Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will BA move others to seat family together?

Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Hi All,

I have a booking coming up in a few weeks where I'm flying LGW-TPA with my 2 sons both under 12. They're on two separate bookings as one is reward and the other cash.
I've been able to book mine and 1 son seats as I'm Silver, I was going to book my other son and pay for the seat but there was no 3 seats together (In Club World)
Reading here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...travel/seating BA say "All children under 12 will be seated with an accompanying adult." So when we go to check in, will they move other people so the 3 of us can sit together?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Oli Venn
Hi All,

I have a booking coming up in a few weeks where I'm flying LGW-TPA with my 2 sons both under 12. They're on two separate bookings as one is reward and the other cash.
I've been able to book mine and 1 son seats as I'm Silver, I was going to book my other son and pay for the seat but there was no 3 seats together (In Club World)
Reading here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...travel/seating BA say "All children under 12 will be seated with an accompanying adult." So when we go to check in, will they move other people so the 3 of us can sit together?

Thanks
If on same booking, they might - but on separate where they would have no idea that you are travelling together (and technically you are not) I would doubt it.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, someone "next to" so could be adjacent / opp aisle / front or back will be moved to accommodate under 12s

What's the date so this can be checked on EF ?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
If on same booking, they might - but on separate where they would have no idea that you are travelling together (and technically you are not) I would doubt it.
They will move someone to accommodate a child regardless of same or separate tickets
Anonba likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes they will, they moved myself and my husband from our reserved paid for seats in Club World and separated us on our Wedding/honeymoon to accommodate a family...
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
They will ensure that each of your sons sits next to, behind, or in front of an accompanying adult (in that case you if it is only the three of you).

They might achieve that by moving someone else to put your second son in one of those places, but they could also move you in the process if it is easier to find a trio of seats meeting their requirements elsewhere in the cabin. I would recommend calling them to mention this to them asap as indeed they won't be able to see the issue in advance if the second booking is separate.

Also note that if it is more than one adult (e.g. two adults and two children), they won't move people to seat all - for example - 4 people together, just each minor under 12 with one adult so it could be 2 + 2 or 3 + 1 for instance.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What you should do between 3 and 2 days to departure, when the booking gets migrated to FLY is to ring the Contact Centre and see if they arrange something before OLCI opens up.
BravoKilo, YacozA and Mekko like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:20 pm

It’s not very fair that people who have chosen specific seats get shuffled about imo
SK, bwallet, Vaclav and 44 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:25 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by anniegray
Its not very fair that people who have chosen specific seats get shuffled about imo
100% agree. Particularly when a pax has paid extra tor seats too, ie, the lady upthread who was moved from paid for seats on their honeymoon and separated
SK, bwallet, Vaclav and 26 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
I would agree, but suspect you don't want to sit next to my four year old either so I guess a compromise has to be found.
It's not great I admit if it happens to you and especially in the circumstance as stated.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by carat22
I would agree, but suspect you don't want to sit next to my four year old either so I guess a compromise has to be found.
It's not great I admit if it happens to you and especially in the circumstance as stated.
4 yrs next to are not a problem, rarely even happens as I will give up by window seat gladly, and ask their accompanying adult to the middle. It is a problem usually when they are behind you . Not sure why a surprisingly large no of kids like to kick the seat in front
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by carat22
I don't know. The 4 year old will probably be better behaved than some adults I've seen.
nollag, orbitmic and cameramaker like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I agree with most comments here-the poster is willing to buy seats-they just aren't there. I get very frustrated when a family won't take action themselves and make it others' problems.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I agree with most comments here-the poster is willing to buy seats-they just aren't there. I get very frustrated when a family won't take action themselves and make it others' problems.
Did the OP have options to arrange and pay for seating choice weeks / months ago though ?
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Did the OP have options to arrange and pay for seating choice weeks / months ago though ?
I could be wrong, but I read the OP as having the issue at time of booking. "I was going to book one of my sons and pay for the seat, but there were not three seats together."
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.