wearing them for those who wish.
riiiiiiiiiight… but it does mean increasing the possibility of someone not wearing a mask spewing the virus on everyone around them and indeed infecting not just unmasked people around them, but masked people as well, as the transmission of one’s spittle (I prefer that to whatever the scientific term is) increases greatly when there’s no barrier.

Perhaps we can go back to pre-1990 days but instead of separating passengers according to smoking/non-smoking, it’s open mouth/nose and covered mouth/nose.

I hate these masks, too, but we’re going to be seeing them a lot of time longer if we keep taking steps to generate more variants and have new surges.
cad-spe and hbtr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Schultzois
So it seems like we’re on a rollercoaster, and until now each time the rollercoaster has settled down into a calm place, there’s been a quiet thing carrying you back up to another crest where everyone goes 😱 again.
I agree we're on a rollercoaster but I think it's more like that last drop before the end of the ride. It will take more than "OMG CASES" to get the public to accept restrictions again once they're gone.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by volabam
I agree we're on a rollercoaster but I think it's more like that last drop before the end of the ride. It will take more than "OMG CASES" to get the public to accept restrictions again once they're gone.
Praise be to Concorde in the sky (I’m not religious, but I believe there’s something up there ) I hope so. This is one ride I need to get off.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:18 pm

So this means if I’m traveling from the US to the UK then masks will not be required?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Indeed - it is amazing how many Heathrow staff have developed hidden disabilities since the lockdown.
They are about to get some real ones now....

Last edited by nk15; Mar 14, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Echo One
So this means if I’m traveling from the US to the UK then masks will not be required?
Not likely. The U.S. sets those rules, not BA.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by xxxxx
BA will remove the requirement for masks on flights where the destination does not require them from Wednesday.
The way this reads implies that mask should be worn for the duration of the flight to destinations that require them. Do we have clarification on this?

I personally will try to avoid BA if I can for now, which may not be easy as it is the main OW partner in Europe...
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:37 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we are forced to close this thread yet again for a clean-up. We really do have better things to do with our time.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.