Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What Is The Matter With This Once Proud Airline??

Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:09 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

We are currently sitting on the BA589 from LIN that landed at LHR pretty much on-time at 15:15. We then took about 20 minutes to park on stand, pilot announcing, "we are at our stand but waiting for someone to turn on the guidance". Then it was announced we would have, "about a 20 minute wait for buses" and just the one turned up after about 15 minutes. So rows 1-12 made it off and we are now sitting here waiting for the next bus and the pilot announced, "we have requested it but we really don't know when it will be here".

It is now almost 55 minutes from when we landed and there are a lot of very angry passengers now. Why is it BA just cannot get even the basics right????
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I remember that happening to me at LHR over 35 years ago!! No Flyertalk back then right enough.
Dan72, IAMORGAN, RJD1983 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Im not excusing the poor ground handling, but very angry after a 55 min delay?

Repeat after me, and relax
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
Im not excusing the poor ground handling, but very angry after a 55 min delay?

Repeat after me, and relax
I think it's perfectly reasonable to be angry after being made to wait an hour to leave the plane.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Misco60
I think it's perfectly reasonable to be angry after being made to wait an hour to leave the plane.

hi

Especially on a day with no adverse conditions.
I'm sure the crew are equally fed up as they may have another flight to get to or go home znd they cannot leave until the pax do
Hopefully any luggage will be delivered to the belt by the time the pax get there ( had a 90min wait at bag reclaim in november)
Regards

Tbs
Sealink, gypsyjaney, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have said this before on FT, but for the last year as passenger numbers and flights have increased BA operationally has been very poor. It was never this bad pre covid. On time performance has been very poor as well - and that is in benign conditions with often minimal or no holding and few if any slot restrictions which has allowed a lot of time to be made up enroute. Once LHR gets back closer to capacity that won't cover up the issue as much. Also weekends in particular have suffered from lack of staff as we have seen with numerous reports over the last few months - I can only imagine the goodwill for staff to step up and offer to do overtime to help has completely gone.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I don't imagine anyone connecting to an onward flight would be too impressed either.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gfl, GGL
I think a lot of people are getting frustrated as there seems to be problems everywhere at the moment. I've generally always had a very positive experience with BA and when things have gone wrong they have sorted them very quickly and fairly.

More recently, I am starting to get irritated when, on multiple occasions, TPs/miles do not post, flights drop from my account, I can't even access the website at all, or it keeps crashing, doesn't function, requiring me to call/email a few times to get things sorted.

I can feel myself becoming less tolerant of the whole organisation and I haven't (yet) experienced any operational issues during travel.
T8191, becks1, Ms.O and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA
I landed back in to Heathrow at the weekend on BA and we had to wait for guidance, fortunately the wait was less than 2 minutes, this was a common problem pre Covid. Like others I wonder how much worse this will get as BA add capacity back in.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You may notice at the moment sometimes the HAL ground ops people are helping by going around and marshalling aircraft on to stands on T5 when stand guidance has not been turned on due to lack of BA staff. Not ideal, and HAL shouldn't have to do this, but I guess gets them some practice and more importantly gets the plane off the taxiway.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I remember that happening to me at LHR over 35 years ago!! No Flyertalk back then right enough.
Sorry OP, you should grin and bear it as it also happened to HIDDY 35 years ago.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by chessers1
I think a lot of people are getting frustrated as there seems to be problems everywhere at the moment. I've generally always had a very positive experience with BA and when things have gone wrong they have sorted them very quickly and fairly.

More recently, I am starting to get irritated when, on multiple occasions, TPs/miles do not post, flights drop from my account, I can't even access the website at all, or it keeps crashing, doesn't function, requiring me to call/email a few times to get things sorted.

I can feel myself becoming less tolerant of the whole organisation and I haven't (yet) experienced any operational issues during travel.
So I'm not the only one who is at the end of their tether with the abject failure of BA to deliver a working and reliable website and App.

I login in to my account every single day and I cannot remember the last time it functioned without any errors or missing data.

Utterly hopeless and not good enough.

If only someone cared enough to make change happen.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And they wouldn't let some fine upstanding member of the legal community's nanny sit on his lap the other week according to Keith. Or was it Keith's mum?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
It's been a profitable time for me with EU261 compensation recently, primarily due to the IT failure, but also 1 for a staff shortage. I'm quite happy claiming as it would cost BA less to increase wages to improve their chances of hiring for the vacancies.

Anyway, with recent flights on BA, Iberia and Finnair, only one airline's emails fill me with anxiety that I'll be stuck abroad overnight or have a creeping delay, and it's BA. Yesterday's T3 service that took a 90 minute delay because whilst there as a tug and driver, the only free headset walker was at T5, was a new low. Usually it's the arriving at a defective jetbridge after a stand guidance delay before CE is last to disembark via rear steps dance that seems to curse me.

I know easyJet exist, and if I could get to Gatwick more easily I would use them more, it's getting to that point.
Silver Fox, becks1 and greggrant like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
We are currently sitting on the BA589 from LIN that landed at LHR pretty much on-time at 15:15. We then took about 20 minutes to park on stand, pilot announcing, "we are at our stand but waiting for someone to turn on the guidance". Then it was announced we would have, "about a 20 minute wait for buses" and just the one turned up after about 15 minutes. So rows 1-12 made it off and we are now sitting here waiting for the next bus and the pilot announced, "we have requested it but we really don't know when it will be here".

It is now almost 55 minutes from when we landed and there are a lot of very angry passengers now. Why is it BA just cannot get even the basics right????
I arrived yesterday and the captain blamed the design of T5 for our delay getting onto stand. Took over 20 minutes. Not that it mattered, 65 minutes to through immigration with the queue reaching back to A22 and doubling back towards the lifts from B and C gates. I know thats not BA but it just piles misery on misery.
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.